It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD Cop Punches Protester at Occupy Wall Street, 10/14/11

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Ya it looked like a woman to me also. I notice one guy got knocked down by a motorcycle cop. There were at least two other women the cops were after. Women are less threat and attacking women are more likely to incidte a crowd. Another thing I noticed is a constant theme in various vids I have seen. It seems that usually the cops in the white shirts are usually the ones that are the most out of line. I am not sure if its true but I have read that a lot of the fake cops for hire wear white shirts.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
That was one hell of a punch.

I couldn't see what the protester did to deserve such treatment. IMO, the cop had many other options than clocking somebody. Somebody call Trump so he can talk to this officer and tell him

"You're Fired!!!!!!!"

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

The "white bloc" cops? I have noticed that too!

It seems as though they are always the instigators.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
There in the middle of the road
blocking traffic!!

Why should anyone be able to block traffic to someone
who just got off of work and is trying to get home
to there family??

I feel no sympathy, it is actually quite funny!!

The protester in the green shirt was pushing the cop
and got laid out, exactly what they were asking for.
This has turned into a circus fest..

edit on 14-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

Yup, I got a nice chuckle out of it, who was the tool doing the screaming. LOL. Funny thing about these videos, they never show you what the girl did to provoke the officer, about two seconds before you get a brief glimps, but I'm sure she did something. And at the beginning they repeatedly gave a lawful order to get back on the sidewalk.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Illegal Police violence?
yep thats why hundreds of thousands are takeing to the street
i think people down ther are true heros standing up the scum that is police brutalty.
the police think thay can get away with it but the more thay assulat peaceful people the more people come out to stand with ther brethren

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erowynn
I was surprised they actually reported this incident in the local paper.

O ccupy Wall Street protester 'sucker-punched' by NYPD cop speaks out.

The Occupy Wall Street demonstrator who was videotaped being punched by a police officer during a protest march Friday has lawyered up. Felix Rivera-Pitre, who escaped after he was slugged in the face, has not yet been charged with a crime.

Did you listen to the video they broke the barricades
and started stampeding in the road, look at the picture here!!

Look the guy is clearly pushing the officer
the protester is grabbing the cops sleeve resisting
to get off the road..

He pushed he grabbed the officers sleeve, he got punched!!
The protesters were upping the ante.
You can not block the roads!!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
reply to post by seenavv

I just saw on tv a cop just ran over someone's leg and the fellow was lying in the street yelling in pain. I haven't checked to see if it's on YT. It's the weekend now, mybe the cops are getting too tense. Why the ugly violence?

Yeah, it was a scam. Watch the video and you'll see that the scooter was already stopped and guy was already laying down before the scooter got close to him, the he put his foot in front of the back tire screaming. I give him a
for over acting.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Why cant you block roads?

Just curious how you think a peaceful protest should go about getting their message across to those in power in a peaceful way?

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

If you watch the video, you will notice that he was walking away - that picture is frozen at the point that he was grabbed from behind and turned around, by the cop - you'd push to, if you weren't expecting to be grabbed from the back...

edit on 14-10-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Chance321

they never show you what the girl did to provoke the officer

True. But if the girl did provoke, the cop should arrest,not punch, the girl. And if he can't handle the girl he could have easily got some of the other cops to help or broke out the tazer or maze.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

It also looks as though another cop may be trying to stop the one who punched the protester. I guess I don't see what you are seeing.
edit on 14-10-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by morder1

Why cant you block roads?

Just curious how you think a peaceful protest should go about getting their message across to those in power in a peaceful way?

Because there are people out there that actually work for a living.
Well, the Tea Party managed to get their message across pretty well without disrupting too many people.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Looks like I was wrong it wasn't a woman. However punching someone in that manner isn't exactly SOP in the performance of duty. Who ever the whit shirt cops are they definitely the center of attention when it comes to being shown as violent.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
"White Shirts" are apparently the higher ranking police - lieutenants, captains or inspectors...

Who, according the the NY Times, have taken on the role of the "enforcer"

Link

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by Chance321

they never show you what the girl did to provoke the officer

True. But if the girl did provoke, the cop should arrest,not punch, the girl. And if he can't handle the girl he could have easily got some of the other cops to help or broke out the tazer or maze.

I suppose, if you've been yelled at sworn at, judging by this video for hours on end then to have this guy? girl? whatever spit at you or throw something at you (we'll never know, cause the video doesn't show what caused it) he could've finally blew a fuse and smacked him/her/it instead of zapping or spraying her/it. Was it right? probably not. Do I agree with what he did?
sure why not, maybe next time when the Police tells him to stay on the sidewalk maybe he'll listen.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

It also looks as though another cop may be trying to stop the one who punched the protester. I guess I don't see what you are seeing.
edit on 14-10-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

You don't see the guy in the green shirt
grabbing and holding onto the cops sleeve???

Your seeing what you want NOT what is there.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Im on the fence about this whole police -vs- OWS thing. First off, I agree with everyone 100% that any officer who willfully and unprovoked assaults another person should a) be fired and b) charged with a crime.

However, with that being said, any officer who is assaulted, etc. has every right (just like any other person) to use enough FORCE to make the attacker stop, and if that means pushing, punching, baton or anything else. That is called the use of force continuum www.nij.gov...

I also dont think anyone should be bashing EVERY SINGLE police officer. Yes, I agree that the bad ones should and must be dealt with, but I am sure that there are hundreds of them out there just doing their job, and doing it professionally. They have orders just like everyone else that has a job. If the boss says "keep people out of the streets" then thats what they have to do, if not they face disciplinary action--same goes for someone who works at mcdonalds, a grocery store, construction, or anywhere else, if you dont do your job, your out!

The cops arent trying to stop the protest..just keep them out of the street...protest all you want but stay the hell out of the street!!

There in the middle of the road blocking traffic!! Why should anyone be able to block traffic to someone who just got off of work and is trying to get home to there family?? I feel no sympathy, it is actually quite funny!! The protester in the green shirt was pushing the cop and got laid out, exactly what they were asking for. This has turned into a circus fest..

edit on 14-10-2011 by LrBc1275 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Ok, I see that now. I would agree, but wouldn't it be a normal human response to attempt to defend yourself? This is a bad situation and I am not saying this man is completely innocent, but with all the other cops around and the expensive training they go through why didn't the cop use that training and additional backup to subdue the man and take him to jail?

Instead, he acted like a drunken frat boy, abused his power and took advantage of the situation and his power to assault a man out of pure emotion!

This is either assault or bad training...either way it's not acceptable!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

Ok, I see that now. I would agree, but wouldn't it be a normal human response to attempt to defend yourself? This is a bad situation and I am not saying this man is completely innocent, but with all the other cops around and the expensive training they go through why didn't the cop use that training and additional backup to subdue the man and take him to jail?

Instead, he acted like a drunken frat boy, abused his power and took advantage of the situation and his power to assault a man out of pure emotion!

This is either assault or bad training...either way it's not acceptable!

All I am saying, if you EVER grab a police officer I do not care
who you are or in a protest or not, you can look forward to that cop defending himself.
The protester was in the wrong, should the cop have punched him?
Maybe, maybe not

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
The "White Shirts" as they are being called are not just "supervising officers".

They are part of the Paid Detail Unit, which is the NYPD's Rent-A-Cop division.

www.counterpunch.org...

"The corporations pay an average of $37 an hour (no medical, no pension benefit, no overtime pay) for a member of the NYPD, with gun, handcuffs and the ability to arrest. The officer is indemnified by the taxpayer, not the corporation."

"City’s 2011 budget called for $1,184,000 in Paid Detail fees, meaning private corporations were paying wages of $11.8 million to police participating in the Paid Detail Unit. The program has more than doubled in revenue to the city since 2002."

This is doubly bad, because their actions reflect poorly on the regular "blues" of the NYPD, many of whom are on record saying they support the cause.

I believe they are just trying to use escalation tactics, and trying to make the protestors "swing first", or at least make it look that way.
edit on 14-10-2011 by BadMagician because: eta

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join