It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS Survey: Occupy Wall Street

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
This event will be looked back as the spark that set off the United States. Even here in Las Vegas it was headline news last night. But the best part was it was not the Occupy Wall Street event making the news, but the Occupy Las Vegas now taking place.The spark has been set. The fire will continue to grow and will most likely end in what we have all seen coming for a long while.

Funny the timing of everything? Seems like a lot of hunches were spot on in terms of the general timing of the fall. Great Civilizations far and wide spread across time ALL thinking the same thing.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

The expectation that everyone CAN academically succeed is problematic concerning the "right" to education including the first four years of college.

Everyone has sat in classes with students who had no ability to comprehend the subject-matter. I know it is not "nice" to point out that some people do not have the intellectual capacity to learn beyond a basic level, but it is a reality we all must recognize.

And if we ignore that reality and make it a "right," then colleges will teach for the least common denominator-- just like public schools-- forced to pass, and so forced to lower expectations of meeting requirements. No doubt, the negative sociological implications will be ignored, even though they are as predictable as they will be chaotic. Of course, when we try to fund it, we will look to other causes of economic woes to punish.

Wall Street is guilty as it can be. Stock holders are as guilty as they can be. Our political leaders are as guilty as they can be. Also guilty are bureaucrats, immoral or unethical business leaders (union and non-union) catering to stock-holders or their own wallets, and everyone of us who pick sides to blame only the "them," but never the "us."

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I think I forgot to add one question...

"Will the original core message of eliminating corporate financial influence from government, be marginalized, obfuscated, and otherwise eliminated through the politicization of the movement in mainstream media?"

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

"Will the original core message of eliminating corporate financial influence from government, be marginalized, obfuscated, and otherwise eliminated through the politicization of the movement in mainstream media?"

In my opinion, it all depends on its citizens and its impact across the nation and how well they are structured otherwise it will simply die out as another movement no matter how many socialites are involved.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Just some context for the roots of this 'movement':

When Vancouver-based Adbusters presented the idea to the world, it did so in the form of a poster that featured a dancer posed on the shoulders of the Wall Street bull statue, a foggy clamour of demonstrators behind her. The poster asked the question, "What is our one demand?" Activist groups seized on it, as did the hacktivist group Anonymous, and a collective began to form. The arrests of 700 demonstrators on the Brooklyn Bridge on Oct. 1 pushed the event to the fore of media coverage.

vancouver.openfile.ca...

img.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 7-10-2011 by rabidrabbit because: Why aren't my images showing up?

edit on 7-10-2011 by rabidrabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Most likely; Yes. It is already happening, as MNBC and the Unions try and latch onto the movement. We'll see if the 'movement' can purge them. I think they have a fighting chance.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShogunAssassins
reply to post by Resonant

The corpirations drove the mom and pop stores out of America, not the gov. The American gov is not outsourcing our jobs and attempting to find slave labor.

Where did you let YOUR mom and pop business get driven to
Why did you allow that? Looks to me like mom and pop businesses are about the only ones NOT being driven out - can't afford to re-locate. I'd guess they are the future of America, rather than the multi-nationals.

I would think that multi-nationals, being MULTI-NATIONALS, ought not to be allowed to do business in America at all without some stiff and heavy fees and taxes for the privilege. The same would apply to any other foreign (i.e. "not American" - covers multi-nationals, too...) corporation. Of course, we'd have to get DC's attention for that to ever happen, rather than Wall Streets attention...

Those "regulation" you are talking about some of the only things that protects the middle class from the corpirate monster we let be created in this country.

How so? What are they protecting YOU from? or are you, perhaps, not "middle class"?

Like most programs you missed the point, social programs are not intended to stimulate the econemy. They are intended to show that we are an evolved species that takes care of others.. Some of us are atleast.

I reckon I'm one of those "unevolved ones". I take care of my own, and expect that you should do the same. Can't figure out how it became a government problem.

edit on 2011/10/7 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

"I believe that, if violence is to occur, that those responsible should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, and that they should expect such prosecution as a necessary outcome."

I am assuming from the question that it means no matter where the violence originates from (either protestors or Police) then any party should expect to be prosecuted under the current laws, and rightly so.

October 15th. Occupy goes Global.

Peaceful Non Compliance.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Not as long as there are lobbyists. And there will be lobbyists as long as there is a First Amendment that has not been butcherd or otherwise compromised.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This question struck me as a non sequitir:

"I believe everyone deserves the right to a free and high-quality education, including the first four years of college."

Colleges are bastions of liberalism, so there is a hidden agenda here....

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccupyPlanet
one comming to a city near you,
good networking opportunities
to start new businesses
and relate with like minded people
lets link up and and share our new ideas

The one "coming to a city near me" fizzled out. it was so brief no one even noticed the flash in the pan. I would have thought it would have gotten more traction - there are about 6 colleges in the immediate area.

edit on 2011/10/7 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

The one "coming to a city near me" fizzled out. it was so brief no one even noticed the flash in the pan.

That's interesting, where's you nearest City?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

That was the original core message? It was already a free-for-all with no clear stated direction by the time I got wind of it.

That's what I get for not having TV, I reckon.

If that was their message in the beginning, why did they start with Wall Street? Seems that could be more properly addressed with a bit of properly designed legislation... in Washington, DC, where people's jobs actually depend on the electorate which is demonstrating at their door...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I implore people to actually listen to not only the motivation but the demands of these protesters prior to answering this survey. It is possible to support their reason but not their solution. Don't jump on a bandwagon if you have no idea where it's headed.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

That was the original core message? It was already a free-for-all with no clear stated direction by the time I got wind of it.

Have you ever considered that the way you 'got wind of it' might have been intentionally diluting and confusing the message? You seem overly intent upon maligning a 'movement' that you say you know little about.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
This question struck me as a non sequitir:

"I believe everyone deserves the right to a free and high-quality education, including the first four years of college."

Colleges are bastions of liberalism, so there is a hidden agenda here....

Not the college I went to.

Or are you implying facts favor a certain political ideology?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Done.

This question:

"I believe that mainstream media is intentionally ignoring and/or mocking the protesters and their intentions."

The last few weeks that may have been true, but no longer. I listened to an interesting report this morning on public radio about OWS. Bottom line: What's happens when winter comes?

Sample of MSM coverage:

CNN homepage

FOX homepage

MSNBC lede, homepage

New York Times homepage

Wall Street Journal homepage (buried at the bottom)

edit on 7-10-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Nah. Unlike the Tea Party this group will hold its core ideals in place and will not except leadership otherwise. (Based on listening to radio and TV interviews of the protesters). I may head into Boston tonight to see what it looks like, I drove past two nights ago and tried to take a pic when I realized what I was seeing, but camera is no good without a flash at night. If I do, I'll start a thread on ATS... I'll interview folks and take lots of pics (with my real camera not smartphone)... try to get some first hand reporting here, maybe even ask if people are familiar with this website. I can position myself as simply a member of ATS. I'll know in an hour or so if I can get the time to do it.
edit on 7-10-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

What's happens when winter comes?

Then if this movement is genuine, like I think it is, it will continue.

It gets cold in Winter, I have known this and felt this for 30+ years.

Wear warm clothing and continue. Were there suspensions in the World Wars during Winter? Umm, no. (Well except for Christmas)

I'm not saying this is a war, but we need to be resiliant.

I would prefer that this was started in Spring, but what the hell. Peace.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
already know how that survey is going to turn out theres nothing new there same things i have been reading for over a year on here.

Government has zero blame wall street is evil and we want our "Free stuff" same thing the current potus campaigned on.

There is not one original thought among that crowd.

Agreed.

Second, great poll Skeptic.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join