It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-THREATS: Two French Journalists Kidnapped

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
A new law banning the rights of muslim students to wear headscarves in France has reportedly caused the kidnapping of 2 French journalists in Iraq. Kidnappers are demanding that the new law be overturned.

cnn.com
(CNN) -- The Arabic-language TV network Al-Jazeera broadcast videotape Saturday showing two French journalists who apparently have been taken hostage in Iraq by a group calling itself the Islamic Army in Iraq.

The journalists, Christian Chesnot with Radio France International and Georges Malbrunot with the newspaper Le Figaro, were reported missing the morning of August 21. It was not know where they were being held.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A new video having been aired on the Al Jazeera news network shows two french journalists being held captive by the group the Islamic Army. The Islamic Army is the same group that kidnapped and executed Enzo Baldoni, the italian journalist.

France is being given 48 hours to comply to the demands of the group and remove the ban of headscarves in schools. About 5 million out of 60 million citizens of France are muslims.

The two journalists were reported missing on August 21st.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
That is blackmail.
Very unfortunate for the french hostages, but we can�t give them what they want.
If we do they will kidnap more people and demand us to change other laws as well.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Kidnappers give French 48 hours

MILITANTS have reportedly set a 48-hour deadline after taking two French journalists hostage in Iraq and demanding the rescinding of a ban on the Islamic headscarf in French schools.

The Arabic satellite news channel Al-Jazeera broke news of the latest hostage drama today, saying it had received video footage of the captured men.

The kidnappers from the Islamic Army in Iraq, the same group which killed Italian journalist Enzo Baldoni after taking him hostage, had given Paris a 48-hour ultimatum to meet its demands, the Qatar-based station said, citing "our own sources in Iraq".

news.com.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
....and they want the letter M stricken from the alphabet. (some Woody Allen movie when he was funny)

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This is totally insane, but countries like Spain and the Phillippines have re-enforced this tactic by removing their troops from Iraq. It just proves the futility of negotiating with terrorists.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I wonder what France's reaction will be. If they do not comply and the French Journalists get killed, then what will be the situation in France? massive attacks on Muslims?

As much as I hate to see these two guys get killed, if France were to go back on the law, it would sent a truly dangerous message.

I disagree and agree about Spain and the Philipines. One one hand, its not like thier troops were really needed, it was simply a polite show for both countires, and since thier presence wasnt that necessary, i can understand the Philipines pulling out thier troops a month early to save a guy. it might have sent a bad message, but then again, maybe not.

But when western countries allow Muslim terrorists to influence thier internal politics and laws, that does set a very bad precedent.

Somehow, though, I doubt France is going to go back on the law, but I could be wrong. With all the problems people in Europe are having with various Muslim Populations in thier countries, especially France, i dont think they can afford to, for thier own sake.

LL1

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
A trend was started with the negotiations with terrorists, now it is
going to be impossible to end.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I don't think France can go back on the law banning headscarves in school. This connects to a much larger issue, the separation of Church and State, which is as important to the French (as one of the most celebrated long-term results of the Revolution) as to the Americans. Lay schools have become a tradition in France, and this is where the issue about headscarves comes from - not from a discrimination against Muslims.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Separation of the Chuch and State, yes, but does France has a freedom of religion? They aren't forcing anyone else to wear them, I mean in america you're allowed to wear a cross around your neck, should that be banned?

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
deeprivergal - I don't know the specifics about the law. However, here is an excerpt from a speech by Jacques Chirac (translated by me from French) on the topic:

"School is first and foremost the place where the values we share are acquired and transmitted. The best example by far of the republican idea taking root, the space where we teach the citizens of tomorrow to criticize, exercise dialogue and liberty. [...] School is a republican sanctuary which we must defend, to preserve equality of access to values and knowledge, equality between boys and girls [...] so that our young are not exposed to the bad winds that divide, separate and pit one against the other.

Our goal is not, of course, to make school a place of anonymity and uniformity, where religious allegiance would be proscribed. Our goal is to allow teachers and principals, today in the front lines and confronted to real difficulties, to carry out their mandates with the affirmation of a clear rule.

Until recently, because of reasonable and spontaneously respected customs, there was never any doubt for anyone that students, naturally free to live their faith, should not however come to school dressed in religious garb.

Our goal is not to invent new rules or push back the frontiers of laicity. It is to articulate with respect but clearly and firmly a rule which has been in our customs and our practices for a long time. I consulted [...] I examined the arguments of the Assembl�e nationale's mission, of the political parties, of religious authorities, of prominent representatives of the great lines of thought. In conscience, I believe that the wearing of clothing or signs manifesting ostensibly a religious affiliation must be proscribed in schools, colleges and public lyc�es (NOTE - those are French high schools).

Discreet signs like a cross, a Star of David or a Cross of Fatima will remain permitted, naturally. However, ostensible signs, that is to say those the wearing of which leads to immediately recognize one by his or her religious affiliation, should not be admitted. Those - the Islamic veil, no matter what name it may bear, the kippa or a cross of excessive size - have no place in public schools. Public school shall remain lay. [...]"

Here's the speech, in PDF: www.education.gouv.fr...

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
France scrambles to free kidnapped journalists

France says it has stepped up its efforts to free two French journalists being held hostage by Iraqi militants who are demanding an end to a ban on Islamic headscarves in French schools.

The two award-winning journalists went missing in Iraq 10 days ago, while they were on their way to the troubled city of Najaf.

Al Jazeera television has shown brief footage of the journalists, saying they are being held by a group calling itself the Islamic Army in Iraq.

The French Government says its embassy in Baghdad is extending itself even further to find the men.

www.abc.net.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The French are so damned unpredictable, man... First they embrace exiles, then they tell them they can't wear all that religious crap... I say nuke 'em.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I hope this helps the French decide who to back in the next war.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I hope this helps the French decide who to back in the next war.

Oh, Grady, I'm sure they have our back!

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
The French sell their Mirage aircraft to all comers. They scoff in the face of modern civilization with their "you want ta kick some butt, Buy from us?" Nuke them bastards, I say.

[edit on 29-8-2004 by Jack Martin]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Of course, when I say, "nuke France,' I'm only being silly. On the other hand, France is, and has always been, a siss-pussed lot of duplicity; they will half-tailed fight both sides of a fight.

A few years ago, I was [email protected]., until Yahoo told me I was in violation of its sensativity rule and cut me off, even before i had a chance to nuke France. Damn it!

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
French are idiots for allowing these savages into their country. All they do is rape their women, commit crime, and want to blow something up.

Those journalistics shouldn't be in the land of the savages. You don't allow sheep to walk through an infested wolves valley.

[edit on 29-8-2004 by Thinker]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   
These kidnappings are getting ridiculous, perhaps the 'terrorists' or whatever you want to call them haven't realised that the law in France bans ALL religious accessories not just Islamic ones.

What next? Kidnap two British journalists and demand that Kent be made a Muslim county.

If France backpedals and repeals the law then this seriously undermines the power of the state and is dangerous. Because if they succeed in getting France to step down, it'll only get worse as the more you give into them the bigger demands they'll make as they see it as an effective tool of getting what they want.

[edit on 29/8/04 by Flyboy211]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
France should just deport all muslims instead of head scarfe. Fix the problem once and for all. In last yeah my hate for muslims has been growing to much. Stuff like this makes me so made. neoplean will be roling in his grave.

[edit on 29-8-2004 by Thinker]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jack Martin
The French are so damned unpredictable, man... First they embrace exiles, then they tell them they can't wear all that religious crap... I say nuke 'em.

That's a horrible attitude to have, and you should be ashamed of yourself. No population whatsoever deserves to be nuked. You seem to have no regard for other populations.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join