It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Sad Disappointing Facts About Popular Music

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
10 Sad Disappointing Facts About Popular Music

1. Creed has sold more records in the US than Jimi Hendrix

2. Led Zeppelin, REM, and Depeche Mode have never had a number one single, Rihanna has 10

3. Ke$ha's “Tik-Tok” sold more copies than ANY Beatles single ?

4. Flo Rida's “Low” has sold 8 million copies – the same as The Beatles' “Hey Jude”

5. The Black Eyed Peas' “I Gotta Feeling” is more popular than any Elvis or Simon & Garfunkel song

6. Celine Dion's “Falling Into You” sold more copies than any Queen, Nirvana, or Bruce Springsteen record

7. Katy Perry holds the same record as Michael Jackson for most number one singles from an album

8. Barbra Streisand has sold more records (140 million) than Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash, and Tom Petty combined ?

9. People actually bought Billy Ray Cyrus' album “Some Gave All…” 20 million people infact ?. More than any Bob Marley album

10. The cast of “Glee” has had more songs chart than the Beatles

So there you have it, 10 disappointing facts about popular music.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
mainstream music is about making a product, not making music
good music genreally appeals to smaller amounts of people because when it comes to music everyone is unique..but what we see with modern mainstream artists is a very special type of social influence to listen to it, your bombared with it in advertisments and in shops or basicly playing hear it on loop on the radio stations.
i think mainstream music appeals to so many because they listen to it for an social image not for personal gain, which is what music should be about
just be happy that you can tell the difference between good music and utter corporate vomit.

edit on 14-10-2011 by ShortMemory because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
An Immortal Technique lyric sums this up:

"so if your message ain't #, F%^$ the records you sold
cuz if you go platinum, it's got nothing to do with luck
it just means that a million people are stupid as F$^&"

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ShortMemory

"No-one really listens to music anymore
It's just another product sitting on your supermarket shelf.
Controlled by those who don't have a soul
And designed for those who can't think for themselves!"

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by BombDefined
reply to post by ShortMemory

"No-one really listens to music anymore
It's just another product sitting on your supermarket shelf.
Controlled by those who don't have a soul
And designed for those who can't think for themselves!"

there are still heaps of people who wouldnt touch the mainstream music with a 100 metre stick. i know heaps of people who listen to real music..
i would say more people like good music they just arent as likely to buy records like mainstream supporters..

i think the fact they dont have souls is pretty evident in some of the crap they put out..makes you wonder if some people actually have brains or just soil and dead roots in their head

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
How sad is that list..........wow

I am 46 years old and music is in my soul, without music I would be dead...

Music used to have soul, melody, musicianship, great lyrics, singers with feeling for the words regardless of being great singers, they actually played instruments, plus loads more reasons. Unlike today's so called artistes who have no soul, no musicianship, can't write great lyrics and can't hold onto a note without going up and down the scale like they can't make their mind up what note/key they wanna choose....

Like everything else today, music has become a throw away product a bit like a newspaper. What is today's new chart song, is like tomorrows chip shop wrapping paper............

And it's people like Simon Cowell who should be ashamed of themselves for infiltrating people's minds with crap,bubblegum, bum wipe, elevator, supermarket trashy music.....

You go on Youtube and look at music from thirty or so years ago, most of the comments left under the videos are from young people who complain about the music they have to listen to today. Most of them state that they wish that they were born in the 60's, 70's, 80's and even the 90's to have some good music.............

I don't think that today's music gives them any soul......

So glad I was born when I was......

edit on 14-10-2011 by davethebear because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

Just one more reason I've given up listening to music on the radio....unless I'm in a larger city or a city with a good college station. Mainstream music is almost unlistenable for the most part.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

Couldn't have said it better. The problem is that you can't even get away from it. I may be exaggerating here but it seems that 99% of the stations today play it over and over and over. How can one artist who isn't even very good and all his songs sound the same who rants about how many ways he would 'Die for Ya' be so heavily promoted? Just bring back the good old days when music had musicality and meaning. How many of you have associated a song with an event in your past, can you do that with today's crap? Oh yeah i remember when that happened that was the song that was playing! I don't think the current chart toppers will ever make the 'all time classic' list.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Ahem.....

Thanks for the OP and bringing this content to my attention, funny stuff....

However, You left out 2 of the Extremely, err... I mean Sad Disappointing facts. Heck #12 was the funniest IMO.

Maybe next time cite the source of the material eh? Plagiarism is ka-ka!

www.buzzfeed.com

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

You beat me to it. I'm 52 and have played music all my life. These statistics are far worse than I could ever have imagined... I mean really... The Beatles??? Jimi Hendrix??? I've heard a lot of young people talking about listening to this great old music, but I guess it's only a few drops in a huge bucket of unthinking, unfeeling products of this modern age. I always thought of myself as someone who kept up with the times as far as music was concerned. I never thought I'd be like my grandfather who called the stuff I listened to 'crap'. But the world has moved on right past me... and I didn't even realize it while it was happening.

To the poster above me - Arrrggghhh!!! number 12!!! What more do we need to see?
edit on 10/14/2011 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

[color=FFAC63]Disappointing Facts

I'm not seeing it. In what way, is anything on that list, a '[color=FFAC63]disappointment'?
In order for one to be disappointed, they must have expected different results.
So what were you actually expecting?
Nothing on that list, is surprising.

Pop Music sucks. Songs that become radio hits are songs that are simple and catchy. Actual good music, often takes time before you can fully understand it, and appreciate it.

I can't remember what magazine I read this in, and cannot quote it exactly word for word, but this is something that I read when I was a teenager, and it has always stuck with me. As far as I'm concerned, it is 100% accurate.

Mike Muir, of Suicidal Tendencies, said, "[color=42FFC0]If you like a song the first time you hear it, then you will get burnt out on it, and grow tired of hearing it. If it takes you several times of listening to a song, before you really begin to understand it and enjoy it, and then truly love the song, you will enjoy it forever."

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick

Elvis or Simon & Garfunkel song

Personally, I have never actually been a big fan of 'Simon & Garfunkel'. Don't get me wrong, they are talented songwriters/musicians, and there a few songs that I like, but for the most part, it's just not my style.

Regardless of the fact that I am not a huge fan of theirs, placing them alongside 'Elvis' is despicable, and disrespectful. Elvis was a 'front man.' He was the first to use attractiveness to sell music, as opposed to letting the music sell itself. Elvis was not a songwriter. Other people wrote his songs for him.

Elvis, the King of Rock & Roll?? Hell no. Not even close.

Elvis, the 'King of Pop'(ular music)?? Yeah, that's a much better fitting title. The king, because damn near every female wanted to bl...... him.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Nothing disappointing really but expected with the increase of availability of media via the internet and let's face it most of these "good musicians" were crap as well compared to musical standards.

It's subjective but in the end we need to look at the message and creativity.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

In my defense, i took this from a friends wall on facebook, though it was quite interesting, so posted it here, now after reading the link you posted, its clear its a edited version, so i'm guilty of not researching this more before posting.

As far as plagiarism on my part, it was genuinely unintentional.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Wow...Just wow...Not surprised though I guess...

I fed up with this world!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatnext21

Couldn't have said it better. The problem is that you can't even get away from it. I may be exaggerating here but it seems that 99% of the stations today play it over and over and over. How can one artist who isn't even very good and all his songs sound the same who rants about how many ways he would 'Die for Ya' be so heavily promoted? Just bring back the good old days when music had musicality and meaning. How many of you have associated a song with an event in your past, can you do that with today's crap? Oh yeah i remember when that happened that was the song that was playing! I don't think the current chart toppers will ever make the 'all time classic' list.

Yeah whatnext21,

I think between us we summed it all up pretty well..........

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by wtbengineer

You beat me to it. I'm 52 and have played music all my life. These statistics are far worse than I could ever have imagined... I mean really... The Beatles??? Jimi Hendrix??? I've heard a lot of young people talking about listening to this great old music, but I guess it's only a few drops in a huge bucket of unthinking, unfeeling products of this modern age. I always thought of myself as someone who kept up with the times as far as music was concerned. I never thought I'd be like my grandfather who called the stuff I listened to 'crap'. But the world has moved on right past me... and I didn't even realize it while it was happening.

To the poster above me - Arrrggghhh!!! number 12!!! What more do we need to see?
edit on 10/14/2011 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

Yeah,wtbengineer, I dreaded the day when I would actually sound like my dad saying, "Oi, what you listening to this load of crap for?" Well here I am, or should I say, here we are saying exactly that. But I think we are more justified by saying that than when my dad was saying it in the 70's and 80's, obviously he wasn't up with the times. Those two decades I just mentioned were actually brilliant, so obviously my dad wasn't up with the times was he? Hahaha.............

edit on 14-10-2011 by davethebear because: spelling

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I'm not sure if anyone has ask but what about "Stairway to Heaven"? not number one?of course my all time fav the "Immigrant Song"
I remember this being played constantly on the radio stations

edit on 14-10-2011 by TWILITE22 because: (no reason given)

I grew up listening to all of the greats of rock and roll,they never be another era like the 60's and 70's this music got me through some good times and bad.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Yeah, I feel ya. I don't know if it's that we have become our dads or the current pop culture is just that bad. I tend to think its the latter, but who knows?? Future generations could judge differently...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

#12 is hilarious. Although knowing he is also from Canada is just embarrassing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join