It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New "Pan Am" TV Series, Is A Copy Cat Rip Off, Of The 1963 Movie -"Come Fly With Me"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
i just wanted to give credit where credit is do.because what's sold to the public as being a new and special show or movie,usually is'nt new and special at all. but just a copy and a rip off of an older show or movie,that's usually never mentioned as being the original inspiration that it is...

the same thing goes for the brand new tv series "pan am" which premiered septembert,25th 2011...screenrant.com...

though you'll hardly ever hear it mentioned as a fact from the fantasy world of hollywood. but back in reality, "pan am" is nothing more than a copy of this far superior 1963 movie, "come fly with me"...laurasmiscmusings.blogspot.com...

cant musicians,movie makers and tv show producers think of anything original anymore??? i guess not...
edit on 2-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

So, your claim is that because there was a movie about an airline, the recent television also about airlines must be ripping it off?

Also, your wiki link is not correct.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
i corrected my links

pan am-2011 and come fly with me-1963 are virtually identical.except for the fact that the ,come fly with me, movie was made 48 years earlier!

the pan am tv series producers and i'm sure there are like 10 of them,probably thought that the 1963 movie was old enough to be conveinently forgotten and that no one would reconize or remember the older movie that "it copies"...well i do

what the heck... pan am even rips off this jerry lewis movie! boeing,boeing-1965 > www.imdb.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Come Fly with Me is a 1963 comedy film about three beautiful international airline stewardesses looking for romance and excitement. The film has dramatic or soap opera elements to it, and was a vehicle for glamorizing the jet age and the prestige, adventure and romance that came with being a stewardess....wiki quote.

"sound familiar" ??? >>> pan am -2011 tv series,is the same thing! and it's a rip off...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I see. Can you list some of these obvious similarities that make you think its a rip off?

That would be most informative.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

and ?

no seriously

you have identified that tropes are finite in number - and are re-used

PS - why has it taken you so long to figure it out - and why do you single out " pan am " ?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
as you can see and compare in the first two links..."pan am"-2011 tv series, even uses the same add/poster art as "come fly with me"-1963

what happened to originality?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ARealandTrueAmerican
reply to post by blocula

I see. Can you list some of these obvious similarities that make you think its a rip off?

That would be most informative.
for crying out loud, the similarities are in the first 2 links! dont you even read them?

and the following quote is from wiki/film...

Come Fly with Me is a 1963 comedy film about three beautiful international airline stewardesses looking for romance and excitement. The film has dramatic or soap opera elements to it, and was a vehicle for glamorizing the jet age and the prestige, adventure and romance that came with being a stewardess....wiki quote.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
cant musicians, movie makers and tv show producers think of anything original anymore???... i guess not..."real talent" is a dying breed...

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

They don't care if we've "forgotten" about something...(producers).

Heck, they're already rebooting Spider Man, Superman, etc., and look how many 80's things were so recently rebooted (Transformers, GI Joe, Clash of the Titans, etc.)....

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
i'm sure the producers of,pan am,are well aware of the 1960's movies that they copy and rip off and they are also aware that they can get away with "selling their tv series' as being something new...well it's not...but because most of us will have forgotten about the older films...they get away with it and make a $$$ killing...

of all the "thousands" of different positions and jobs,that the women in their their new tv series,set in the 1960's, could have been based on and doing.they have to go ahead and copy "stewardesses" from "come fly with me"-1963 and "boeing boeing"-1965

instead of creating something new and original...which seems to be a very difficult thing to do these days...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I haven't seen "Pan Am" or "Come Fly With Me," but I think you're over reacting.

Here are the similarities:
-The 1960s
-Airplanes
-Female leads who play stewardesses

Your main reasoning that it must be a rip off is that it takes place inside the airplane industry. That's not copying. Airplanes are a thing, neither "Come Fly With Me" or "Boeing, Boeing" invented them. They set the show in the '60s for the same reason that Mad Men is set in the sixties. It's not that far away, there were a lot of social changes going on and a lot of industries were booming and/or changing. The characters are also stewardesses. So, no piece of media can ever be about stewardesses again? There should only be one movie about cops or soldiers, astronauts, presidents, truck drivers or any of the hundreds of thousands of professions we've seen used in movies time and time again.

"Come Fly With Me" doesn't own the concept of stewardesses. Nor do they own the concepts of romance, excitement or drama. The posters the same? Both have women standing more or less in a line. How do you want them to advertise their show? Show a plane? That doesn't make sense. If you're making a show about stewardesses in the 60s you're going to show: the women themselves because men will want to watch a show with attractive women, them in their uniforms so the viewer gets a sense of time and place and you'll show them holding bags so people get a sense of travel and don't think they're elevator operators or something.

Pan Am sounds like it'd be an easy show to write and an appealing show to produce. There's bound to be a lot of dealing with sexism and racism, tons of romance between attractive people and the drama that comes with romance, you can to have them travel to exotic places. That's why they made it.

I'm not saying it's not possible that the creators saw "Come Fly With Me" and thought, "Hey, stewardesses, that'd be a good show." But that doesn't make it a rip off. It's also just as likely that they watched "Mad Men" and thought, "Hey, the '60s. What would this be like from a woman's point of view?"

It doesn't sound like the two share any plot lines aside from that there's romance. The synopsis says "Pan Am" has a plot line about one of the ladies working for the government, doing spy business. The Bay of Pigs is mentioned. It sounds really different. Plus, this is a network television show. The ideal is that there will be 22-24 episodes a season. That's 24 hours of writing. Even if "Pan Am" first two episodes were pulled directly from "Come Fly With Me," they'd quickly have to come up with new stuff.

A lot of media gets recycled. It happens, it's always happened. Before Hollywood and television. Joseph Campbell wrote a book about it. There's not much new under the sun, which is why people play the variations and some people do it very skillfully. But "Pan Am" vs "Come Fly With Me" looks like an awful example of something being ripped off, because there's so much difference aside from the core concept which you only look at as a rip off because unlike movies/show about cops and soldiers there's not a lot of stuff about stewardesses.
edit on 10/3/2011 by SaulGoodman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
i dont think i'm over reacting when the stars and producers rake in millions of dollars,"with product advertisements" off of a tv series that they claim as new and original...when it's not...

and for what its worth,come fly with me-1963 and boeing boeing-1965,are good movies...and very "original"

originality is a dying breed...copying and ripping off ...is alive and flourishing...

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Your main reasoning that it must be a rip off is that it takes place inside the airplane industry. That's not copying

of all the "hundreds of occupations" that they could have used for this new tv series set in the 1960's,they just had no other choice, but to have the stars be stewardesses? and style the plot line and story theme exactly like the movie "come fly with me"-1965....hmmmmm?...coincidence?...no way... a casual rip off is what it is...

come fly with me-1963 > www.youtube.com...
edit on 3-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
the new 2011 "pan am" tv series takes place in 1963...

exactly the same year that "come fly with me"-1963 takes place!....

another coincidence?....no

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I can tell you exactly why they chose 1963:
The Civil Rights movement was in full swing.
Kennedy gets assassinated
A Pan Am flight gets hit by lightning and 81 people die.

Now, if you were going to set your '60s airplane drama in ANY year in the '60s, you would go for 1963 for those three reasons. Again, they're making the show about stewardesses because back then stewardesses were expected to be attractive (good for television), were probably sexually harassed a lot and expected to behave a certain way (good for drama) and they traveled to a lot of different places (good for variety). It's a somewhat glamorous job that's changed a lot (unlike say, secretaries) that allows plot lines to go all over the world. That's probably exactly why the guy who wrote the novel "Come Fly With Me" was based on wrote the novel about stewardesses.

And the plots of "Come Fly With Me" and "Pan Am" ARE NOT AT ALL SIMILAR.Here are the synopsis of Pan Am episodes. "Come Fly With Me" is about three women falling in love. They seem really different.

I understand that you like "Come Fly With Me" and "Boeing Boeing." I'm sure they're good movies, but I doubt they're as original as you think they are. Unoriginality didn't just start happening. People have been overlapping ideas since stories started being told. Movies were being made for over 40 years before "Come Fly With Me" I'm sure there have been plenty of movies about three women falling in love. I'm sure the specifics have been seen before. Just because the movies that came before weren't about stewardesses doesn't make it original.

Finally, when people say "Pan Am" is new and original, they're mostly saying the show hasn't been on television before. It's hasn't run previously on whatever network it's on. No one is looking at "Pan Am" and saying, 'Oh my god, look at this brave and creatively unique show!" The first thing I heard about "Pan Am" was that it was trying to cash in on "Mad Men." Also, both of those movies are based on books. Taking something from a book and making a movie out of it doesn't make it original, even if you get acknowledge the author, it's still taking from something else.

There are a ton of shows that are more derivative than "Pan Am." Basically every family sitcom with a male lead has been eating the tail of what came before it for 50 years. I don't really care about "Pan Am," I'm never going to watch it. You should just do the same thing and not be so bothered by the fact that multiple things in the visual media have been about stewardesses, which is the only strong similarity.

edit on 10/3/2011 by SaulGoodman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
the kennedy assasination has nothing to do with "come fly with me"-1963...he was killed 8 months after the movie was released...

todays music and movie industry is living off of copying and ripping off what was already done before..we are quickly loosing our ability to create originality and its all about cashing in $$$ based off of what someone else already did. what will we see down the road?...harry potter part 17 !!! thats greedy insanity! and a total lack of artistic creativity and originality...

and of all the many occupations that "pan am"could have used for it's leading stars.they just had no other choice but to use airline stewardesses, exactly like "come fly with me" and have it set in 1963,exactly the same year as "come fly with me"-1963...come on!...

the producers of "pan am" know damn well that they can push and sell their tv series, that first aired sept. 25th, 2011, as being something new and original, when they already know it's not. because they realize that most people have very short memories...and will have forgotten about the movie "come fly with me"-1963...but i'll unbury it from our memories and keep it alive...n.y.times movie review from 1963 > movies.nytimes.com...

edit on 4-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
this movie,from 1963, is very "original and likeable",but it also gives off an aura of sadness,when you look around today and see how the world is now...heres the turner classic movies overview of "come fly with me"-1963 > "In many ways, Come Fly with Me offers a collection of tantalizing bits, which adds to its cult status"... www.tcm.com...
edit on 4-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join