It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two US Soldiers Accused Of Raping Teenage Girls In South Korea

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoClue206
reply to post by brill

So would you be willing to step up a kill these men if asked? They didn't kill anyone but rape is punishable by death in our country, wait wait......no it's not. They deserve punishment but not death, that's going a little overboard.

No not really. I have a serious problem when people, especially so called adults, go after kids, in any capacity. Who really cares how the perpetrators feel its completely unimportant. How do you think their victims feel for the rest of their lives? No I stand clearly by what I said....shoot them...several times.

brill

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I was watching "I Survived" the other day and there was the story of a girl who was raped by 2 men...so, my wife says, "How do two men with the personality twist that causes them to do this actually find out that they are both willing to rape someone? I mean, it's not like you sit around talking about raping women and two guys just happen to figure out that they have the desire to do so, right?"

I dunno?

I'm 47, have worked in some pretty rough-and-tumble industries, as well as seeing the other side as a corporate engineer. I have never, ever had a conversation with another man that led me to believe he was a rapist. Maybe there is something they see in each other that others don't see and makes them feel comfortable bringing it up?

Sriously, if someone said to me, "Hey let's go rape so-and-so." ...that would be a bad day.

I hope these guys get exactly what they deserve. Turn 'em into a pin cushion in Leavenworth.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Well isn't this going to improve relations?

They hate us over there as it is..

Why we are even there, I have no idea.. what is Korea to us? Nothing. Let them protect their own borders, deal with their own issues .. there is absolutely no reason to hold 37,000 troops in a country for as long as we have.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Well isn't this going to improve relations?

They hate us over there as it is..

Why we are even there, I have no idea.. what is Korea to us? Nothing. Let them protect their own borders, deal with their own issues .. there is absolutely no reason to hold 37,000 troops in a country for as long as we have.

The ROK citizens USED to love us, due to the fact that we actually DID prevent a communist take over (please don't get into semantics about causal effects). The thing is, we had our foot in the door, and ended up taking advantage of a gracious host. The original intent of for staying there changed long ago. Right now, ROK simply provides a base of operation in this particular sector of the Asian Theater.

Korea was vulnerable after the war and we took advantage of it. YES, they eagerly accepted our generous offerings, such as technology, security, and such, but they have long since had the ability to stand upon their own two feet, and the general population KNOW this.

We need to get the hell out of there, and out of at least another hundred based throughout the world. The stark reality of the current geopolitical status however, will never allow for that. World War III is taking place as we speak, though most people do not even grasp this.

Peace.............

PS
Forgot to mention that my nephew just finished up his tour/station assignment over in Korea. Thank God. Now he is right in the middle of Army Ranger School. He is young, strong, and confident, but that may not be enough for what is coming.
edit on 8-10-2011 by oldenough because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

Before we do the 100 meter rush to judgment, how about we actually see if the allegations are legitimate? Our status of forces agreements still gives the soldiers the presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by oldenough

Indeed, in the 50's and 60's it was logical. Now the Koreans have grown up with our base and our protection and are accustomed to it. In short... they lost their appreciation.

We should leave as soon as possible.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonTattooz

your response deserves more attention. what drives a man to rape a woman/girl? lust? power? ability to get away with it? there are a number of articles in law about what rape is. its a crime. but more than just assault. its taking something from the victim. but much more than theft. and the fact is any man with a penis can commit this crime. in this country we don't castrate such criminals. but at one time, the death penalty was seriously considered for such an offense. rape in the first degree carries a life imprisonment penalty. from the general responses of this op, i'm glad to see such an outrage for such offenses. it is underreported and punishment rarely seems to go far enough. i can't say if the 2 privates did commit the offenses, but in rape cases, it takes a lot of courage for the women to come forward, especially in societies where the shame and embarrassment of being the victim forces the victim and their families to stay quiet.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Without intending to come off as crude...Is this really that surprising? Or the worst act that we've heard a U.S (or UK) soldier commit?

I've heard stories of abuse & rape happen in Iraq and the Middle East from American & British soldiers, which makes this one pale in comparison.

However, acts such as this are #@£$'ing cowardly, and I'm sure these guys would not want the same thing happen to their younger sisters...

It's just sad more than anything else, that the girls had to suffer this traumatic experience.

& also sad that this kind of news only reflects poorly (& unfairly) on the U.S Army, and all the outstanding soldiers.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

For once I agree with you. Until there is a full investigation carried out, and it is proven, then condemnation of these rapes is invalid. Until it is proven I will withhold judgement.

However if it is proven, then these soldiers should face the full force of the law in the country where these rapes took place.
edit on 8-10-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

When found to be true, we should admit that war is completely insane. And paying 20 somethings for the express purpose to potentially participate in violent domination usually ends up encouraging violence, death murder.. in one way or another. Ultimately that is the purpose. If this story was coming from Iraq or Afghanistan it would barely get a mention.. it wouldn't make it out as a story to start a thread on.

I got an idea. Leave South Korea, Bring them all home. End all the wars. When ALL military returns from all wars and "posts" we should apologize for having participated at all in the support for any of it. We should pay them well and re-assign them internally to help fix this country.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Has anyone considered this might very well be MSM or some other source disinfo against American soldiers who may have very well did absolutely nothing wrong, but were actually set up?
It'd be absolutely nothing to pay any number of people a small amount of cash to tell a story about the 'evil American soldiers that did horrible things to children'.

I'm not saying this did or didn't happen. If it did happen, it's horrible, but, if it didn't happen, well, that's kind of horrible too.
What I'm saying is; question the media.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Original post
prompting U.S. military officials to apologize Saturday as they tried to ease growing public anger.
Army Brig. Gen. David Conboy, who supervises the U.S. garrison in Seoul, issued a statement apologizing

for usa to apologize is rare. This is the only shocker

edit on 8/10/11 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Clearly, the US need to rein in their military....first start from the inside out because rape from the inside of military women by their male peers is so rife yet the American public sweep it under the carpet. Yeah sure, I hear afew squawks from the public but bottom line is thats all they do and it's forgotten within days after a media release just like this one. This is not a taboo subject, it's not going to go away, and it WILL happen again. Obviously the military don't train their men to respect women since some of them never had it in the first place. Psychological testing in the military is a big fail.

Any soldier that commits such a henious act should not only be immediately suspended but do the maximum jail time and made to pay for retribution to the victim.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I agree with oldenough. The odds that these soldiers raped anyone are slim. Extortion of service members in Asia is rampant. Odds are these “teens” which were probably prostitutes who asked the soldiers for extra money. When the soldiers didn’t pay up they called the police. UCMJ will be swift and the soldiers will likely face a severe and unfair form of NJP to make an example of them. The word will be out; just let the girls extort you or you will be labeled as rapist. Have any of you read any of the stories or know someone personally that had prostitutes’ drug service members or American and European tourists and robbing them. I have. In foreign countries Americans are always guilty and the sex trade in Korea is rampant.
Everyone likes to chime in about rape of female service members in Iraq and Afghanistan. As most of you should know since you’re all commenting. GO-1A and GO-1B make the act of sex or cohabitation by service members in a combat zone is a violation of policy. I am not saying that rapes don’t happen but many times a reported rape is actually one of the two people caught in the act trying to save their career. If two soldiers in a combat zone are caught in a sex act one of the parties can get out of punishment it is reported as rape by one of the parties. If it they both report it as consensual they both are charged with a violation of GO-1. This is especially hard on the Army with soldiers doing multiple back to back deployments. Sex is human nature and some soldiers are on the 4th 5th tours. People want to have sex and when they get caught they forced to dime somebody out to keep a career going. If you don’t believe this your naive about human nature and the way the military operates.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Wow... im impressed...

You hands down beat any and all competition when it came to the 100 meter rush to judgment.

Any chance at all you would like to extend the UCMJ and US Constitution to these people? Or would you prefer a drumhead and be done with it?

Learn what a status of forces agreement is and how it works.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
If they are found guilty under a court of law, then throw the bloody book at both of them. Wearing a uniform brings a heavy responsibilty. Those that cannot uphold that do not deserve to don it.
Sadly, rape by soldiers is thousands of years old, but now we are meant to have better values. Soldiers are meant to be better trained are follow a set of regulations.

On the main, they do. It is the minority, such as these two (if convicted) that stain the reputation of others that are truly trying to hold the values and responsibilities as high as possible.

Men like this are not soldiers, they are thugs in uniform. They have no right to wear their cap badge and (again, if found guilty) should be made an example of. The troops stationed in SK are their to ensure peace and protection, not violate young girls and terrorise the population.

SHAME ON THEM.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

If they are found guilty, lets not jump to conclusions, until after the investigation is carried out. They should be tried in the Country, by that countries justice system. They should not be tried under US Military Law. If the US wants to show, they will deal severely with incident such as this. They should allow this to go to Civil Courts.

But if the investigation proves false. These two Soldiers will be marred for the rest of their lives.
edit on 10-10-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

I agree. As I said, if they are found guilty.
If not, then it should be made public that they are innocent and free to carry on serving.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

It is funny, I am usually the first one to come out and state this is wrong, and they should be held to account. But this time I will let the investigation proceed before I state my opinions. Lets just hope the US Military does not try and cover this one up.
edit on 10-10-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Some more info is coming out. The soldiers were off duty when this incident occured, so there is no military involvement other than turning the individuals over to S. korean authorities. So far the PA for Seoul has obtained an indictment for one of the soldiers (For those who arent familiar an indictment means a panel of civilians hears testimony from people involved and at the end they decide if there is enough evidence to warrant charges or not). An indictment is NOT a guilty verdict.

There has been some rumbelings about the status of forces agreement since apparently their media is stoking the fires by suggesting they had to demand the Us turn over the personnel, which the US military stating they never said they werent going to (guy was transfered once the paperwork was done, per the agreements).

Soldier to be indicted for sexual assault

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join