It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do I bring my dog or not?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
If you plan to "bug out", and you have a dog, I think you know that he's coming with you.
Some people might consider a dog a drain on resources, or even a possible food source. A dog can be a very valuable survival buddy though. The advantages of bringing your canine friend with you, are many. They can carry their own upkeep, and then some. They often find food for you, hopefully without getting hurt. They will sometimes kill the food and begin eating it.
They will protect you from potential danger, and are more resistant to many hardships that would hospitalize a person. A dog in your sleeping bag can also be the difference between freezing to death, or living to fight another day.

Many people that do have dogs, would not want to part ways with their beloved friend under any circumstances, so why not train him to help you carry some of things that you'll both need in a survival situation? I've used a backpack on my dog before, and it's a good way to keep things like fresh water, and small knickknacks from being left at home, or adding extra weight to your own pack.

Put the backpack on without anything in the pockets at first. Let your dog get used to it. Go for 2-4 walks with the backpack empty. If your dog is ignoring the backpack after 2-4 walks (many dogs even become eager to put it on once they connect the backpack to a walk), begin adding weight a little at a time. Go by the size of your dog. For our Irish Setter, I started with a 12-ounce bottle of water on each side. For a Cocker Spaniel, I would start with an orange or something of similar weight. Be sure you have even weight on each side of the backpack. Go for 2-4 walks with each weight before adding more. Keep the first walk with the new heavier weight short; don’t try to do a two-mile hike if you’ve just added weight. Do not add more than 10% of your dog’s own weight to the backpacks. For a 25-lb dog, don’t add more than two and a half pounds total (a pound and a quarter on each side). In the summertime, larger dogs can haul chilled bottles of water. This can help cool the dog. Owners of small dogs sometimes use beans to add weight to their dogs’ packs. Beans conform to the dog’s body, making the load comfortable. Plus, you have good control over exactly how much weight you add, and can add more in small increments.

source

The above 10% statement is debatable among dog owners. 10% is the lowest figure, and 25% is the high figure. My dog does well with up to 25% unless the weather is hot. He's about 70 lbs and a very sturdy built dog. I would say, the thicker the dog's bone and muscle structure, the more they can carry towards 25%, but if they're a skinny dog, stay around 10%.

Once you have your dog trained, you need to decide what exactly you're going to put in here. The first thing you need to add to the pack, will be the dog's things. His medication to avoid heart worms is a good one if you're going to be roughing it, flee repellent treatment, and at least a food/water bowl. You need to bring the bowls because drinking from a pool of water or eating from the ground will increase the risk of heart worm. These basics should only weigh a very little, leaving you plenty of room for things that both of you can use, like fresh water, food, or other small survival supplies.

edit on 16-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I have owned and still do huskies living in the Rockies and always strap a pack on them when hiking /camping in the back country. They seem to love the extra work and it keeps them from wandering too far off
. I pack their food supply, a couple treats and maybe a thing or two of my own just to balance out the load
. Just be sure to waterproof the load and you're good to go.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Just my observations, but in my experience unless your dog is a trained hunting dog, or a military/police working dog. It will be a liability. Drug and bomb sniffing dogs are pretty useless also.

My opinion, eat the dog.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
If I can't take my dog I'm staying home.

It's the only thing I completely trust.

However, there are downsides.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Sounds like your dog could use some training.

Most of the larger or even medium breeds can be competent hunters/workers with a little bit of training. It's not that hard to get your house pet "bush capable".

edit on 16-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I don't know about you guys, but my dog is extremely protective of the 'home'
He can hear a branch break through a wall 2 miles away and he's immediately prowling around trying to find the source of the noise. I already live in my bug out location (as a caretaker at a dam in the middle of a forest), so I don't think anyone will bother me. The house is also perfect, as it has a window on either side that begins at the knee and ends at around the waist (I don't know what's up with that, but it's a perfect window for my dog)

Honestly, I wouldn't feel safe in a SHTF PAW without my dog.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
If I can't take my dog I'm staying home.

It's the only thing I completely trust.

However, there are downsides.

I know how you feel. Mine's older, spoiled and on meds so I guess we'd just stay put too. Plus I live in the country so I'd probably have it better than a lot of others. Plus she'll bark and let you know if anyone's near the property

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I guess the answer to that question depends:

If it's a chihuahua, don't bother.
If it's a rottweiler, absolutely !

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

Sounds like your dog could use some training.

Or marinade,,,,,,,,,

I hadn't considered the option of not taking my dog, but I will train him with a pack. He is always eager to please and large enough to carry a significant load. Just the extra pair of eyes and ears would be enough for me to sleep better and short of shooting him nobody could get near my daughter and I without me telling him it is ok. We have taught him some things in two languages with the idea of being able to use the alternative language in a confrontational situation without an intruder/attacker knowing what I told him.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
I guess the answer to that question depends:

If it's a chihuahua, don't bother.
If it's a rottweiler, absolutely !

Perfect answer. That was the first thing that went through my mind. A chihuahua would be pretty cute with a teeny tiny little backpack full of bonbons though.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Hi, our dog is an Old Country Bulldog, Freud weighs in at 37kg & has four months left of being a pup. He comes from stock that is trained to bring small cattle down with his paws & also his large mouth without hurting them. He is in peak physical condition, he jogs 3 miles with me in 33 minutes & manages on our 10 mile jogs as long as we rest & I give him water & snacks. I however, have always carried the rucksack as I enjoy carrying the weight but because he has undergone obedience classes & various other off radar training by myself I am now thinking of training him to carry his own supplies.

Your thread has given me the push in the right direction to go about starting a new regime with him. I certainly wouldn't leave him as he would be a help not a hindrance to me and my family in a SHTF scenario.

Thanks for the thread, S&F to you for remembering our loyal, trustworthy friends.

All the best, many thanks.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

I can't stand those dogs. Are they really dogs? I think they're rats with muzzles.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I am currently dogless.

I agree that dogs can be very useful with carrying things or finding food. But the vast majority of house dogs tend bark and growl, which comes in handy if you are defending your camp. If you are trying to remain undetected though, that doesn't work out too well.

Also, dogs rely on instincts not logic. Where a human will continue when they are exhausted, because stopping to rest could mean capture or death. When a dog gets tired it is going to stop and rest until it isn't tired anymore.
edit on 16-10-2011 by watchitburn because: grammar

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
it's an excellent idea. they are walking hamburgers. in fact a whole team would be better.

you should also have a variety of seeds. potatoes, corn, tomatoes, carrots, onions etc.

when things cool down you can start planting. and in the fall you can make corn mash whiskey to get you thru the cold bitter nuclear winter.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Sounds like you've never owned a good dog. A good dog will sacrifice a lot just to please you. As a responsible owner you should never ask that of a good dog, because they will give you their last breath if they think it will please you.

As far as barking or growling, oh well. This isn't Rambo, we're not sneaking into the enemy camp here, we just wanna live. If it ever comes down to it, put your hand around his muzzle and pat his head.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I have a neighbor with one and he is a weird little guy. I know I never have to worry about my daughter when she takes her Rottweiler for a walk though. Even in an everyday non SHTF scenario that is priceless.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
We have a Basset Hound, he is a good hunter
but a little on the slow side otherwise. Doesn't
matter, he will go along with us - the cat can ride
on his back in a pack. Won't be going anyplace
without my family and they are part of my family.
edit on 16-10-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I own 5 Foxhounds

Guess I'll be surviving on rats and small rodents

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Okay, I just asked my cat if she'd be willing to "bug out" with me since I don't have a dog at present.

She said she'd get back to me on that one... apparently she needs some time to think about it.

(I think she's pissed at me for feeding her dried kibbles everyday, and meanwhile in a SHTF scenario I'm expecting her to catch rodents, birds, and chihuahuas for our in-between mealtime snacks.)

Maybe I should start feeding her tuna ?
Cats are so damn fussy.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The reasons dogs became domesticated was because they have proven themselves to be valuable for us. Their sense of smell and hearing are so much more developed than ours they are great sentries. Their loyalty and protectiveness is without question. If you have a well trained dog you are better equipped for what may come.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join