It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helicopter Crashes In NYC East River

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Helicopter Crashes In NYC East River

A helicopter believed to have five people aboard crashed into the East River in Manhattan this afternoon.

The helicopter hit the water and submerged rapidly, authorities said. It was not visible above water during rescue operations.

Three people have reportedly been pulled ashore.

Finally found link

edit on 4-10-2011 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/4/2011 by tothetenthpower because: Replaced-Mod Error

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Helicopter crashes in New York City's East River. Breaking now on live MSNBC. No links yet. They don't know if it was trying to take off or land. It sounds like five people were on board, identities not known. Three to four of the people survived. Possibly a Bell 407. Will keep updated.

edit - ABC finally posted something. Link below.

Link

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
You can watch live coverage of this here:

www.cnn.com...#/video/cvplive/cvpstream4" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">CNN

although there is no audio
edit on 4-10-2011 by WhoDat09 because: fix link

OK so the link won't fix anyway here it is

www.cnn.com...#/video/cvplive/cvpstream4
edit on 4-10-2011 by WhoDat09 because: (no reason given)

newyork.cbslocal.com...

another live video with audio
edit on 4-10-2011 by WhoDat09 because: add link

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Video Source

Breaking News Feed

A few more sources.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

That last bit that says they were bloated...WHY were they already bloated???? How long ago did the helicopter crash before the rescue effort started - were they already dead before the crash occurred (a cover-up)? Who were the people? What kind of helicopter was it (i.e. News? Tour? Medical?) - so many questions...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
awww

happens every now and then in the Hudson

n elsywheres

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It was a Bell 206. Five people on board. Pilot and 3 passengers rescued. 2 injured. A woman passenger is still missing.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

Really? The last helicopter crash we had here in Phoenix, as far as I know, was when two news helicopters collided over a park downtown while trying to help the police with a high speed chase. Not common at all...

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Ah, maybe there was no bloating then. Newsies jumping the gun with their reporting again?

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The latest I've heard is that there were 5 people, 1 of whom may or may not be accounted for yet. Reports are still varying.

I find the bloating comment to be nearly impossible to believe.

The 34th Street Heliport is staffed by multiple police units 24/7 in addition to being right next to one of the busiest roadways in New York City - the FDR Drive. That stretch of land is also home to numerous apartment buildings, including some over 50 stories high, and dozens of office buildings. The UN sits about half a mile up the river.

Trust me, when a helicopter misses the pad and hits the water at that heliport, people are responding within seconds. I find it difficult to believe that anyone would be in the water long enough to experience such an effect besides the 1 unaccounted for person who sadly might have gone underwater.

The river has extremely rough waters, so I hope no one really did go under. NYPD Harbor patrol is very well trained but that's no easy task. Pretty much zero visibility and an incredibly strong current.

Hopefully everyone will pull through.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar
reply to post by Cuervo

That last bit that says they were bloated...WHY were they already bloated????

Because they're Americans

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

Crash just happened. Forget accuracy. If you hear it get it on the air. Kind of like 9-11.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar
reply to post by Cuervo

That last bit that says they were bloated...WHY were they already bloated???? How long ago did the helicopter crash before the rescue effort started - were they already dead before the crash occurred (a cover-up)? Who were the people? What kind of helicopter was it (i.e. News? Tour? Medical?) - so many questions...

Nothing about bloating that I heard, all I heard and have read was the discussion of whether the helicopter had FLOATS. And that if it had FLOATS it would be FLOATING, even if it was upside down.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

You have a point there. There used to be a requirement for these helos to have inflatable floats. I wonder when that requirement was lifted?

From what I have been hearing, it sounds like it lost tail rotor authority just after takeoff. When I was watching the rescue video I saw several birds around the area. I would hazard a guess of a bird strike on the tail rotor.
edit on 4-10-2011 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

It was in the last paragraph of the news story, when the thread first started, but they have updated the story now and I don't see it there anymore. I think they were getting ahead of themselves and overblowing it, initially. Fingers crossed for the missing person!

new topics

top topics

join