It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OWS won't last, but not for the reasons you may think.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
First of all, I come to you as an objective citizen, without any political attachment. The gave up on cheering for teams a long time ago when I stopped watching television, but that doesn't mean I don't pay heavy attention to the world as a whole on an every day basis. I find it much easier to navigate life looking at the big picture.

Though I admire the fortitude and courage of the OWS protesters for finally standing up for the 99%, I see one huge flaw.

OWS is not all encompassing. Wall street and the Bankers are not our only problem. It's just one quarter in the change bucket.

In order to grab the attention of EVERY world citizen is to point out that the ship we are all sailing is untenable. There are no more fixes and the life rafts were thrown overboard long ago.

The only reason any politician would back this movement is to detract attention from themselves.

Solution:

So... What are you gonna do?

edit on 10/16/2011 by Tapped In because: Grammar

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Winter will happen.
People will get cold and go home.
The die hards will freeze and lose morale and wander off quietly.
Some desperate hangers on will show up from time to time to wave signs, but, as the actual occupiers freeze and wander off to find a warm place, and lose resolve, as numbers dwindle, interest will wane.
The movement won't be as trendy or sexy as it is now when it actually involves some real discomfort and risk from winter weather.

Winter has always been a hard test on any cause. Winter almost cost George Washington his army in the revolution.
As much as I support some of the ideas of the Occupy movement, I have little faith in it lasting too far into the holiday season.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Yeah probably... but the reasons for the protests will still be here when spring comes.
I guess food and shelter will still be sexy and trendy next year...

Its foolish to expect this movement to tear down the kleptocracy in a few weeks.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I agree, its not all encompassing. We need a human cause, something all of us can rally behind. For me, it always has and will be space expansion. Global population growth and global warming will soon be the big "revolution" topics, but its already too late. We are too late, unless we start expansion now.

~aaron

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I heard from an inside source that THEY are planning to release a modified zombie ant fungus on some free pizza... in the toppings Im sure... and start the zombie apocalypse. Or they already did and these protests are the result of such actions.... one of the 2. It was hard to hear the super secret source though the crinkling of my tinfoil.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I can tell by our post, that you never attended an event.

The protests are indeed representative of all people.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, can address the group, and say anything they want.

The whole purpose of this exercise is to have an valid intellectual discourse on the state of our society, and what we can do to fix it.

Get down there, and engage your neighbors, make your voice heard, do not fear.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AaronWilson

I agee with you. Something like that on a big enough scale would jump-start the economy and create tons of jobs. Unfortunately, there are too many in power that are too short-sited to see that.

Plus it would be tons o' fun!

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
From my views on it, and actually going to a local occupy. It really is about everything. There is someone, in the crowd, that knows something is wrong, about this, that, and the other thing. It will become even more encompassing when the recession hits, there are people in DC occupying, And still growing everywhere.
The agenda is, ALOT of the worlds problems stem from Big business. When you start digging into it, you realize its true.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Junkheap

I know, its the simplest solution to the global problem, us. We; people, we're of good intentions for the most part but we just keep on multiplying. An ever expanding force that needs ever more natural resources, yet we deal with our natural resources as an ever lasting infinite source like we treat wealth and money, but it simply is not. Once fresh water becomes a global issue, we will no longer be chanting "stop wallstreet" but "i need water to survive".

Also, space expansion would be a fun adventure for us all to unite over

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
reply to post by Junkheap

I know, its the simplest solution to the global problem, us. We; people, we're of good intentions for the most part but we just keep on multiplying. An ever expanding force that needs ever more natural resources, yet we deal with our natural resources as an ever lasting infinite source like we treat wealth and money, but it simply is not. Once fresh water becomes a global issue, we will no longer be chanting "stop wallstreet" but "i need water to survive".

Also, space expansion would be a fun adventure for us all to unite over

Agreed. We need to fix # now, Big business owns almost all the worlds resources.. and we're using them at an exponential rate, they are finite, and we need to stop using them. Free Energy, Access to black project tech to revolutionize the planet. If you listen to certain things, we already have a lot of this tech buried in the military.

Imagine..

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
They only way to fix the problem is if some generals in the us military decide 'enough is enough', and arrest all those in govt, their corrupt leaders in the top echleon of the military, all those in cia, nsa.
Then you can make a fresh start.

In the interim, they assign groups of "3 top scholars, 1 constitutional expert, and 1 human rights expert" to oversea and rebuild each main government component.

Once everything is rewritten and established as workable(by the 3), constitutional, and in accordance with the rights of the citizens,
things will be ready to start voting for a new govt.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tapped In
Though I admire the fortitude and courage of the OWS protesters for finally standing up for the 99%, I see one huge flaw.

OWS is not all encompassing. Wall street and the Bankers are not our only problem. It's just one quarter in the change bucket.

Actually, yes, they are. Name a problem, and I can help trace it back to the crazy world of monopoly-money finance, and its corrupting influence on our (previously) representative government.

In order to grab the attention of EVERY world citizen is to point out that the ship we are all sailing is untenable. There are no more fixes and the life rafts were thrown overboard long ago.

Small point - it's actually hte rest of the world that's been struggling for twenty years to make this clear to Americans.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Small point - it's actually hte rest of the world that's been struggling for twenty years to make this clear to Americans.

Thank you, I stand corrected. Now America has to see for herself.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The numbers are growing by the day as it's the single fastest growing movement in recent memory. To say it won't last is a major disservice to the people standing up to the crud.

30,000,000 internationally hardly determines this as a failure.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
"So... What are you gonna do? "

Have fun doing everything churches & politicians tell me not to.. in private.

imo once you divorce yourself from the obvious joke "the system" has become.. you're free. Free to float around, experiment with taboo.. nourish your soul with unique experiences. Free from worry about one word liar politicians belch, left vs right fallacy, media personalities "news".. party leaders & people on tv are spineless puke liars with almost zero historic credibility.. laugh at them, they want you to take them seriously.

Graft the system before it grafts you... e-bay grilled cheese sandwiches with a fake virgin mary shadow, swing around a brass pole for cash.. do whatever you're good at without apologies.. but outside the "norm".

Playing by the rules is dull.. life is short, death is long.. go out and experience as many thing as you can and ignore idiot "leaders". They're going to drag people to aggressive wars and all that.. dont be part of that history.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by GovtFlu
"So... What are you gonna do? "

Have fun doing everything churches & politicians tell me not to.. in private.

imo once you divorce yourself from the obvious joke "the system" has become.. you're free. Free to float around, experiment with taboo.. nourish your soul with unique experiences. Free from worry about one word liar politicians belch, left vs right fallacy, media personalities "news".. party leaders & people on tv are spineless puke liars with almost zero historic credibility.. laugh at them, they want you to take them seriously.

Graft the system before it grafts you... e-bay grilled cheese sandwiches with a fake virgin mary shadow, swing around a brass pole for cash.. do whatever you're good at without apologies.. but outside the "norm".

Playing by the rules is dull.. life is short, death is long.. go out and experience as many thing as you can and ignore idiot "leaders". They're going to drag people to aggressive wars and all that.. dont be part of that history.

Awesome! I'm with you... It's all gonna fall down anyway. Have a ball until then.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327
They only way to fix the problem is if some generals in the us military decide 'enough is enough', and arrest all those in govt, their corrupt leaders in the top echleon of the military, all those in cia, nsa.
Then you can make a fresh start.

In the interim, they assign groups of "3 top scholars, 1 constitutional expert, and 1 human rights expert" to oversea and rebuild each main government component.

Once everything is rewritten and established as workable(by the 3), constitutional, and in accordance with the rights of the citizens,
things will be ready to start voting for a new govt.

What exactly is it you want re-written?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Rewrite all laws that benefit the rich and that is it. Repeal all laws that benefit the rich, restore the level playing field that this nation enjoyed fully up until 1980.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheImmaculateD1
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Rewrite all laws that benefit the rich and that is it. Repeal all laws that benefit the rich, restore the level playing field that this nation enjoyed fully up until 1980.

You mean the tax code? You want it rewritten to soak the wealthy.....?

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Tapped In

OWS overall is a large group of people, each with their own "list" of problems. They stand united in their opposition, for a single principal that they're all against and sick of. That is why they will last, because many others are also feeling the same way. That's why everyone is scared.

edit on 17-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join