It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Computer virus area 51?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Ok please dont tear me in half for this, with all the hackings lately and how they seem to be getting better at what they are doing do you think anonymous or any other hacking group could hack area 51? Infact im surprised somebody hasent hacked them it seems like a key place you would want to if you had the courage and ability to do so...maybe somebody has hacked them but ive never heard of it happening has anyone else?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I've never heard about Area 51 being hacked, but then again I've never heard ANYTHING officially about Area 51. IF Area 51 were to be hacked, do you think we would ever find out?

Besides which, most people think these days that Area 51 is no longer used for anything too secretive, because so many people think it is. Now people think it's the base in Dulce, NM that does all the wild UFO adventures.

Sure, it seems like a logical choice to try and break into, but it also seems like a very hard target.

I'd sure like to know what secrets the government is keeping from us regarding technology and alien life, but I doubt anyone will be able to smuggle any sort of info out of such a sensitive area any time soon.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The problem with DOS'ing Area51 is, that their low orbit ion cannon is the real deal, and they'll vaporize you the moment you hit the enter key.

If rumors are to be trusted, that is.

edit on 7-10-2011 by H1ght3chHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
To 'hack' any secure facility, one would need onsite access in person hands-on and lots of time since secure data systems live offline, with backups, and backups to those backups. It would essentially amount to physical theft of physical drives smuggled in for the purpose of data copy and exit.
Setting up a hard line, a wireless connection, or some other Hollywood fantasy silliness wouldn't work due to infrastructure onsite, and RF lock down with traffic shaping.
You can't just put some little thumb drive on a terminal, infect with a 'virus' and suddenly have magical wireless access from or to the outside.
Even if someone were to infect some systems like what's happened with the drones, and exactly like what's happened with the drones, the virus may present, and even occupy on a few systems, but, effects would likely be negligible as is the case with the drones still flying missions with little or no concern.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I know for a FACT that it would be possible to hack their nipr network if you really had the will to but any thing higher then secret is not hooked to the www and anything they work on is above TS/SCI and those networks you cant plug a usb device in with out the net admins knowing instantly and most dvd burning is restricted and printing has been locked down since the sipr wiki leaks incident so there is no way any one would be able to get the cool black ops aircraft or possible aliens

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Funny you mentioned this, i just posted a story from yahoo about drones are infedted with viruses should check it out.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SpunGCake

5 other people have beat you to it. Old news.
Best practice: search before posting.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpunGCake
Funny you mentioned this, i just posted a story from yahoo about drones are infedted with viruses should check it out.
Your post is why i posted this lol, got me thinking of the biggest place i would want to hack the most if i had the resources, time and skill

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

in a place like area51 you would think that they have dedicated stand alone servers for all there top level secrets at least i would so the only way to view it on location and you would have been seen by a whole butt load of security. so even if you did get a flash drive or a picture would be like fly's on a big cow pie.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Spot on!

As this guy said, any good info at area 51 would most likely not be connected to the www.
It would have to be some sort of physical data storage you would need to obtain.
Otherwise, you can bet china and russia would be attempting to break in non stop.

I have nothing to back this up with, but, if you had the money, and really wanted things to be secure,
You could hire a team to develop your very own unique operating system and hardware which would be incompatible with windows/apple/linux flavors. I mean, if i was in charge of keeping data safe, i would pursue this idea. It is of course not foolproof, as with anything elae, but just one more level of complexity any potential thief would have to deal with.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

There are indeed benefits to a proprietary OS from a security stand point.
There are, however, also drawbacks, namely accountability and support. Whoever develops the OS would be accountable for its operation, and, well, they'd be relied on a little too heavily for a truly secure system. If anything happened to the developer(s), then, well, you're screwed and can't get at your own data if there's a break.
A Linux, or Unix flavor solution running on proprietary hardware would be the best practice route; providing security, and a larger knowledge base pool of recruitment for administration.

Then again, in consideration of OS running on satellites, the space shuttle, ISS, probes we've sent out, major telescope systems, LHC, military jets, tanks, ships, submarines, missile systems, and many more, these all have custom code written specifically for their hardware, so, for a place like Area 51 (real & imagined versions), a proprietary OS running on proprietary hardware is not only not a far fetched idea, but, a higher probability than any other.

Further, regarding something mentioned about a DOS attack, how is anyone going to run a DOS on something that already lives completely unconnected offline behind several layers of physical security already? Physical DOS is actually part of the security in barring access to everyone but those with clearance to have access.
Information security is about so much more than simple one dimensional strategies like encryption and only encryption. Physical access, control and accountability of control over that access, all the elements of disaster recovery and planning, and many other folds take part.

Possibly one of the best, most secure systems for data security right now, would be a simple box of paper documents under 20 dozen layers of lock and key, automatic, and human security systems. Try hacking that without an army at your back.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LvSLoLo

Everyone should read fatherdeath's post to this thread HERE; this analysis is 100% spot on. Anyone who has ever held a DoD security clearance knows that information classified at or above the "Industrial Secret" level can only be handled on stand-alone computers or networks physically isolated from the WWW. Anyone that claims to have accessed TOP SECRET, or even DoD SECRET, information through the internet is either fabricating a story or has stumbled upon several insiders working together to subvert information handling safeguards (a crime punishable by death).

Best regards,
Z

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I doubt anyone would write their own OS from scratch these days. It is easier to build a custom distribution of linux. Google, stock exchanges, etc. do this. Google has their own file system as well.

The NSA is a big fan of linux. In fact, they wrote some of the open source code to make it more secure. Most linux distributions have this feature, though setting up security enhanced linux is a skill it itself.

en.wikipedia.org...
twit.tv...
twit.tv...

My recollection is there is a gray area in the interwebs where the contractors and DoD hang out. If you think about it, the contractors are creating the top secret stuff, at least regarding what you would find at Groom Lake. [Obviously stuff like foreign intel comes from the NSA, though there are private intelligence firms these days too.] The recent RSA hack is probably the biggest threat to security ever. Most hacks are just something shown in a lab, but actual secure accounts were hacked when they cracked the RSA code. Looks like the RSA's server is down. Hacked again? ;-)

BTW, it is DDoS, not DOS attacks. You need a number of servers to attack your server. One guy pinging the crap out of you is just an annoyance.

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
anonymous is very good they have a army ole over the world
i think they are good anough to hack area51 keep hoping guys

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I get the feeling that anything that important is important enough not to leave plugged into the wifi and super world-changing information would be sent between installations via blackbox and jet rather than by email.

top topics

join