It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When do you think the US will hit a depression?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
so when do you guys think the depression will hit us? within how many years from now? try keeping the explanations as simple as possible if you can, thanks.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Dylan201

it is already here...
edit on 7-10-2011 by answerisquestion because: too many words

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
IMO, we already are in a depression, and the government is lying about the true unemployment rate. They keep saying it is around 9%. I think it is already past 20%.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

yep the first stages are already happening
we will probably see the worst of it start before the end of the year, if not next year

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
1978 ?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Most Australian workers "in recession" au.smallbusiness.yahoo.com...

I think you guys are already there,we are heading into it,this time the recession will be depression.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skada
IMO, we already are in a depression, and the government is lying about the true unemployment rate. They keep saying it is around 9%. I think it is already past 20%.

You know that people on welfare and homeless etc. are not counted as "unemployed", right?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I don't believe we will see a full blown depression anytime soon.

But that won't keep the doomsayers from hoping for it.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

There is no rel technical definition of a Economic Depression, hard to say. I think we are in one, but to get the U S to admit is another story.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Can we gauge the amount of "Depression" on the amount of anti-depressants sold?

If not, why?

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Here is some interesting information.

anti-depressant drug market

Depression affects an estimated 121 million people worldwide[2] and the antidepressant drug market reached sales of almost $11 billion in 2008.

The major players in the antidepressant market are Wyeth, Eli Lilly, Forest Laboratories, GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer, and Schering-Plough. Wyeth's Effexor holds the largest market share in the antidepressants market, at 36% ($3.93 billion), while Eli Lilly's Cymbalta grew the fastest, with sales jumping by 29% from $2.1 billion in 2007 to $2.7 billion in 2008.

Tons of information there on this massive industry. And it's growing too.

Also, perhaps we should look at illicit drug use statistics as well, and possibly even binge drinking / alcoholism statistics.

CDC link

Percent of adults 18 years of age and over who were current regular drinkers (at least 12 drinks in the past year): 52%

From a 2009 survey.

cdc link 2

Percent of persons 12 years of age and over with any illicit drug use in the past month: 8.7% (2009)

We shouldn't just look at the financial situation. We should look at the overall situation socio-economically.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
when the Supreme Court rules that Øbama-Care is a legit and legal method of Governance of the masses....

all the 'exemptions' are legal too... so only the dis-enfranchized masses are to be left holding the bag of crud from this extremist president

You wanted 'change'... well the majority got their 'change' in that we are following the Communist China model
for the masses (who used to be a middle class)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

It's here. The reason you are not seeing it is because all the terms have been changed and the lines have disappeared. By handing out all the EBT/Foodstamps cards they have eliminated the bread lines and soup kitchen lines, the lines for jobs have been eliminated by the internet. The Jobless Index is caressed by only considering the folks "currently" on unemployment benefits, not the most desperate, who have run out. Government spending has been used ostensibly to help the problem, but has only made the problem much worse. The big banks are eating the little ones just as before, and the real movers and shakers on Wall Street have not missed a beat on their personal income.

It is here!

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I think that we have reached a new set point in our economy.

During the construction boom, we had a high level of employment for construction people. That need has diminished and I don't see it returning anytime soon.

This is the new reality.

Figure out what you need to do to earn a living and then do it.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I don't believe we will see a full blown depression anytime soon. But that won't keep the doomsayers from hoping for it.

I think the 45+ million US residents relying on the government to eat may disagree with you. One huge difference today is the soup line has been replaced by the food stamp credit card. I think if you saw these people lined up at the soup kitchen rather than seeing them in line at the grocery store would open a lot of peoples eyes to what state this economy is currently in.

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
About three years ago.

Ain't bottomed out yet, neither.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I think it wont be for some time maybe over another year....I doubt this one is gunna hit us like the first one... we will continue this steady decline with some people keeping confidence in the markets because of cooked govt numbers and belief in these bailouts and what not

new topics

top topics

join