It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Compass [#Occ]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
“What were you thinking??? You shouldn’t have gone! What if you were recognized?” I said. “Daddy, I……..”

“NO! You will not wriggle out of this! You should’ve been working on your algebra, not roaming the streets with who knows what kind of freaks and maniacs! Do you realize what you have done??? You could’ve been kidnapped, you could’ve been hurt or………… I……… I don’t even want to think about it. I’m VERY disappointed in you, and so is your mother. Chuck is going to take you to your room, and I want you to stay there and think very hard about what you’ve done. Your mother and I will discuss this, and will send for you later.”

I was trying to keep my cool. What a foolish thing; didn’t she even think about us, or what could’ve happened to her???

“Who’s Chuck?” she said, twirling her hair in that little girl way that she used to get what she wanted. Well, that tactic wasn’t going to work anymore.

“Chuck has replaced Irving. Irv and William are gone. Listen, I know you and Irv got along, but we’ll find somebody else for you to practice your piano with. Think about that while you’re in your room – you cost two good men their jobs, and there may be others,” I fumed. I can’t remember the last time she ticked me off this much. Irv and William apparently not only let her give them the slip, but didn’t report it for nearly an hour later. They won’t work in this town again, and I don’t give a damn what happens to them.

“I’m going BACK, Daddy! It matters! YOU should be there too!!!” she wailed.

“No you’re not; you’re going to your room. “ I struggled to keep my voice even, hating the quaver that always seemed to manifest itself when I was angry. Bad form.

She renewed her sobbing, and I held up my hand, palm outward to truncate the protestations that I knew would follow. She knows what that means, and knows I mean it. She stomped out of my office, followed by Chuck. He now had the receiver to the tracking device on the charm on her bracelet. He’d better do better than his predecessors, or he’s toast too. I have too much to worry about; now I have to micromanage my family’s protection??

“Get Sonny and Bill in here. Now.” I said into the intercom. What a day. My daughter had skipped her bodyguards, hooked up with a “friend” from the internet, and gone to WALL STREET of all places. I needed a smoke. Thank God Irv found her and brought her home. I briefly pondered the joy of having terrible things done to him……………… and shook my head. Pretty to think about, but there was damage control that had to be done.

Sonny and Bill were announced and walked stiffly into the room. “So? How’d it happen?” I said evenly. I’ll have to meditate later; this whole thing really isn’t doing my blood pressure any good. Bill outlined how she’d slipped Irv in the tennis court, and used the passage to get outside. Sonny had traced the IP info on her “friend” and handed me a thin, bound report.
“Summarize it for me, Sonny”, I said, tossing the report on my desk.

He did, with his usual wooden and clipped tone. I could tell he was scared and that gave me a small bit of pleasure. He should be scared. Everybody in the Tree should be scared right now.

“Did the kid……..,” I opened the report and scanned…… “Tony……… did he know who she is?” Sonny indicated that their best info indicated that he didn’t, that they’d been internet friends for more than a year, and Tony’s brother had driven them to the protest. I made a note to talk to John and Theresa later; they both should’ve caught this earlier and informed us.

“Let’s talk about containment,” I said, standing up and pacing near the windows. “How many cameras, and which of those can we control? How many people might’ve caught her on their personal cameras? What about the tollbooths and THOSE cameras? And……… what about Tony and his brother and his family? Go.”

Bill told me that Tony and family were “under control.” I didn’t ask him what that entailed; Bill has been with us from the beginning. I trust him as much as anyone. Personal cameras were a risk. The CCTV were apparently being reviewed – those that were on a control loop – and would be edited as needed. Bill hadn’t thought of the tollbooths, and made a quick call. They were on it. Oh, joy.

“Send her in.” I said. The door opened and my daughter walked in, chin held high. Okay, so she’s chosen to go with “haughty” and “indignant”. I’d hoped for a more apologetic stance.
“Daddy, I know you’re angry and disappointed,” she began, pausing for me to answer. I said nothing. “You should be there, Daddy. You and Mom always told us to stand strong for what we believe in. I know it was a risk, but I had to go, don’t you see?” Her eyes were beseeching, and jerked a string in my heart.

When did they get so old? Where was I? Time passes so fast and before you know it, they’re grown.

“You risked everything that I’m working for. You risked your life.......... I....... you could’ve been killed……………… or worse. You mightn’t think there is anything worse, but there is. You cost two good men and possibly others their jobs. They will never work anywhere near here again, and least of all, you cost us money, because I had to pay them off to fire them, along with Tony’s family. You will never communicate with Tony again, and God help us all if they don’t keep their lips zipped.” I hoped she would understand, hoped she would capitulate, hoped maybe even she would apologize and ask for forgiveness.

“These people, the protesters……… they matter, Daddy. Sure, some might have unreasonable ideas, maybe they have a few weirdoes, but is this so different from the protests that you marched in when you were young?” When I was young. When did that stop being the case? Today I felt old, that’s for sure.

“What would you have me do? Speak there? Alienate everyone who supports me? Destroy everything we’ve worked for? There are things larger than what you see; things that take finesse, things that take meetings and discussions and compromise, commitment, RESOLVE!” I said, slamming my fist on the desk.

She flinched and I immediately felt bad. “Listen sweetheart,” I said calmly and smiling as I walked around the desk to sit next to her, “what would people think if I were there? Would they understand that I just want to make things better? Would the people who hold the purse-strings of the country understand that I was still their friend?” GOD, I wanted her to understand.

“I don’t know Daddy. Maybe those people aren’t really your friends. You have to be our compass.”

I was speechless. How did I get to this place?

She looked at me for a beat or two of her tender heart, rose and walked out of the room. I saw Chuck fall in behind her as the door closed. My eyes teared for her lost childhood. So young to be so old.

I’m gonna catch hell for this for certain. “Tell Bill to get the car,” I said into the intercom, “and…… get Irv on the phone. ……….. I don’t care WHERE he is, get him, and call my wife.” Always liked Irv. Hope he doesn’t hold any grudges.

We’ll see.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I like it! Sonny's role should expand................

Dont know why,but all I could think of was Patty Hearst..............................

Edit to add...................

I also wonder how many Wallstreet fathers are doing the same thing. I read this again,because it is really good !!!!!!!!

Wish I could Flag it again..................

edit on 15-10-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I liked how you used a conversation. I liked it because you explained and I could really feel the emotions in it.
There was lots of emotions in it.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I like the stories with a message best

Excellent writing and content. I enjoyed it immensely.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Thanks much! I'd thought that it could be a story for an important person, or perhaps a President........

reply to post by Thurisaz

Thank you! I felt a lot of mixed emotion when writing it; I'm glad some of that came through. I have no kids of my own, but putting myself into the space of a man of Iron with an idealistic offspring, well, it just flowed.

reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Thanks much Lady
I seem to be stuck in the mode of either having a moral to the story, or having a hook at the end, or both. I was going to strongly hint at a high political office, but decided to just lay it down as it was.

Apprecite you all. Frank feedback is one of the best things a writer can encounter.

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

That story worked on so many levels!!

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Thanks much Whaaa
What I really enjoyed about writing this is that I had an idea that spontaneously popped into my head while I was weeding the garden. I came inside, sat down at the computer and got to enjoy that very rare (for me) and wonderful condition where I feel as though I'm just an observer, writing down the story that is unfolding in front of me.

My Bride walked in the room to ask me something as I was typing, and apparently due to my maniacal wild-eyed look, I barely heard her say , "ooops! nevermind......"

back away from the hairless ape pounding away at the keyboard........... move slowly......... make no sudden noises or movements..........

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

This was good. I saw the daughter as a president's daughter or even a big corporate head's daughter. It was well written and I liked how you used the scenarion you did to express the conflict between father and daughter. Good job!

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Excellent, well written story. I was wondering if the person was going to reveal themselves at the end.

S+F.

top topics

join