It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will a new Great Depression really mean?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
How will it affect us those that don't hold any trade stocks or real tangible assets? I mean except our homes, if you still have one. I mean I have heard all my grandparents' stories about eating wallpaper and such as that...but today with technology and more ways to figure out how to grow your own food/survive etc, if the internet stays on that is, for those that haven't prepared they still may have a chance, and for those that have prepared, like me, will it even be felt? I am honestly asking because I didn't live through the last depression, and to me I simply lived a depressed financial life anyway, so will this even really affect me? I have also led a life of not entering into debt but I do go to school at this time and on a loan, so how will this affect that even, if at all?

This is what I truly feel is going to happen, if anything at all, is that we are facing another depression. Hope I am wrong, but I really want to be informed as I really don't know all about the last one (only what I learned in school, which isn't very valid anyway).

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

A lot of America is already living in borderline depression. Just go to a trailer park in the ghetto and ask them what poverty means.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
For me it'll probably result in me crafing one of these beauties!

Cheap bow crafting

Probably gonna make one of the PVC ones regardless.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The ant and the grasshopper. That's what is going to happen. The sad reality is that you'll prepare, sacrifice now, to be prepared for later, and the sponges will amass on your home and steal your food. Or, like in the ant and the grasshopper, the government will make you share your supplies with the sponges.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

A lot of America is already living in borderline depression. Just go to a trailer park in the ghetto and ask them what poverty means.

Ditto this statement. If a new depression happens, only the poor and the greedy will be alright

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

That is what I am saying I live in a trailer park lol, that is why I say to me I don't think I will feel a thing cause I am already living it. lol

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by BoneMosaic
For me it'll probably result in me crafing one of these beauties!

Cheap bow crafting

Probably gonna make one of the PVC ones regardless.

I've got some Bows already and I have swords too.
But I may make some arrows!!! We have many but just in case, I would probably make more to be on the safe side.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
The ant and the grasshopper. That's what is going to happen. The sad reality is that you'll prepare, sacrifice now, to be prepared for later, and the sponges will amass on your home and steal your food. Or, like in the ant and the grasshopper, the government will make you share your supplies with the sponges.

I read somewhere about how chili kitchens kept many alive during the last depression...I am going to stock up on chili and grow amaranth and veggies, and all my neighbors are more than welcome to my food, all they have to do is ask, I don't mind helping my fellow humans out, as long as they don't try and just "Grab" it I beleive we're all in this together, and I am not greedy.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I think I'm gonna have to buy some arrows before it all comes crashing down! Making them yourself seems like a hassle, especially considering you could miss and never find your meticulously crafted arrows!

edit on 14-10-2011 by BoneMosaic because: spelling

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

First and foremost, I will look after my family. If I have extra, I have no problem sharing either. However, I will not be forced to share what I can't share. If people don't prepare, it's on them. We're all adults, and nobody should be forced to babysit an adult because they make bad decisions.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I dont know Idyserenity, but all i can tell you is this is just starting and the worst is yet to come. everyone knows it but no one is doing anything about it. They dont want to think about it because its "Depressing." well there going to be very Depressing when they cant eat.
edit on 14-10-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Since a lot of our population is already living in poverty, a depression would be worse. That's why everyone is so paranoid. If we have one right now, war would probably break out as well.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

In a economic failure, what I see happening is people will be forced to revert back to the days of our grandparents, WWI and II era, or even further back. Where that, people will have to start doing things for themselves, either due to loss of technology(companies going out of business, or lack of funds to even afford it) or receiving government handouts. While some places may become ghost towns I do not see the entire nation collapsing to ruin.

People will just have to learn to be self-reliant if they wish to survive. Technically, after it happens we will all see that the paper money we have all been dependent on was never necessary. People will adapt and overcome, you will start seeing people trading services for their needs after they realize that one could repair a dishwasher in trade for a bag of groceries. It will be rough times for sure, but getting rid of all the BS that put us there to begin with will set us straight again on the correct path.

Then the question becomes, are we as citizens going to continue to be complacent and allow this new path to become corrupted again or are we going to be vigilant and nip things in the bud before it begins. We do not have to allow history to repeat.
edit on 14-10-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

See that's what I beleive if if happens there will be a more coming together and bartering, and working together for the purpose of the community. I see this as a unifying event. Where we live really I don't think gangs would bother us as like I said we live in a trailer park, I do beleive the gated communities and such will be mostly where conflicts and roving gangs will desend on first.

I could be wrong but I beleive there's power in numbers and many people will band together to protect their community...they'd stand a better chance.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

First and foremost, I will look after my family. If I have extra, I have no problem sharing either. However, I will not be forced to share what I can't share. If people don't prepare, it's on them. We're all adults, and nobody should be forced to babysit an adult because they make bad decisions.

I see what you're saying, and you're right.
I certainly would not be able to supply everything endlessly, No one person could.
However some here are totally blind and don't realise the truth of the situation. I don't fault them, they are buying into this "everything is just dandy" garbage the MSM feeds them and the government is telling them "there is no need to panic, the economy is recovering."
I kind of feel sorry for them. It isn't their fault and it isn't stupidity, it's just that they are not awakened.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

You must have a common medium of exchange in order to tax everything that moves, thats why bartering won't ever be accepted by the US, unfortunately.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I will try to answer this question sincerely...
Please take no offense to my opinions.
They are NOT meant to hurt.
Just a personal opinion, is all.

What will the next Great Depression mean to me?

Well let's look at the people (USA) as a whole, today. (generalization, excludes ATS members
)
Self-indulged, over-weight, apathetic, selfish, and lazy.
Self-consumed, abundantly vain, used to convenience living and rude.
Some are productive, but most are heavily dependant on others.
Programmed to think that what they see on TV will make them successful.
Mostly they are just un-aware.

Now let's say that everything they have come to love vanished?
All their toys, their nice homes, their sporting events, their money, their lavish lifestyles....gone.
All their iPads, iPhones, laptops, and xbox's....useless.
All their time spent in schools earning a degree to make more money...wasted.

You can't eat money.

Now they have to actually sweat to make their food.
They have to use their brain and think about where their food comes from everyday.
No more convenient food chain stores.
No more grocery stores.
No more accessory living.
No tanning beds.
No money.
No more time for vanity.

The positive to that notion is that there will be less overweight people!
Seriously.

In the mass panic that would develop, I believe gangs will rise up.
People will fight against each other. Brother versus brother.
Just for water.
There will be no more easy living....
I truly see alot of suffering and death.

Things will be more extreme than before.

Want to know why?

Because for the past few decades, parents have been shipping kids away to schools in order to become "successful"...rather than teaching them the skills that saved their grandparents during the last Depression.
Instead of learning how to live off the land...
Instead of passing down those valuable skills!
Kids have been taught how college will save their lives.
Money will solve any problem.

You can't eat money.

Pathetic.

And I firmly believe it will be far worse than we can ever imagine.

But I also firmly believe that your friendly gov't has been drumming up a plan for all this chaos and dis-order. A plan that has been in the making for a long time. An answer.

And you will be given a choice.
Either to accept their plan, or resist and probably die.
But their plan will be sold as the best possible solution ever.
The answer to all of man's woes.

I'm just saying.

edit on 14-10-2011 by havok because: Added an ending.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by hungry4truth

It does not matter if it is accepted or not. When it comes to survival and putting food on the table, accepted or not, people will do it. It is survival, and if they let pride and political correctness get in the way, they will not survive. In desperation, people will begin to loosen up on the things that they used to hold sacred. People will not care about money after 4 days of not eating, at that point all they will want is food. And if bartering is the persons only option, then they will barter.

edit on 14-10-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The part of this that I am unsure about is the housing bubble. Once the economy crashes, what will happen to the residents that are in default or become in default after the fact. When a lot of people are already out on the streets, would the court systems still be willing to rule on those cases and possibly put even more people on the streets. Or, will the courts tell the mortgage companies that they are on their own.

Then if that happens, will the mortgage companies start hiring "hitmen" to evict the residents, this is my concern. I can see people bringing their firearms to the door when the "hitmen" try to evict them. Now that could get bloody. I know if SHTF and everything has gone to hell in a hand basket and it is every person for themselves, people will not be so willing to walk away from the only shelter they have, and will use possession is 9/10ths of the law as their justification.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
The part of this that I am unsure about is the housing bubble. Once the economy crashes, what will happen to the residents that are in default or become in default after the fact. When a lot of people are already out on the streets, would the court systems still be willing to rule on those cases and possibly put even more people on the streets. Or, will the courts tell the mortgage companies that they are on their own.

Then if that happens, will the mortgage companies start hiring "hitmen" to evict the residents, this is my concern. I can see people bringing their firearms to the door when the "hitmen" try to evict them. Now that could get bloody. I know if SHTF and everything has gone to hell in a hand basket and it is every person for themselves, people will not be so willing to walk away from the only shelter they have, and will use possession is 9/10ths of the law as their justification.

Yes see I own my house but rent the land...this is what I am questioning the most...I wonder if either the owner of the park will descend on our homes (he already does some shady evictions as it is) With guns, I can tell you that he will meet the business end of a sword if he tries to F with me and my family home...or if he sends thugs, they'll meet the business end of my sword, or maybe the bank may try and take the land, who knows either way I will icnite possession is 9/10ths. You best well beleive that lol!

Then again if they aren't enforcing the old fogie towns I could go to my mom's place and keep her safe and live as a family there (her place is much nicer) and protect her and that home and maybe we could stay if they don't enforce the "55+" rules anymore. In that case they can have this POS trailer lol!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join