It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two US Soldiers Accused Of Raping Teenage Girls In South Korea

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Two U.S. soldiers have been accused of raping teenage girls in South Korea in separate incidents, prompting U.S. military officials to apologize Saturday as they tried to ease growing public anger.

Army Brig. Gen. David Conboy, who supervises the U.S. garrison in Seoul, issued a statement apologizing for "pain" caused by allegations that a U.S. soldier raped a girl in her rented room in Seoul on Sept. 17. That solider — a private in his early 20s — is being questioned by police but has not been arrested.

Another U.S. private has been arrested on suspicion of raping a teenage girl on Sept. 24 in a city north of Seoul. The top U.S. diplomat for East Asia, Kurt Campbell, apologized Friday for what he called a "tragic and inexcusable rape that took place about a week ago." It was not clear which of the two incidents he was referring to.

The alleged assaults have prompted small protests near the U.S. Embassy in Seoul, while the Internet has been abuzz with Koreans expressing their anger. On Saturday, a minor labor party called for restricting the movement of American soldiers outside their bases.

Stories like this are really hard to stomach. We've heard the same type of thing from other parts of the world our troops are stationed, mainly in Iraq and Afghanistan. I support out troops, but will never, ever, accept some of the abuses which they are involved in.

There are no excuses for something like this to happen, ever. I don't care how tough your current job is, how much you miss home, or how unstable your current environment is. Raping another human being is despicable behavior, especially from anyone serving in the military.

news.yahoo.com...
edit on 8-10-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I hope the DOD, if they are found to be guilty, nails these bastards to the wall. What they do in uniform reflects upon us all.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This is absolutely disgusting and is in no way a reflection of American ideals, beliefs and morals. If these men are found guilty, I hope to God they are punished with the harshest possible penalty they can receive.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Why do I hear an echo?

As if the US presence in SK wasn't tenuous enough already.

:shk:

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

I really wish that they would bring castration into the law as punishment, along with a life sentence of making big rocks, into little rocks behind bars.

For...the...rest...of ...their...lives.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Japan had these same type of stories and also the mid east. Clearly these individuals seem to assume that because of what they represent and who they represent the end will work out in their favour. If convicted, shoot them.

brill

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
here we go again!!!! does it say he is even arrested for a crime yet??? NOOO but hey we all know because hes a dude he must have done it lets string him up now who needs proof after all she said he did it and in America that is all you need to say

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
here we go again!!!! does it say he is even arrested for a crime yet??? NOOO but hey we all know because hes a dude he must have done it lets string him up now who needs proof after all she said he did it and in America that is all you need to say

Can you read?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Sadly it happens alot more than gets reported.. And in most cases when reported nothing is done about it other than the rapist getting quietly transfered out to another duty station...
U.S needs to shut down all it foriegn bases and go home.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

You want to cut off their genitals and imprison them for life, that seems a little harsh.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

So would you be willing to step up a kill these men if asked? They didn't kill anyone but rape is punishable by death in our country, wait wait......no it's not. They deserve punishment but not death, that's going a little overboard.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Eye for an eye. If they are found guilty they should be raped themselves by female rapists.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NoClue206

Only if found guilty. I think a lot of would be rapists would think twice if they knew their goolies were going to be loped off if caught.

I hate rapists, what can I say. I have many sisters and if someone were ever convicted of raping one of them, I would probably go to jail for murder as I would seek revenge if they were ever set free.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
99% of the people replying here need to grow the hell up. Odds are, NOT ONE of you has been to South Korea. I highly doubt these soldiers raped these girls. #, you would think that this was a story about a little puppy being thrown into a river or something.

Do you know how many times soldiers have been the victims of extortion? Especially in foreign countries? First off, there is no need to rape a woman in Korea. Sex is extremely cheap and widely available. Don't give me the crap pertaining to the psychology of a rapist either.

Let this play out in the courts, then you can freak out.

What the hell happened to innocent until proven guilty.

Oh, by the way, I've been to South Korea MANY TIMES. I've conducted full scale Amphibious Warfare Exercises with the 'ROK's' and have enjoyed a few rounds of J. Walker Red Label.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I wonder how much the U.S soldiers have raped in the wars........

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by oldenough

Well, let's let the UCMJ handle it then.

If they are found guilty beyond reasonable doubt under the high standard of the UCMJ then they should be punished accordingly and I would welcome it.

If they are found to be innocent even better.

Crime should be punished no matter who does it.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I think people that text and drive should have their thumbs cut off. I don't think it will happen, but it would make them think twice before doing it. Sounds excessive doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NoClue206

I see we're on the same page.

Yea, I don't think it will happen, but I think it should.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rabzdguy
I wonder how much the U.S soldiers have raped in the wars........

Why do you need wars for rape? Or US Soldiers for that matter?

Rape happens daily around the world, with or without war. That's just a fact.

It's a dispicable crime no matter where it is commited and that is where the attention should be focused.

Or doesn't that fact agree with your political ideology?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoClue206

I think people that text and drive should have their thumbs cut off. I don't think it will happen, but it would make them think twice before doing it. Sounds excessive doesn't it?

Not excessive at all. I'm all for it. If people are so self centered they are holding up traffic, holding up other peoples schedules, ignoring the flow, not paying attention to their surroundings, and risking injury/death to others, all because they're texting a friend about their next hair appointment, then no, I do not care if their thumbs are removed.

Hell, I think a great way to increase revenue for cities/states, is to start ticketing every poor driver you see. Fine the hell out of them for all I care.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join