It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stuff the .50BMG sniper rifle - Say hello to the 20mm BTW

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
This anti-materiel rifle is interesting from the two points of view:
- its function and purpose;
- methods of dealing with recoil.

The rifle is built around two cartridges: the South African MG151 20x83.5 mm and the Russian API or API-T 14.5x114 mm. Optionally, and for the purpose of decreasing cost of training, the rifle can be made in caliber 12.7 mm.

In 20-mm format the rifle fires the 20x83.5 MG151 cartridge fired by the Vektor 20-mm GA1 cannon; the round is manufactured by Pretoria Metal Pressings (PMP). Ammunition natures fired by the NTW-20 include HEI, HEI-T, SAPHEI and Practice. Muzzle velocity is 720 m/sec and the operational range is given as up to 1,500 meters. In 14.5-mm form the cartridge fired is the Russian 14.5x114 in API and API-T form; muzzle velocity is 1,800 m/sec and a maximum effective range up to 2,300 meters.

Changing from one caliber to another takes less than 60 seconds. The barrel, bolt, magazine and sighting equipment can be interchanged between the two calibers as required

SPECIFICATIONS
20-mm version

Cartridge: 20x83.5 mm MG151.
Operation: manual bolt action.
Feed: 3-round box-type, detachable magazine.
Weight, empty, kg: 26.
Overall length, mm: 1,795
Rifling: 1 full turn in 560 mm.
Length of barrel, mm: 1,000
Muzzle velocity, m/sec: 720
Muzzle energy, J: 28,500
Effective range, m: > 1,500

14.5-mm version
Cartridge: 14.5x114 mm Russian.
Operation: manual bolt action.
Feed: 3-round box-type, detachable magazine.
Weight, empty, kg: 29.
Overall length, mm: 2,015
Rifling: 1 full turn in 406 mm.
Length of barrel, mm: 1,220
Muzzle velocity, m/sec: 1,080
Muzzle energy, J: 30,675
Effective range, m: > 2,300

www.club.guns.ru...

This sucker makes the Barret 50's look like peashooters. The range of the 14.5mm in far longer than a .50 and the 14.5 carries 3 times the energy.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
"...say hello to my BOOMSTICK!!"

- Ash
EVIL DEAD 2
(Dead By Dawn)

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Yeah, Barrett brought out a 25mm Sniper rifle a while back, discussed in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
Yeah, Barrett brought out a 25mm Sniper rifle a while back, discussed in this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm more impressed by the power and range of the 14.5mm round.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I don't quite understand the concept.
First of all,it is bolt action.Good enough for any sniper weapon.But why bother with a three round box magazine? It should be one hit ,one kill,for that is the only chance you will get,they do not pose for you.
Next,how do you recognize the target at 1000 plus meters? My experience told me that most cannot even hit a man sized target beyond 300. At extreme ranges,heat shimmer,wind,defraction...forget it.
Next,like the Israelis said in "Sword of Gideon", "Perhaps you are hunting elephants?"
With the range so great and the weapon so big,you would need some setting up. A 7.62 mm has always been good enough,and portable.

[edit on 30-8-2004 by stgeorge]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by stgeorge
First of all,it is bolt action.Good enough for any sniper weapon.But why bother with a three round box magazine? It should be one hit ,one kill,for that is the only chance you will get,they do not pose for you.
Next,how do you recognize the target at 1000 plus meters? My experience told me that most cannot even hit a man sized target beyond 300. At extreme ranges,heat shimmer,wind,defraction...forget it.
Next,like the Israelis said in "Sword of Gideon", "Perhaps you are hunting elephants?"
With the range so great and the weapon so big,you would need some setting up. A 7.62 mm has always been good enough,and portable.

You're missing the point it's an anti-material rifle, vehicle sized targets are easily distinguishable at 2km. Obviously the 7.62 wasn't good enough otherwise the US military wouldn't be ordering .50 sniping rifles in large amounts.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Originally posted by stgeorge

You're missing the point it's an anti-material rifle, vehicle sized targets are easily distinguishable at 2km. Obviously the 7.62 wasn't good enough otherwise the US military wouldn't be ordering .50 sniping rifles in large amounts.

well the .50 is good for an open battlefield but it looses its edge in cities and small battlefields. Hey it's even at a disadvantage in these areas ( too heavy ....)
so u can't say the 7.62 isn't good enough each one is suited for a type of warfare

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Give me A Steyr Aug in close quarters any day.

OWNED!

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
What does that mean? The article says sniper which is anti-personel. Materiel as in vehicles?
Troops are not out in the open all alone with these super-rifles,they are tranported in carriers or AIFV's. If on patrol they are on foot and cannot carry these.
In fact,does a big rifle like this leave a large signature or report? Then the AIFV's would pour HE your way with something heavier.
A 20 or 14.5mm might do some damage but it will not destroy a vehicle. You were laughing at that Russian 14.5mm Anti-tank rifle they had during WW2.Same idea. 2 meteres long!

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Vehicles like jet aircraft, mobile radar plarforms, limos etc.

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Jet aircraft? You think you would get within a thousand meters of an airport with that thing? Because I don't think you can elevate it to fire in the air.

new topics

top topics

join