It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuba: We want normalized U.S. relations

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by popsmayhem

Actually aside from Soviet nukes and the whole Cuban missile crisis, the Soviets did port calls to Cuba.

Transisition from a dictatorial style setup to a democratic one is a delicate transisiton, and we can see former east block countries as evidence of how wrong it can go if not done correctly.

The Cuban government to me looks to be heading in that direction. They look like they are doing it in stages, Let the economy reforms kick in and see how it goes from there. If its successful I can see local elections / regional elections coming up as the next thing to watch.

A communist style government does not mean doom to all. We can see that in democratic countries where governments stray off the reservation and cause problems.

It looks like Cuba is pulling some plays from china. Might as well since they seem to work there.

While I agree caution is needed, we shouldnt wait to long or else we might loose out on a historic opprotunity.

While I see your point, I think we are going to end this disagreeing.

The embargo has been working,
if you mess that up now,
I believe there would be a revert
right back to how things were as soon as they get what they want.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Wait. The CIA set up Castro to go to the Soviets to take on ICBMs that Bill Lyne
found out about, told the CIA and the CIA delayed to contact Kennedy.
That Cuba. Thats normal relations. And that was after the Bay of Pigs, the first
normal relation with Kennedy. But long after the Spanish America war on Cuba land.
All normal. Keep on being normal Cuba, you survived the nuke attack from Kennedy.
Hey lucky you, the attack was canceled. Wow what is next for Cuba.
Heck getting involved with Cuba is a lot better than having the American Civil War started
by international bankers. Or the war of 1812 to stop America from printing its own
money.We would own the world with our printing presses making US Notes, real
greenbacks, backed up by the best technology the world has never seen.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

There is probably some support by Fidel. However Fidel hates the USA and everything it stands for.
His brother on the other hand has more base motivation and could probably be bought off.

Living in Miami and working alongside Cubans. Even some Cubans that were alive at the time Fidel was coming into power and who were in the military serving as officers at the time of the revolution.
I can tell you this guy is not to be trusted.

Personally I would love nothing more for the regime to fall and open up to United States businesses.
If that happened I would make sure I would be there doing IT work.

I can't wait for the 90 mile bridge to be built spanning the Florida straights from Key West to Cuba once the Castro Regime goes the way of the dodo.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I feel that improved relations between the two nations, even if it's on our end, will bring about more change than anything we've done so far.

In the end, our sheer market presence makes a difference. If we take North Korea and China as examples, North Korea is trying to maintain their isolation while China is working towards our economic scheme and the differences are huge.

If we began to trade again, and we should, I get the impression things would improve on the ground in Cuba.

Peace
KJ

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by KrazyJethro

The political climate with cuba is a result of the exile community and the castro regime.

Not so much of the USA towards Cuba. Back before Fidel was in power there was plenty of free trade back and forth between Havana and Miami.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It's time for us to let bygones be bygones already with Cuba. I mean honestly how long can this country
hold a grudge. But then again I suppose as long as they continue to be buddy, buddy with that raving loon Cavez that puts a damper on it.
edit on 9/29/2011 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
It's time for us to let bygones be bygones already with Cuba. I mean honestly how long can this country
hold a grudge. But then again I suppose as long as they continue to be buddy, buddy with that raving loon Cavez that puts a damper on it.
edit on 9/29/2011 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

I wonder if the reason its been in effect for so long is because of domestic politics in Florida? Its usually a swing state, large cuban american population with significant sway on elections.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
The political climate with cuba is a result of the exile community and the castro regime.

Not so much of the USA towards Cuba. Back before Fidel was in power there was plenty of free trade back and forth between Havana and Miami.

Perhaps, but it's not a secret that we could turn off this embargo as easy as a light switch. Are you saying Cuba will not trade with America? If so, I'm not aware of that.

Peace
KJ

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join