It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irans attempt to send monkey into space.......

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by ngchunter

Actually its not....

Launching a satellite requires getting to the correct orbit. If it doesnt make it, it will re-enter somewhere and burn up. Launching an ICBM includes the sub orbital flight with the addition of re-entry in a precise manner in order to hit the city.

Both require precision guidance capability, the latter does not strictly require enough delta-V to reach orbit.

Launching a satellite is within Irans ability where hitting DC is not. The missiles dont have the range.

If they can launch a satellite then they have enough thrust to put the same payload into DC. I'm not saying they would use their missile for that purpose, but I am saying that the missile that put their satellites into orbit has what it takes to reach DC.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Long range inter-continental ballistic missile technology is essentially the same field of science that space travel rocketry is.

If you can achieve space flight, you can design a missile with enough range to reach anywhere on Earth.

Sorry to point that out.

Umm... To get into space you only have to go about 220 miles...

The distance from Iran to the US is. nearly 8000 miles ( Tehran to Miami)....

Nice attempt at fear mongering though.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I'm seeing a need here for a thread to inform people about basic orbital mechanics. Iran has already demonstrated the ability to achieve orbit. Yes, the orbital altitude was only about 200 km high, but it doesn't matter; by virtue of the fact that they put their satellite into orbit, they could have just easily put their payload into america by making it a sub-orbital trajectory instead. You can't compare orbital height with missile range. They have the ability to put satellites in orbit, all they have to do is apply that to putting weapons anywhere in the world they want them to go.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

I'm seeing a need here for a thread to inform people about basic orbital mechanics. Iran has already demonstrated the ability to achieve orbit. Yes, the orbital altitude was only about 200 km high, but it doesn't matter; by virtue of the fact that they put their satellite into orbit, they could have just easily put their payload into america by making it a sub-orbital trajectory instead. You can't compare orbital height with missile range. They have the ability to put satellites in orbit, all they have to do is apply that to putting weapons anywhere in the world they want them to go.

Would not do any good since the American missile interception system would
take it out suborbital.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

You have to consider the weight of the payload, which we have little information about, but I know an atomic bomb is not a light apparatus, especially with what we would assume Iran technology is up to, (for instance, they are the 4th largest provider of crud oil, yet they have to import 80% of their gasoline).

What does that tell you about their infrastructural technology?

Space X launched a block of cheese into orbit and returned it safely to earth, ALL HAIL APOLLO!

(The sats were very small), hardly useful outside of propaganda, (no matter what they say).

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Here is where I would like to evoke a little reality. You've all hear of Charles Lindbergh, right? He flew a plane called the Spirit of St. Louis across the Atlantic ocean for the first time in a heavier than air aircraft non stop. That airplane he flew was specially designed to carry the maximum amount of fuel per horsepower so much so he had no forward view, (for wing stability), and it barely took off under the weight of the fuel it was carrying. Right, not a windshield, navigation was looking out a side window or math calculations, and mostly seat-of-pants.

Now what I am getting at is, the total amount of fuel he used and carried across the Atlantic from (Roosevelt Field, Long Island) New York to France, is what a rocket burns TIMES TEN, EVREY SECOND THAT ROCKET IS like, ON! Per second, ten times the amount to cross the Atlantic, per second of firing. That's a lot!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

You missed my point entirely. Let me simplify it for you... Iran does not have the ability to hit us with a missile.

Okay? Okay.

When they develop the technology to hit the US with missiles, then you can start worrying about the US getting hit by Iranian missiles.

But the bottom line is they can't do it. That was my point.

Until then, cool it with the fear mongering. Not that you are fear mongering. I just mean that in general.

I am not worried about Iran doing anything to us.... Nor should I be.

Should Iran ever gain the technology to do so, one day.... I still wont be worried. Hey, they may have aggressive mouths in that government but they are not stupid.
edit on 13-10-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Source - ICBM

The following flight phases can be distinguished:

* - Boost phase: 3 to 5 minutes (shorter for a solid rocket than for a liquid-propellant rocket); altitude at the end of this phase is typically 150 to 400 km depending on the trajectory chosen, typical burnout speed is 7 km/s.

* - Midcourse phase: approx. 25 minutes—sub-orbital spaceflight in an elliptic flightpath; the flightpath is part of an ellipse with a vertical major axis; the apogee (halfway through the midcourse phase) is at an altitude of approximately 1,200 km; the semi-major axis is between 3,186 km and 6,372 km; the projection of the flightpath on the Earth's surface is close to a great circle, slightly displaced due to earth rotation during the time of flight; the missile may release several independent warheads, and penetration aids such as metallic-coated balloons, aluminum chaff, and full-scale warhead decoys.

* - Reentry phase (starting at an altitude of 100 km): 2 minutes—impact is at a speed of up to 4 km/s (for early ICBMs less than 1 km/s); see also maneuverable reentry vehicle

Iran does not have the technical expertise to meet the midcourse phase. The missiles / rockets they are using to put items into space cannot reach DC.

For Iran, launching an item into space is easier than launching a missile / rocket at Washington DC.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic

You have to consider the weight of the payload, which we have little information about, but I know an atomic bomb is not a light apparatus, especially with what we would assume Iran technology is up to, (for instance, they are the 4th largest provider of crud oil, yet they have to import 80% of their gasoline).

I'm not saying they have the payload capacity for an atomic bomb, in fact it's pretty clear they don't just yet, but they do have the capability to put small payloads over US soil. Chemical and biological weapons aren't nearly as dense as an atomic weapon, and Iran has the infrastructure to produce either if they wanted to head that direction.

(The sats were very small), hardly useful outside of propaganda, (no matter what they say).

Indeed they were, but the point is that they demonstrated a rocket that could reach us if it were launched on the proper sub-orbital trajectory. Furthermore, upgrades for that rocket are in the works with the goal of an all-solid booster with a capacity of 330 kg to LEO. I'm not saying their next step is to tip one with a weaponized bug or chemical, but I am saying that their boosters putting satellites in orbit are a preview of what is to come. We can nullify the threat if we start making a concerted effort to do so now.
edit on 13-10-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
You missed my point entirely. Let me simplify it for you... Iran does not have the ability to hit us with a missile.

Let me simplify it for you, they can and have launched satellites into orbit. The only difference between that and hitting the US is the shape of the orbit they create. All that remains is for them to scale up their payload capacity.

I'm really wondering what is with the misinformation spewing forth on this thread. It feels... organized. And it's completely wrong.

Hey, they may have aggressive mouths in that government but they are not stupid.

I fundamentally disagree. I will take them at their word. It's why I support the deployment of a missile shield.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Iran does not have the technical expertise to meet the midcourse phase. The missiles / rockets they are using to put items into space cannot reach DC.

www.heavens-above.com...
Oh really? Then how did RASAD-1 pass right over Washington DC?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by yellowbeard
Great news, hopefully they'll make a two seater for the next attempt.....

The world would have been a much better place if Bush and Blair had decided to be astronauts instead of terrorists

Just to make it fair, there's always room for one more.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Nice attempt at fear mongering though.

You know what really pisses me off? When people call me that, its the N-word.

I am getting so sick of it.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Just think about it, we are discussing a 50 year old technology.

And then these people who think they are "protecting Iran" will come and say "Oh they can't possibly achieve that technology", what a bunch of backwards bull.

What do you think Iran is a bunch of primitive monkeys? Do you think they are little more than cavemen who cannot understand a multi-stage rocket or how to add more propellant? Those guidance systems are like magic to them - those ignorant Muslims.

See how offensive it is to say they can't achieve this technology?

If India can develop ICBM technology, than why can't Iran? Don't they have as much a right as anyone else to build Armageddon weapons?

Oh but I am fear mongering because I consider Iran a modernized nation.

And let's forget the 1000 times I said that I am anti-war here on ATS...

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
double post, deleted
edit on 14-10-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   

www.heavens-above.com...

Ugh... please read the post before commenting please. When I talked about the mid course phase, that is in reference to an ICBM, and not a satellite.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Because as a member of the NPT they are restricted from building them for warhead deployment. It falls into that dual use category. Its also apparenly a violation of some other international agreements they signed, however im still trying to find that source where I saw it.

Secondly India is not a member of the NPT treaty and is therefore not bound by it.

If Iran wants they can withdraw from the NPT at any point they want.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

Compared to us, the Iranians actually are a FREE country ......FREE from debt to the Banksters and why they can afford to have a space program and we can no longer sustain one... our tax dollars are paying the Banksters interest payments...

This is somewhat true however I rather not have a space program and live a life without physical torture than live a life with torture and countless restrictions and have a space program.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

www.heavens-above.com...

Ugh... please read the post before commenting please. When I talked about the mid course phase, that is in reference to an ICBM, and not a satellite.

You said they can't reach DC, full stop. In fact, you specifically said:

The missiles / rockets they are using to put items into space cannot reach DC.

I just showed that they could, I never said anything about following a conventional ICBM flight profile.
edit on 14-10-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Exactly what intrest does Iran have in space anyway?

Can you say ICBM? I knew you could....!!!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join