It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a review......"Killer Elite"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I might have liked this movie if I could have understood the dialog. They spoke in heavily accented Brit speak with idioms that I didn't understand. I could understand Robert DeNiro ok; probably the only reason I went to see this flick.
This was a convoluted story with a weak script of what I could understand, the macho characterization taken a little to far as to become trite, On thing that always puts me off is when a fight scene takes place and the combatants should be blood soaked and mangled, but oddly enough barely a scratch.

The twists and turns of the story was about the only thing I found interesting about this movie. Just another run of the mill thriller, relying on fights, shootin, car chases, violence, profanity and hardass characters to appeal to the adolescent in all of us.

mostly......

edit on 3-10-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
No offense, but this is a pretty bad review.

Even a quick summary of the plot (no spoilers, of course) would help give people a much better idea of what you're talking about...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyTots

Even a quick summary of the plot (no spoilers, of course) would help give people a much better idea of what you're talking about...

No offense taken... the only offense I take is being charged almost 30 bucks [w/popcorn and a coke] to take my date and myself to see a crappy movie. However at some movie houses, I get a SAG/AFTRA discount.

This is purely my opinion after seeing the film. I assume most people will see the trailer at some point or read a local review in the paper and get an idea of what the movie is about.; this is just My subjective impression....

Feel free to write your own review or comment after you see the movie.

edit on 3-10-2011 by whaaa because: f5f

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TurkeyTots

He was giving his honest views on the movie as a whole. The plot, which he correctly described in about six words as an action movie, is really not important.. I've seen the theater preview and his opinion matches my mine entirely.

That said, some of us older folks don't hear too well, with the fast dialogue that is so evident today on TV and in movies. We miss a lot. Throw in strong accents of the lower-class English, and we sometimes wonder what we saw.

Another problem is that the plots are becoming more convoluted. So you might find a complicated plot being explained as the heros run away from a helicopter trying to machinegun them or something similar. An excellent example is couple of months ago I walked out on the movie about getting into people's dreams and changing their apparent reality. The visual effects looked neat, but the early explanations of the who and what flew beyond my kin. One of the hazards of getting older and less alert, I guess.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I might have liked this movie if I could have understood the dialog. They spoke in heavily accented Brit speak with idioms that I didn't understand. I could understand Robert DeNiro ok; probably the only reason I went to see this flick.

Read an Irvine Welsh book to help in the future understanding that crazy accent..
Once I digested Trainspotting a while back, the idioms and accents were a little easier to grasp...thanks for the thoughts on the flick and yeah, $30 bucks for a well shot commerical is not worth it...

CJ

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I thought it was good.

Its a action/shoot em up with a hint of transporter mixed in, having said that the acting is what you would expect from a Statham movie, little dramatic dialog, mostly CQC done quit well, Clive is also good in it, De Niro is good, although I personally wish he had more scenes, but you can understand he probably can't do the physical scenes that Jason and Clive can.
The level of tactical knowledge is good (ie, weapons, how they hold weapons, level of tactical realism) usually my favorite movies have tactical situations that are feasible and practical while still being in the realm of doable while still making it entertaining.....for me this movie does that

Story line is simple to understand with scenes that have twists, but the action is what the bread and butter of this movie is, and by the end you will be wondering how the main character is going to continually get himself out of being cornered with his back to the wall time and time again.

POSSIBLE STORYLINE SPOILER FOR PEOPLE THAT LIKE SEEING IT COMPLETELY FRESH

Summary
Basically Killer Elite is just that a movie dealing with an elite circle of killers highly trained, to a level of being a smart well thought out killing machine, that always has options because of said skill sets.

Statham is a highly trained killing machine that gets forced into going up against a cast of characters including middle eastern oil rich types looking to send a message as well as going up against an almost endless stream of SAS agents, personal bodyguards, and military types as one last hoar-ah checklist of assassinations, while also trying to separate himself from that part of his life he clearly wants out from but, unfortunately it is not done with him

edit on 3-10-2011 by all answers exist because: spelling

edit on 3-10-2011 by all answers exist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It is, once again, a remake. Of an old movie with James Caan that was awesome. All they can do anymore are remakes, sequels and prequels, or turn comic books, old TV shows, and video games into "blockbusters". I should go to Hollywood and be a screenwriter, because apparently no one has had an original thought in ten years or so.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Jason has that kind of gravel voice, and Clive's accent is a bit much, in any of their movies, so yeah, I can see where that may be a problem. These movies though, are all about the action and ridiculous fight scenes. I'm sure it delivered on that front. I'll see it, but on DVD when it hits.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Big Jason Statham fan but the only movie I've paid to see him in at the cinema was The Expendables, usually I wait until they're on tv.

Haven't been that impressed with the few trailers I've seen on tv but then again, I didn't like The Transporter until I actually sat down and watched it so who knows.

Only liked Clive Owen so far in Shoot Em Up, Children Of Men and Inside Man but depending how this movie is, could be another addition to my list of movies I like him in.

Funnily enough, being English I can understand everything they say because they speak perfect English themselves, I mostly hate movies set in or starring a Scottish actor or actress with a strong accent (didn't mind Brad Pitt's accent in Snatch because he was meant to be a gypsy/pikey/traveler and they always talk in an Irish accent that's really hard to understand so he got it spot on there)

I guess the OP isn't a big fan of these kinds of movies and takes advantage of his card to see movies with a little discount as anyone else would cause I admit, if I was him I'd see movies I wouldn't normally go and see for that reason too. Wasn't the kind of review I'd expect because it didn't seem too balanced but if he hated it then can't be helped.

Thanks to the other member though who helpfully gave the plotline even with a little spoiler so others could understand what it might be about before seeing it. Sounds kinda like the Crank movies anyway or the old action movies I love from the 80s where you know (or believe) the hero will win anyway, the journey is getting there to the conclusion.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
It is, once again, a remake. Of an old movie with James Caan that was awesome. All they can do anymore are remakes, sequels and prequels, or turn comic books, old TV shows, and video games into "blockbusters". I should go to Hollywood and be a screenwriter, because apparently no one has had an original thought in ten years or so.

You don't need to go to Hollywood to write screenplays/scripts. If you have a story to tell; use what I use for preproduction.

celtx.com...

I have a small production company and am always looking for new stuff. The indy world is wide open with streaming video via the www. It's huge..... Let's make a movie!!!!

edit on 3-10-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos

Um, it's not actually. It just has the same title. I thought the same thing. This movie is based on a book released in 1991.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Irvine Welsh books are "spoken" in Scottish. I don't think that'll help with cockney very much.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Irvine Welsh books are "spoken" in Scottish. I don't think that'll help with cockney very much.

I know. It's sort of a primer...an intro if you will...helped me with most Brit/Irish/Traveller accents - still have to strain and sometimes watch twice admittedly.

CJ

top topics

join