It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EGO...hmmphf What is it good for????

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Absolutely nothing!

Why do the people with the biggest ego get the biggest prizes???? Why is it when one suppresses their ego for the good of all we get the short end of the stick????

I just had an experience today with a high ego elevated individual. All that being said, he wanted to ask me a lot of questions....of course, being the supportive person that I am....I answered the questions, but I felt like...dude...do the work yourself...don't ask me because you are lacking in certain areas....aaarrgh..just venting!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by blazenresearcher

Ego makes you not want to make a fool of yourself, sometimes when you get really drunk you forget who you are,

and you go in to subconcious mad person mode...

(or loose your ego)... and sometimes you headbutt your best friend for no reason and you find out the next day... ego

useful? sometimes?

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Ego simply means "The self". It's natural for you to have ego, and if you try to rid yourself of it, you can't live a normal healthy life.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
If you are the ego, then who is aware of the ego?

Just saying.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Absolutely nothing! Why do the people with the biggest ego get the biggest prizes

Contradicted yourself pretty quickly there.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

of course, being the supportive person that I am
That's ego

don't ask me because you are lacking in certain areas
Oh look ego again!

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Absolutely nothing! Why do the people with the biggest ego get the biggest prizes

Contradicted yourself pretty quickly there.

Watch the one liners..
Some people whinge about them..

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The Ego can be beneficial at times. There are people that are way too Selfless and Community-orientated that they sacrifice their own happiness and fulfillment (even when it wouldn't be at the expense of others).

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Ego is a sense of high self-importance I believe which is instigated by excessive thinking about oneself... When we think of others too we are actually doing something constructive to tame the ego. Self-respect and self-esteem are different things though that are often confused with the ego. The ability to let go of things and renouncing the desires that are no good can help control the ego in my opinion.
Having a huge inflated ego can be really debilitating at times...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I like to think of Ego as a child or baby. It has a lot of wants and needs, but it doesn't actually try to help others.

The ego needs to be loved and coddled. If it doesn't get what it wants, it will either become sad and cry, or throw a tantrum and get angry. I feel like the ego is really needy.

Also, the ego is afraid of getting hurt, so in one way, an ego can be really weak like a baby. It wants you to protect it. For example, say you really love a girl, and you want to ask her out. The ego might say something like, "Nah! Don't do it, man! She's just going to reject you!"

Egos can be strong, but I feel like that's because they're stubborn. They want their way and aren't likely to share or give in to other people's demands. In that way, the ego is like a selfish child. When people get into arguments with each other, and neither can back down. They both think they're right, but they won't spend the time to realize that maybe they're both right. If they back down, that would be like telling the ego, hey you don't know everything. That would make the ego mad because it doesn't like being told it's wrong.

It's really crazy what the ego can make us do. o_O
edit on 10/8/2011 by Xaberz because: typo

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Whats so great about preservation of self? Your going to die one day it's innevitable. So what does it really matter when it happens. All the materialistic things you hold close mean nothing. Nothing really matters. So why care if your about to get your head cut off?

Whether there is life after death. Or that we never really truly die isn't important here. Again why the preservation of self? The ego has importance it's there for a reason. It needs to be balanced yes. But it has importance just like preservation.

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
My thoughts are related to the ego - I have never been able to get the rationale behind 'love yourself'.
My ego tells me that self love feels too narcissistic so I prefer my ego to live by the rationale;

Love is what you give to others - the part of love you keep for yourself is self respect.
When you respect yourself it is so much easier to respect other people.

I see the cabal/illuminati/whatever are very ego dominated and lacking self respect - and as such - they really don't exhibit respect for others, planet Earth or our combined future.

Just my thoughts.

Much Peace...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by blazenresearcher
Why do the people with the biggest ego get the biggest prizes???? Why is it when one suppresses their ego for the good of all we get the short end of the stick????

Don't despair,
Those that suppress their ego will get the best prize of all >
enlightenment.
Those that dwell on their ego are blinded
by their ego, and will miss out on the whole meaning of life.
Egomaniacs and sociopaths go hand in hand.
It's a weight and a handicap I'm thankful not
to be burdened with,
Enlightenment is empowering as well as
something to be thankful for.

edit on 9/10/11 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
My thoughts are related to the ego - I have never been able to get the rationale behind 'love yourself'.
My ego tells me that self love feels too narcissistic so I prefer my ego to live by the rationale;

Love is what you give to others - the part of love you keep for yourself is self respect.
When you respect yourself it is so much easier to respect other people.

I see the cabal/illuminati/whatever are very ego dominated and lacking self respect - and as such - they really don't exhibit respect for others, planet Earth or our combined future.

Just my thoughts.

Much Peace...

How can you love Everyone else, if you can't love yourself first? But most run from loving themselves because there's something about themselves they don't like/love. So the first step in learning how to Love Everyone, is to learn how to love one's self.

The bible says to love thy neighbor as thyself but what if you don't love thyself?
Since that is clearly THE cause of most Hate, why kNot flip it around logically, then see what happens:

"Love thyself as thy neighbor."

That makes you look at who you should be looking at . . . Yourself!

Loving Everyone is a great way to reduce the Ego, but is only a step in the right direction.

As to the Illuminati, please don't think they are ego dominated. They are the exact opposite but considering they are all about misdirection/disinformation, it's kNot surprising you think of them they way you dew.

Peace & Love!

Ribbit

edit on 9-10-2011 by ButtUglyToad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ButtUglyToad

While I respect your opinion I don't think you get my point. I have self respect and that is all I need - I do not need to love myself - that I give to others. In turn love for me will come from someone else - far healthier option - but that is my belief.

As for the bible - the bible is missing many many chapters and until I can read one in its entirety I will not base my beliefs on the condensed version that has been syphoned off to us.

Yes the cabal/illuminati/whatever are definitely ego driven - everything they do they do to benefit themselves and their sense of self importance.If they truly cared for other people it would be because they had self respect. What they have is self love and self adoration and self belief and self self self ...get it?

Much Peace...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ToneDeaf

Originally posted by blazenresearcher

Don't despair,
Those that suppress their ego will get the best prize of all >
enlightenment.
Those that dwell on their ego are blinded
by their ego, and will miss out on the whole meaning of life.
Egomaniacs and sociopaths go hand in hand.
It's a weight and a handicap I'm thankful not
to be burdened with,
Enlightenment is empowering as well as
something to be thankful for.

edit on 9/10/11 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

I don't know if you relise this but that whole post was pretty ego driven!

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
reply to post by ButtUglyToad

While I respect your opinion I don't think you get my point. I have self respect and that is all I need - I do not need to love myself - that I give to others. In turn love for me will come from someone else - far healthier option - but that is my belief.

As for the bible - the bible is missing many many chapters and until I can read one in its entirety I will not base my beliefs on the condensed version that has been syphoned off to us.

Yes the cabal/illuminati/whatever are definitely ego driven - everything they do they do to benefit themselves and their sense of self importance.If they truly cared for other people it would be because they had self respect. What they have is self love and self adoration and self belief and self self self ...get it?

Much Peace...

I guess you don't realize that Ego fuels Judgment of others, as you have judged the Illuminati?

It's said "To err is human, to forgive divine." To forgive only feeds the ego, so where's the divine in that?

Ribbit

edit on 9-10-2011 by ButtUglyToad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

I agree that the concept is not good for much; no one can agree on what it means!

What it seems you may be talking about is the impulse some people have to want to overwhelm, or dominate others. This impulse originates, I suppose, from various fearful ideas.

On the other hand, when you make someone wrong for having too much "ego" you are taking a different approach to people that is also not very healthy.

It would be great, I suppose, if everyone could just "be themselves." This also might imply "be more honest."

This is a great goal that most people can only dream about, since they refuse to learn how to achieve it.

If you think other people are dangerous, or potential enemies, then you will not take the honest approach. To truly bring someone up out of that state of mind takes a lot of work. If you wish to help such people get better, try being a bit antagonistic with them. This will tend to make them a little braver and more willing to be honest with you. But if you do this, you must be prepared for their honesty! It isn't always pretty.

The commonly-agreed perception on earth is that life is sort of like a football game. That's why "ego" gets rewarded. If you want to perceive life differently, you will have troubles with many people. But if your vision of life is truly saner, people who interact with you will often benefit from doing so, even if they seem to be upset at the time.

I don't mind "ego" that much. But I must watch for which type of "ego" it is. Someone can display a "strong" personality because they are truly strong. Look beyond their words to their deeds and their friends to verify this. Truly strong people are the major source of good in this world. They deserve your support.

Sometimes you can only tell a faker by the disparity between his words and his actions. He is a compulsive liar and will have few true friends. He will be constantly battling everyone, even people who aren't even aware he exists. Seriously fake people are the main source of evil in this world. Avoid them at all costs. Their only power comes from stronger people's willingness to cooperate with them.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Ego can be a good thing. Oh...how awful for those that are stuck on their selves.

I love all people. Yet I discriminate on an individual basis. No wide painting brushes here. All people are important.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I always have to try to read carefully to grasp what each persons interpretation of "ego" is, such varied opinions exist! It sometimes seems to be whatever urges, drives, or motivations they don't like, in themselves and therefore in others.

I tend to see ego as all that I am in entirety, but am capable of looking at it differently in order to see from another point of view.

For example, I can look at it as "self consciousness" and the other non-ego part as "consciousness of other", which grapple with each other to find compromise and balance.

It does seem like the drive to dominate or have power over others is being seen here as the "bad ego".
I personally do not find it bad. I often find that people who have that motivation strongly do because they have inner desiress to be overpowered or dominated, and as most of humans, assume everyone else does too.
We all instinctively give out what we want to recieve- even if that want is subconscious!

It's just part of the hierarchial/social drive. We are social animals, and social animals have hierarchy as part of group organization for cooperation and cohesiveness.
Call it being dominated, or call it being led, having a protector, having a guide.....one can call it any of these things. If you can access memories of a time you wanted someone else to just help you and tell you what to do, because you don't know.... or just wanted someone else to take the reins because you are drained and exhausted from carrying responsibility for decision making... then you know what that desire to be dominated/led is.

In our interactions, our instincts are pulled to mirror the behaviors of others. If the behavior of another is not what we want to do or be, that determines how we feel in response to them. A person who is acting as if they want to overwhelm and dominate you is subconsciously provoking you to make that same effort towards them!

If you believe it is wrong to do that, then you feel at odds with yourself, and get resentful for the way they made you driven to do so. Why did you not tell the guy what you wanted to tell him? Push him back verbally, be assertive and step into his "space" the way you felt he was doing to you? Because you judge that bad to do?

But consider this- what if he actually wanted you to do that? Is it wrong to give a person what they desire?
Why is it better to put your desires and your code of personal ethic above anothers?

Consider, for example, the teenage boy- a common conflict they go through is with their rising testosterone, they develop and inner fear of their own strength and ability to master their emotional and physical force (the Incredible Hulk syndrome). What they begin to want to is to see that others can push them back or put a lid on them if they lose control- to overpower them. They begin pushing the limits of those around them in many ways- I poke you, push you, what are you going to do? Can you help me? Can you be strong enough?

The more everyone around submits, runs, or otherwise fails the challenge, the more unhappy the boy gets. Until he finds an adult who will dominate and put him in his place, to give him time to learn to master himself. Military is good when no one else around is able, or willing (due to their code of ethics on leaving people their freedom) to help him out.

There are beneficial and good ways the urge to dominate and assert your individual power upon another, ways in which it is more compassionate and ultimately, more caring of others, to do so.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join