It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Else Is Fed Up And Disgusted With Both Political Parties in a Rigid 2 - Party System?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
In 1976 I thought that both major party candidates were equally undesirable, and since none of the third-party candidates had a ghost of a chance at winning, I made it a point not to vote at all.

Jimmy Carter is a fine, intelligent man, but he made a very poor President. IF I HAD VOTED I probably would have voted for Ford, so ever since then I have made it a point to vote in all elections of any importance.

The problem is, I always find myself voting for the lesser of two evils just to keep the worst idiot OUT of office rather than voting FOR someone that I truly believe is the best person for the job.

As a result, I vote EITHER Republican or Democrat, depending on who the candidates are, just to keep the worse of the 2 out, and I'm heartily sick of it.

Am I alone? Or is this a widespread phenomena? I would like to see a true multi-party system in the US, as exists in a number of European countries. We have such a diverse population here that I simply don't understand why we only have a real choice between the candidates of two parties which loathe and despise each other in such a poisoned atmosphere.

Why do we tolerate this situation? Are Americans really just a bunch of "Sheeple" doomed to be slaves to political hacks?

HINT: Registering as an "Independent" and then voting for 1 of the 2 major parties doesn't get you off the hook.........the real question is WHY DO WE NOT HAVE REAL CHOICE WHEN WE VOTE? And.........WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT IT? And...........WHY AREN'T WE DOING IT?

As it stands now, I'm walking into a voting booth in November and holding my nose as I pull the lever.

Thoughts?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I'm sick of our current system too. I just try to vote for the most competent person possible who doesn't want to impose his or her moral code on the rest of us.

We don't really have a choice anymore but at the same time not one, credible third party has come along yet imo to truly shake things up. They are either too focused on one area (The Green Party), run by lying hypocrits or both (Ralph Nader).

I honestly feel that if the divisions regarding social and moral issues weren't so strong in this country we would have a much easier time creating or supporting a third, fourth, etc. party. Both the Democratic and Republican party are keenly aware of these divisions and exploit them to garner a large base of support.

Outside of issues such as gun control, abortion, seperation of church and state, etc. the only thing most people care about is whether their taxes are going to be raised.

Ultimately it will take a more active electorate to instill true change in our political process and I just don't see that happening with all the distractions Americans have at their disposal now. We shall see.

[edit on 26-8-2004 by Weller]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Somehow America has got herself in a downward spiral of "pick the best of the evil people". Then some third party candidates come along to try and change the system but usually end up being wack jobs like Michael Peroutka who claim to support the Constitution, but believe in everything the Constitution was against. People are suffering from apathy, and don't seem to care who the President is as long as they are somehow rewarded. The issues don't seem to matter much, and people don't want to take the time to research how a particular candidate has voted or what his/her stances are on issues.

Somehow our country has slipped through a never ending downward spiral, that one could say started with the birth of the American Industrial Revolution.

Sadly, and I hate to say this, I feel it's come to the point where NOT voting is more patriotic and symbolic of one's attitudes than voting for one of the "evils". Sadly, there are usually two evils.....in the form of the Democrats and Republicans!

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Somehow America has got herself in a downward spiral of "pick the best of the evil people". Then some third party candidates come along to try and change the system but usually end up being wack jobs like Michael Peroutka who claim to support the Constitution, but believe in everything the Constitution was against. People are suffering from apathy, and don't seem to care who the President is as long as they are somehow rewarded. The issues don't seem to matter much, and people don't want to take the time to research how a particular candidate has voted or what his/her stances are on issues.

Somehow our country has slipped through a never ending downward spiral, that one could say started with the birth of the American Industrial Revolution.

Sadly, and I hate to say this, I feel it's come to the point where NOT voting is more patriotic and symbolic of one's attitudes than voting for one of the "evils". Sadly, there are usually two evils.....in the form of the Democrats and Republicans!

I disagree with your last point regarding not voting, but otherwise you are absolutely, positively, without a doubt, 100% right.

I have always enjoyed your posts, you always seem to have a similar opinion as me but if not you always display an incredible ability to express it intelligently.

[edit on 26-8-2004 by Weller]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
The 2 party system is awful and must be changed.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
My first election was '88, and I voted for Pappy Bush. I voted for him because I supported and believed in Ronald Regan. I was hoping and assuming that he would continue with Regan's policies.

But that was the last time I voted for a "major" party candidate. I was converted to a believer in a multi party system around '91.

Ever since then I have made a point of voting in every single election. And I have made a point of voting for candidates from parties other then the Big 2. I vote in EVERY election. I vote at the midterms. I vote in the small local elections. It's my way of being heard. Even if my voice is small, it will be heard.

I voted Perot twice, and I don't regret doing it. I believe that Perot would have been the best candidate for the job. I voted Nader last time around. NOt so much because I believe in the Greens, but because he wasn't one of the Big 2.

The best thing a person can do is vote their conscience. If you believe that the candidate that best represents you is one of the Big 2, great. But if that candidate isn't... vote for them anyway. Make the choice that will do you the best. Don't vote against some one, vote for yourself.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Thanks Weller, same as you. Now that I think about it I dont really agree with the last statement I made either
. I guess it was just late last night when I wrote it!

It's a tough situation when one has to pick from two evils, but you are right, not voting is a waste of a vote, so I take back that comment...especially since I will be voting

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I've seen enough on this site to know why our system is the way it is. Too many people will vote for someone because of what party they will belong to. They will make up the lamest excuses to defend their person no matter how idiotic it sounds. I can see them just looking down the ballot for the party name and punching the entry never once looking for the name next to it.

Then there is this idea that if you don't vote you can't complain. Thats wrong. Only person that has a right to complain is the person that went out to try and get the best person on the ballot. Putting in your 5 minutes every few years entitles you to nothing.

But we as Americans have gotten ignorant and lazy. Pretty much what the rest of the world has accused us of for decades. The 2 party system won't change until we change. And that change comes well before election day when you should be hitting the pavement and getting signatures to get a good person on the ballot. It takes time and effort. Something most Americans aren't willing to contribute.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Complacent ignorance... Or just stupidity.....

Just so you know, for those of you who have the voting for the lesser of two evils or that a third party vote doesn't count mindset, you've drank the koo aid, if you think thats an orginal thought, it isn't... It's been hammered into your heads, millions of people think the same way as you, and aren't smart enough to questions it or maybe even identify it.. You don't even know the damage that does to this country. the more you keep ignorantly voting for one of the two of ignorant pricks, the more hurt you will bring upon us and the nation.

Closing your eyes and hoping for the best is complacent ignorance...
Obviously millions of people don't have a passion for wanting the best for this country, millions of people don't care enough to vote these two parties out.

If millions of people woke up and realised this, a hell of a lot could change...
If millions of people we easily brainwashed, i'm sure millions of people can be woken up on their own... wake up... *slap*

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Me, Meee! *raises hand*

I am sick of seeing a coin flipped... sorry its called voting apparantly. Never have never will!

ANARCHY!

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I wholeheartedly agree - as a Libertarian, it saddens me to meet others who share my views but feel as though they must vote for a Democrat or Republican to make any difference.

Anyone remember that episode of the Simpsons with Clinton and Dole running for president, and they are replaced with alien replicants? Homer reveals this horrifying truth during a debate, and the aliens response is "this is a two party system, you have to vote for one of us!". A guy in the audience stands up and proclaims, "I believe I'll vote for a 3rd party candidate!". The aliens reply, "Go ahead -- throw your vote away!"

Next scene, the aliens have taken over and enslaved us.

That episode of the Simpsons was more telling about our political system than anything I've seen on TV in a long time!

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Brian...I forgot about that episode until you mentioned it. You are right, it's more true than many people realize. I'm a third party voter, not completely Libertarian, but it saddens me as well to think that people are so easily manipulated by the two party systems into believing that voting Third Party is a vote wasted, just as it should be illegal for them to block Third Party candidates from debating them.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies

that a third party vote doesn't count mindset

It counts by taking Democrat votes away, unless you can get enough third party votes to win.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Originally posted by TrueLies
that a third party vote doesn't count mindset

It counts by taking Democrat votes away, unless you can get enough third party votes to win.

Clear and to the point.

I would vote for a third party candidate over Kerry in a second if I thought that there was a chance in hell of them winning. However, what I see as a bigger problem is Bush jr. winning. As for the lesser of two evils is still an evil observation, would you rather have your toe severed, your foot severed or not have a choice in the matter of which will be done?

Now I understand that if anything is ever going to change with this two party system support needs to be shown statistically through voting for other candidates. The problem is (IMHO) that if Bush jr. is not taken out of office, the america that we know will not be around long enough to have the opertunity to see a favor shift in third party candidates.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
its sad but true. were in a lose lose situation.

i am convinced america is going down the drain and theres nothing we can do about it. infact i look forward to ww3, the sooner its over the sooner we can rebuild.

the only solution i have heard of comes from www.votebuddy.com and it is feeble at that. but where else do you turn?!

"Unless people start voting for these third party candidates even though they won't win ... this time ... we will be stuck with this same old Mutt-and-Jeff treatment from the major parties FOREVER."

FOREVER

-lost

[edit on 27-8-2004 by lost]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I propose a random number generator be used to make all presidential decisions. Then we are gauranteed a 50% success rate rather than the current 1-2%!

In all seriousness I think on big decisions such as war the public should be given the information and then allowed to vote yes or no. Afterall it is the public who ultimately pay the price of war not a select group of useless elitists who call themselves politicians. Let the politicians work out the small unimportant stuff and leave the real decisions to real Americans.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Perhaps all government officials should be chosen by a random lot of citizens. No elections, no voting...everyone has a chance at participating in governing.

Although, when you consider how dumb the general public seems to be, maybe this isn't a good idea?!

new topics

top topics

join