It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calif. Governor Veto Allows Warrantless Cellphone Searches

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
It isn't that this hasn't been happening, however, now the legal latitude has been leveraged against the 4th Amend, at least in the hands of our "Professional, and trusted" Law Officers to do whatever they want with your personal data should they deem you "Criminally Active".....
www.wired.com...

The Sunday veto means that when police arrest anybody in the Golden State, they may search that person’s mobile phone — which in the digital age likely means the contents of persons’ e-mail, call records, text messages, photos, banking activity, cloud-storage services, and even where the phone has traveled.

I am not completely comfortable with this, The Special Investigations in my town are known for "farming" local drug dealers and crime rings, not to bust just to squeeze them slowly for money over time there by
1) Enabling the constant need for the Unit
2) Funding for the Unit
3) padding their pensions.
Not that I condone criminal activity by any means, however, my point is that the Police will now be able to transfer whatever they want from one source to another under the guise of "criminal seizure" this can only lead to dirtier cops and easier routes to bilk honest citizens out of money just by dropping a "evidence" on em and claiming what they own as theirs.

Brown’s veto also shores up support with police unions and the Peace Officers Research Association of California, a police union that opposed the legislation and recently donated $38,900 to Brown’s campaign coffers. “Restricting the authority of a peace officer to search an arrestee unduly restricts their ability to apply the law, fight crime, discover evidence valuable to an investigation and protect the citizens of California,” the association said in a message. That support would be key if Brown decides to seek a second term. In the last year alone, at least seven police unions donated more than $12,900 each to Brown. Those unions, including the California Association of Highway Patrolmen and the Sacramento County Deputy Sheriff’s Association, had given Brown more than $160,000 in combined contributions.

So once again it was about "Donations" to ones election coffers, why aren't pigs, pink, elephants, gray, and bribes, bribes? Citizens rights do not matter anymore my friends, we are closer to Orwellian machinations than we think.

I find it funny that there is such leverage to undo ones innocence now and days, my genetic progenitor was a cop, he ascribed to the idea that "Guilty until proven innocent" was the only way to see it, let the lawyers sort out the legal ramifications, he was a "good" cop, knowing what he was able to do, and did, in that capacity, I would hate to run into a dirty cop. Especially one that has legal access to your records and his word is always better than yours, you cant record em, you cant tell em they are wrong, and now you cant keep your info safe from em.

How could you win if a cop decided he just plain doesn't like you?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
First, he tramples the 14th Amendment with the "Dream Act".
Then he tramples the 2nd Amendment with the "No open carry law".
Now, he's trampling the 4th Amendment.

California must be a bunch of sadomasochists, because they love being screwed by this guy. Didn't they recall him once, then voted the bum back in? Morons.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by navy_vet_stg3

I was writing this wondering how exactly he got back into office...I never voted for him, anyone else I know hates and knows his track record well.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LanternOfDiogenes

I take it you live out there. I'm sorry. It may be too late for California. I'd bet my farm that illegal aliens helped to vote that madman in.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I am so glad I bailed out of California. I can not believe people actually voted Jerry brown in as governor. Well it was him or Meg Whitman.

Man, it was such a joke. I voted in that election, went third party despite knowing that who I voted for wouldn't win. Didn't even have the option of the lesser of two evils, just different flavors of stupid.

Anyways, blah blah My rights and such. I'm really becoming apathetic lately the more I read about this stuff, its only matter of time before we become a police state.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
First, he tramples the 14th Amendment with the "Dream Act".
Then he tramples the 2nd Amendment with the "No open carry law".
Now, he's trampling the 4th Amendment.

California must be a bunch of sadomasochists, because they love being screwed by this guy. Didn't they recall him once, then voted the bum back in? Morons.

And it is said that California is the trend-setter....The ideas that start here spread around.....like a cancer.....ugh

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

How Jerry Brown got Elected Governor of Cally again is beyond me . The most Disfunctional Laughing Stock State in the Union right now . Why the Hell would ANYONE want to Live there ? ..........

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

If I had a backpack and was arrested, the police have full authority to search inside the backpack. This apparently now extends into a digital device. Here is the problem I see. The courts have all said that when a person is arrested, the officer may search the immediate area surrounding that person. So a cell phone would be fair game. However, I think that if police do anything more then a visual search of the phone, this would be unconstitutional. If they are downloading data from the phone, or hacking into the phone past the password this would need a warrant. Anything more then a visual check of the phone contents would need an additional warrant in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Soloution: go to your nearest thrift store and buy yourself an old cell phone.
When you get pulled over hand the friendly officer your 1980's decoy phone!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by xaphoo1971
Soloution: go to your nearest thrift store and buy yourself an old cell phone.
When you get pulled over hand the friendly officer your 1980's decoy phone!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA
that would be great, if they didnt find your real one... then it would be obstruction and lying to an officer performing his duty.....

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Guaranteed, if they try this in Colorado, the Governor and legislators won't last long. That's a fact. Too many gun happy rednecks here to let that happen (thank God!). If they think OWS is a "protest", try it with a million armed citizens. No, they won't pass this in Colorado.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Take away an Americans CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to Bear Arms , he then becomes PREY for those who still have them ........

Would You Except this ? ......>
i297.photobucket.com...

Or be Determined to Defend this ? .....>

i297.photobucket.com...

Thats OUR Choice Friend........

edit on 11-10-2011 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Exactly. And there are a lot of us who took an oath to defend that Constitution. We didn't take an oath to defend a politician.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I wonder if our Generals and Admirals STILL Remember that the Next Time the Commander in Chief gives them a Questionable Order........:@@
edit on 11-10-2011 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Here are some Stupid Things Your Gov. of California Has Said
Another Jerry Brown Flashback: We Need More Welfare and Fewer Jobs:

The conventional viewpoint says we need a jobs program and we need to cut welfare. Just the opposite! We need more welfare and fewer jobs. Jobs for every American is doomed to failure because of modern automation and production. We ought to recognize it and create an income-maintenance system so every single American has the dignity and the wherewithal for shelter, basic food, and medical care. I’m talking about welfare for all.

Source: www.verumserum.com...
Jerry Brown on immigration: “Let’s give all illegal alien kids free college because we are a wealthy state”

–Now, Brown has just been caught on tape (hat tip: Breitbart TV) again, telling a Hispanic crowd this weekend that illegal aliens deserve to get a free college education in California, because we are such a WEALTHY STATE. (That ”little” part about a $19 billion deficit and a $500 billion unfunded pension liability for 3 state unions…..oh THAT.)

Source: www.uncoverage.net...

There is Much, Much More,,, This Guy is a complete idiot.
The Peoples Republic Of California and Jerry Browns Little Red Book Needs To Be Read and Memorized By Each And Every Citizen,,,, Yes, There Are Copies Available In Spanish

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

I think when the SHTF, the majority of the military will NOT be fighting for the President, whoever that may be.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Jerry Brown is a well documented Idiot, which still begs why he got voted back in, in the first place,However with todays available political tactics, anything is possible. Whitman got scrammed, and the next contender is Gavin Newsome at least with him this legislation wold have passed unimpeded. That is yet to come however and being the Junior Gov of the state only means he is being groomed for the proper way to govern Ca, meaning he may just let this law stand when and if he gets elected. I live here because this is where I was born, and I do love it, as much as anyone else who lives and loves their state, if you had to could you see leaving where you are now? I for one
A)Don't have the money, who the hell does
B)Don't have the place, nowhere is doing well at the moment
C)Don't care to leave the people I love for some politicrat, who will defend those I live with and stand by daily when the SHTF?

Seems irresponsible to run, but impossible to change the fact our state is becoming a police state.
How to change it, is beyond voting boxes, hell beyond our ability to navigate and bring to fruition properly.
There isn't a person who does not get corrupted by power or suffocated under their own good intentions.
I believe the old chestnut "You can't please everyone all the time" is a Gov Motto.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Star for YOU!
I'm Really Sorry you can Not Leave That State,,,, There Really are some better States in America.
As far as your question to me, Could I leave My State, YES! I left my home Country for My Husband.
My Husband is Born in Arizona and We leave as Often as we can and would move out!
NOT to California, NEVER,,,,, Been There,,, It's Not The State I would Live In, I was Born and Raised A Communist, I Know Communism When I See It.

Sorry,,,,,,,,,

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
They must have special software to this.

Otherwise this would be useless if you put a lock on your phone.

There has to be a way to block your phone from this..

If anyone has been arrested with there cell phone
in any state, you can bet your bottom dollar they are
searching in it anyways, this just legalizes it.
I know someone who had there cell phone raped
by police after an arrest, they could not use any of it
for direct evidence in court, but they are looking
trust me.
edit on 11-10-2011 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
keep intel in your head and if any cop tries to infringe on your personal space randomly engage him or her in a minuet of solitude for the survivors of 911 and ask them how there lives have been impacted by fear and hate and ask them if they would rather join the other 99% in a world of happynes and love if they say no offer them a smile or hug if they refuse the hug tell them the smile was unconditional love thats non refundable and non revocable
~

top topics

<<   2 >>

join