It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Australia - Coming To A City Near You

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
With the ever increasing awareness and popularity of Occupy Wall Street, Australia has decided to undertake the protest as well. Occupy Australia is being held in Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide and Perth on October 15th.

It is time for Australia to join the global movement that has seen non-violent mass protests and uprising against both military dictators and the dictators of capital in Greece, Yemen, Chile, Egypt, Tunisia, Israel, USA, Spain, Portugal, Libya, Syria, Bahrain, the UK and beyond. It’s time for us to unite. It’s time for them to listen.

This is a country where a few multi-national mining companies orchestrated the sacking of a serving Prime Minister to avoid the paying a mining tax. BHP recently announced a profit of $22 billion dollars.

•This is a country where our climate change policy includes compensating the worst and biggest corporate polluters billions of dollars.

•This is a country where the cost of housing is out of reach for so many people in both the rental and private markets, whilst large developers, banks and speculators make billions in profits.

•This is a country where the cost of living continues to rise as people pay more and more for their basic utilities as private corporations rake in profits in the electricity, gas and telecommunications sectors.

•This is a country where the suppression of workers rights continues under both the Federal ALP and Coalition and where wages for ordinary people continue to stagnate

What do you guys/girls think? Do you reckon that anything will result in the global campaign of Occupy Wall Street?

Source: www.indymedia.org.au...
edit on 2-10-2011 by daaskapital because: ETA

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I live in the outer suburbs of brisbane haha, I'll go down and get pictures for everyone.
Doubt it would be as big as the Sydney one?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
Do you reckon that anything will result in the global campaign of Occupy Wall Street?

This is just me, I don't expect many to agree with me. I feel as if this is becoming Us and Them.
Literally to the point it feels like we are setting ourselves up for a massive insurgency.
I know most don't want to hear that rhetoric, and trust me, I don't either, but we've been at war now for a decade.
And I can only see it spiraling out of control further then it already is with Western nations beginning to slide into war.
It has the very real potential to become violent like it did in Libya etc....
That was American government fueled, who is to say that Russian gangs and Chinese hackers couldn't be fueling the same within America? Or even Russian/Chinese gov't?

Where does the line get drawn for the State?
When they have so many people in so many different countries opposing their agenda, will they declare war on us all?

A war in America is one of the biggest threats I could imagine.
it certainly is setting itself up for one. One mass group of people with guns willing to fight and die for a corrupt dying Republic turned Empire, and another mass group of Angry, dedicated justified people with guns willing to fight and die for their freedom to restore the Republic.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
......... And what exactly will the protest be about. What will be the agenda, what will the protect be demanding as an outcome of the protest.

Will the agenda include a demand that the government extend the GST to share trading on an upward sliding scale, i.e that trades over $100,000 attract the highest rate of tax.

Will the agenda include a demand for bill of rights for individuals and not corporations.

For any such protest to be successful there must be specific demands that can be communicated in a narrow focused way.

Any more than 3 demands is too many.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Be interesting to see how much momentum this gains,Globally we need to destroy the banks.
Yep iam up for it.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
The only thing that will happen if it gets too hot for the guys at wall st. and their masters, is that they will turn the heat up on us. I think the scenes of protesters being mistreated and killed in the ME will pale into comparison, and unlike the ME, I don't think anyone will come to help us due to the evils we have allowed our leaders to do around the world.

People forget we are fighting against the people who are paying for the resource theft wars around the globe. They have the gold, they make the rules. They have access to all sorts of technology and weapons they can use against us. They have access to whatever they want. If they are killing people in other nations to get rich, what makes you think they wont kill us if we get in a position to take their wealth away?

Personally I think WW3 will be us vs them, and it wont end well for us. History shows this has happened before. The elite now are the same bloodlines of the elite from previous civilisations.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by bussoboy
......... And what exactly will the protest be about. What will be the agenda, what will the protect be demanding as an outcome of the protest.

Will the agenda include a demand that the government extend the GST to share trading on an upward sliding scale, i.e that trades over $100,000 attract the highest rate of tax.

Will the agenda include a demand for bill of rights for individuals and not corporations.

For any such protest to be successful there must be specific demands that can be communicated in a narrow focused way.

Any more than 3 demands is too many.

It'll be ferrels and hippies, bussed in from townsville and who don't have a clue - but will still cause havoc despite their inability to comprehend the issues.

Seriously, that is all it ever is in Aus...

Kinda makes Islamic Rage boy (google if you dont know) look like the bastion of hope for change in the world..

Im all for this, but not the way it will be done here, then again perhaps I am jaded from the previous years where people without a clue scream slogans and block traffic, but on being questioned, appear as dull as rabbits caught in headlights.
edit on 2/10/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: lol townsworth... where my brains are?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
What are they going to protest about.
Sack the red headed witch, slap Swanny the incompetent treasurer about the head, Yeah fine.
This is inane and pointless, Australia is not as completely out of hand as the US, yet.
Our problem is the incompetence of the Government, go stand on the steps of Parliament House.
This is just stupid.The 12 people who show up are going to look foolish.
If you want to protest, protest something relevant to Australia.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Do you reckon that anything will result in the global campaign of Occupy Wall Street?

This is just me, I don't expect many to agree with me. I feel as if this is becoming Us and Them.
Literally to the point it feels like we are setting ourselves up for a massive insurgency.
I know most don't want to hear that rhetoric, and trust me, I don't either, but we've been at war now for a decade.
And I can only see it spiraling out of control further then it already is with Western nations beginning to slide into war.
It has the very real potential to become violent like it did in Libya etc....
That was American government fueled, who is to say that Russian gangs and Chinese hackers couldn't be fueling the same within America? Or even Russian/Chinese gov't?

Where does the line get drawn for the State?
When they have so many people in so many different countries opposing their agenda, will they declare war on us all?

A war in America is one of the biggest threats I could imagine.
it certainly is setting itself up for one. One mass group of people with guns willing to fight and die for a corrupt dying Republic turned Empire, and another mass group of Angry, dedicated justified people with guns willing to fight and die for their freedom to restore the Republic.

I think that the Western World may very well be on the verge of civil war. There is one problem for Australia though, guns are banned.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Personally though, if i were the head of Occupy Australia, i would have chosen Canberra as the main place to protest, right at the front of the Parliament House. That would definitely get their attention.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Personally though, if i were the head of Occupy Australia, i would have chosen Canberra as the main place to protest, right at the front of the Parliament House. That would definitely get their attention.

Do you remember Tent Embassy?

And the Aborigines have a valid cause, yet..

You mistake the given freedoms and rights of the US with the implied and often non-existent freedoms and rights that we assume.

Often it is assumed we have the right to free speech, but as a right protected by our convoluted and twisted constitution, we do not.

So many assumed rights... so many laws we are unaware of...

edit on 2/10/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: urgh city/embassy lol

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by boony

The bankers own and run Australia,the party voted in by the people is merely a management team.
Destroy the banks.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bussoboy

Personally I am sick of the high taxes, the double/triple dipping the government does on my earnings, and the unfair taxing.

Flood levy Tax is one of the worst I have heard of, but there are probably more if I dig. The Flood Levy Taxes all the tax paying locals but doesn't tax the big corporations like Wolly's/Safeway and Coles. So, you've got the local Butcher or Baker pasing this tax but the Woolworths or Coles next door isn't.

Carbon Tax is going to hurt us so badly because there is nothing stopping the utilities from passing this on to the customer. Nor does it stop Industry from passing this on to their customers. This tax put in place by our (NOT)Chosen Prime Minister and her overlord, The Greens, who put her in power.

........We need to do something before we are all scraping to keep a roof over our head.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I walk past the BHP headquarters a few times I week. This better not interfere with my day else I'm going to be pissed. I'll try to grab some photos.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

I think that the Western World may very well be on the verge of civil war. There is one problem for Australia though, guns are banned.

Only for the gullible and compliant,those that did not see this comming with the agenda.Those who's good will is taken advantage of by traitor's.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by bussoboy

Personally I am sick of the high taxes, the double/triple dipping the government does on my earnings, and the unfair taxing.

Flood levy Tax is one of the worst I have heard of, but there are probably more if I dig. The Flood Levy Taxes all the tax paying locals but doesn't tax the big corporations like Wolly's/Safeway and Coles. So, you've got the local Butcher or Baker pasing this tax but the Woolworths or Coles next door isn't.

Carbon Tax is going to hurt us so badly because there is nothing stopping the utilities from passing this on to the customer. Nor does it stop Industry from passing this on to their customers. This tax put in place by our (NOT)Chosen Prime Minister and her overlord, The Greens, who put her in power.

........We need to do something before we are all scraping to keep a roof over our head.

Damn right mate. The amount of taxes that are passing is phenomenal. Sooner or later, Australia is going to be destroyed by the greedy pigs in power.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Ok it's a good idea but there's different factors to the U.S.

The average Australian still has more personal wealth than say the average American.( but for the first time in our history the wealth gap is starting to widen)

Yes it's getting harder to buy a home but it's not that out of reach (yet)

Australia isn't in as bad a shape as other countries so the motivation might not be there for people it might be to soon.( Though it is on its way)

I say it's a good idea but the protest will be hijacked by hippies and drop outs with no real idea as to what it's really about and the silent voter will see this and think that if those tools are protesting against it than it can't be a bad thing.

I truly think the best thing to do is start a facebook page and aim for a target of 1 million people. That way the silent voters hears about it and goes and has a look and joins. Then the media get hold of it and more people go and look and join and the politicians do take note of that.

edit on 2-10-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

I agree, i think in the end, the laid back, no care attitude of the average Aussie will over-run the protestors, and they may very well go home and not return the next day.

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

That's the fluoride speaking.
edit on 2-10-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by daaskapital

That's the fluoride speaking.
edit on 2-10-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)
no doubt about that mate.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join