It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SM-III 'LEAP' - Navy Theater Ballistic Missile Defense Warhead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 08:22 AM
link   

SM-3 Lightweight Exo-Atmospheric Projectile Kinetic Warhead: Bringing Navy Theater Ballistic Missile Defense to Reality.

Navy Theater Wide (NTW)
The United States Navy is developing STANDARD Missile-3 (SM-3) as part of the Navy Theater Wide (NTW) system that will provide allied forces and U.S. protection from theater ballistic missiles. The SM-3 Lightweight Exo-Atmospheric Projectile (LEAP) Kinetic Warhead (KW) is designed to intercept an incoming theater ballistic missile outside the earth�s atmosphere. SM-3 is under development by Raytheon at its Missile Systems business unit in Tucson, Arizona. The NTW system builds upon the Strategic Defense Initiative Organization/Ballistic Missile Defense Organization (SDIO/BMDO) investment in LEAP technology, the Navy's STANDARD Missile and existing infrastructure, and includes the current and future fleet of AEGIS cruisers and destroyers. The maturity of these system elements make NTW the most viable contingency deployment capability available.

SM-3 Kinetic Warhead
The SM-3 LEAP KW is a highly modular, compact, space tested kinetic warhead designed to defend against medium and long-range ballistic missile attacks. Raytheon has engineered two prior generations of LEAP designs starting in 1985 under contracts with SDIO and BMDO. This third generation LEAP design integrates the teamed experience of Raytheon and Boeing in KW vehicle designs and Alliant Techsystems� expertise in Solid Divert and Attitude Control (SDACS).

SM-III LEAP

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   
mad scientist, you desserve really your nickname.You're a real mad scientist.

As usual, a good topic.

posted on Apr, 7 2003 @ 08:14 PM
link   
mad u nvr cease to amaze me with your finds what ur secret champ??

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 11:31 PM
link   
mad u nvr cease to amaze me with your finds what ur secret champ??

Many furustrating nights on the net althoug I've been busier at work lately.

Anyway, I found some more information on LEAP

The LEAP uses a FLIR (Forward-Looking Infrared) sensor to locate its target, and was tested in a 4-flight series called Terrier/LEAP from 1992 to 1995. These tests used modified Terrier and Standard SM-2 missiles. Two intercepts were attempted during these tests, but the LEAP failed to hit the target in both cases. The first flight-test of an RIM-161A SM-3 missile occurred in September 1999, and the third test (in January 2001) demonstrated successful missile flight and control up to fourth stage (i.e. kinetic warhead) separation. In January 2002, the first all-up test of an RIM-161A succeeded in hitting an Aries ballistic target missile. Testing of the basic SM-3 and ALI system capabilities will continue through 2003, and flight tests against more realistic targets are currently planned to begin in late 2003. The successful test shot in November 2002 was the first of a planned six-flight series to develop an emergency deployment capability for the SM-3.

Click Here for this SM-3 page

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 11:12 AM
link   

posted on May, 14 2003 @ 09:11 AM
link   
It hasn't had the best press in the world, Mad-S (I've been watching it with half an eye for a while).
Mind you - there's usually something fishy when Raytheon's involved.
For an interesting review of some of these fabbo-dabbo weapons, cyber-chums try:
www.clw.org...

posted on May, 15 2003 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Thanks for the link Estragon
, very intersting.

new topics

top topics

join