It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuba: We want normalized U.S. relations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Cuba: We want normalized U.S. relations

(AP) UNITED NATIONS - Cuba wants to re-establish relations with the United States with a focus on humanitarian and other issues, Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez said Monday.

Rodriguez also called on President Barack Obama to release five Cubans serving U.S. espionage sentences, telling the opening of the new U.N. General Assembly that the continued imprisonment of the five men convicted of espionage in 2001 is "inhumane." The Cuban government refers to the five men as heroes who were gathering information about terrorist groups in the United States to protect their homeland.

The foreign minister said the two countries had many points of understanding in common.

"The Cuban government reiterates its willingness and interest to move toward the normalization of relations with the United States," Rodriguez said.

Cuba accuses Bill Richardson of "blackmail"

"Today I reiterate the proposal of beginning a dialogue aimed at solving bilateral problems, including humanitarian issues, as well as the offer of negotiating several cooperation agreements to combat drug-trafficking, terrorism, human smuggling, prevent natural disasters and protect the environment."

Click link for remainder of article.

Secondary sources -
Yahoo News - Cuba seeks normalization with United States
edit on 28-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
This is an interesting move from Cuba, one in which I think is long overdue. The purpose of the US embargo was to put an end to the Cuban government, and we see that it has not worked, so why keep trying?

I'm more encouraged by the fact the overatures are coming from the cuban side. It tells me the reforms being put in place by the government is taking hold and working. With the recent changes in private ownership of property and private businesses maybe cuba will once again be the premiere resort destination it once was.

Hopefully we take it for what is is and re-establish relations.

what is left to do other than talk?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Fifty years after the revolution, Cuba today remains one of the most politically repressed countries in the world. Current Cuban law and practice prevent the right to assemble without the permission of the state, criminalizedissemination of information contrary to the official line, and provide a state monopoly over mass media. Cuba is the only non-democratically-elected government in the Western Hemisphere.

I hope we would see things change a bit in Cuba before we start holding hands and singing Kumbaya. I'm all for better relations with the country, and for allowing people with family there easy access but I fear that if we open up dialogue they are going to start asking for aid, more aid and some aid after that.

Link

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I agree... The reforms we have seen so far are encouraging. If I remember righty they have released all remaining political prisoners.

The move on private ownership was a shot out of the blue, same with private businesses.

I know the Cuban government was having financing issues because everyone was essentially dependant on the government. Normalizing relations will open the door for tourism / academic studies etc in Cuba. While I agree they may ask for aid, that request could be offset by tourism and trade.

Either or, its a start.

cautious optimism.....
edit on 28-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I'd like to see a normalization of relations again. Fidel isnt long for the world and both Cuba and the US could use the business and trade not only that I'm sure there are plenty of Cuban/Americans who would love to see family after all these years.

I say it's over and time to rebuild relations

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
good for cuba!
if you cant beat em,join em.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

You bring up a good point about tourism. I think the Cuban government and citizens would benefit greatly by having the place overrun with us overeating Americans! It would be a real boon for their economy and hell I would love to see the place. Considering some of the other countries we have good relationships with I don't know if human rights abuses are going to hold much weight in keeping us from opening up dialogue.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Could you imagine Spring Break: Cuba?

Its a new world.. I think its time we recognize that fact and change with it or be left behind.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I would love to see this. I think it is long over due. Big of Cuba to reach out too.

I know we eased some of our sanctions or what ever you want to call them, not to long ago, maybe this is their way of saying, we want to return the favor and be friends.

I dig it.

Good for you Cuba.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

"Today I reiterate the proposal of beginning a dialogue aimed at solving bilateral problems, including humanitarian issues, as well as the offer of negotiating several cooperation agreements to combat drug-trafficking, terrorism, human smuggling, prevent natural disasters and protect the environment."

I didn't know that we can prevent natural disasters. Hm, maybe he meant national disasters?
Good looking out though! This may be something.
edit on (9/28/1111 by loveguy because: oops

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

To an extent we can prevent them. We have the technology to build buildings that can withstand earthquakes. We have infrstructure in place to monitor weather and to evacuate people as needed.

Cuba shares the gulf of Mexico, which means they were affected by the horizon oil spill as well. I could certainly see the US - Cuba - Mexico coming together on drilling requirements that are the same for all 3 countries. Working together to make it safer could prevent disasters in the area.

Either way, I think its possible the use of that term might have been lost in translation. I think it was meant as cooperation to prevent loss of life etc.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I couldn't agree more. It is a new World and it's time we begin living in it. I'm not keen on taking another country under our wing and paying tons in aid but I think the place would be in a far better state just from our delicious tourist dollars. I would rather visit Cuba than Mexico right now.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Maybe we should normalize with this Communist country,and give them Most Favored Nation Status,immediately. Look at how good it has worked out with China. Oh wait..............................

edit on 28-9-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by loveguy

To an extent we can prevent them. We have the technology to build buildings that can withstand earthquakes. We have infrstructure in place to monitor weather and to evacuate people as needed.

Cuba shares the gulf of Mexico, which means they were affected by the horizon oil spill as well. I could certainly see the US - Cuba - Mexico coming together on drilling requirements that are the same for all 3 countries. Working together to make it safer could prevent disasters in the area.

Either way, I think its possible the use of that term might have been lost in translation. I think it was meant as cooperation to prevent loss of life etc.

Yeah, in agreement with you there. Now hopefully Castro can persuade 'whomsoever is in-charge' to go green and quit building nuclear death chambers, I mean reactors.

Sorry to accost your thread.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Things in Cuba are the way they are mainly because of Us efforts to make them that way. we don't owe them aid, we owe them reparations.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Cuba is beautiful.
But the Castro regime is like any other communist dictatorship.
You can't trust em.

I would be cautious of anything coming out of Cuba.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Fifty years after the revolution, Cuba today remains one of the most politically repressed countries in the world. Current Cuban law and practice prevent the right to assemble without the permission of the state, criminalizedissemination of information contrary to the official line, and provide a state monopoly over mass media. Cuba is the only non-democratically-elected government in the Western Hemisphere.

I hope we would see things change a bit in Cuba before we start holding hands and singing Kumbaya. I'm all for better relations with the country, and for allowing people with family there easy access but I fear that if we open up dialogue they are going to start asking for aid, more aid and some aid after that.

Link

State monopoly over mass media...gee, that sounds alot like the U.S.! Theres alot of non-democratically elected governments the U.S. has allied with over the years. Cuba is no threat to the U.S., lift the embargo because it makes no sense in keeping the cubans impoverished for what their government does. maybe one day when Fidel Castro dies it will all change for the better in cuba. Castro has to die sometime soon he is getting pretty damn old, and im expecting alzheimers to set in on him soon.

edit on 28-9-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Some fair points. From what ive seen Castro is no where near the leadership position he once held, and his brother Raul, I doubt, would make decisions of this magnitude without the support of Castro.

People tend to change when they are close to their death bed - whether it be Castro himself or the Cuban way of life they envisioned in the 50's when they took over.

I dont see Cuba becoming another China by virtue of resources / population / and it no longer being the cold war. Thats not to say Cuba wouldnt host Iranian / Chinese / Russian / Venezuelan bases though. Hard currency and some added security could make the difference.

Why I think we should jump on the chance now, rather than later.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Cuba hosting another country for bases would bring one big nuke
that would be the end of cuba.

If Fidel wants to turn over his power and let Cuban citizens vote
for who they want in office and they make up a constitution giving
the Cuban citizens rights, then by all means YES re-open relations.

Until then, I think we have opened up enough.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

Actually aside from Soviet nukes and the whole Cuban missile crisis, the Soviets did port calls to Cuba.

Transisition from a dictatorial style setup to a democratic one is a delicate transisiton, and we can see former east block countries as evidence of how wrong it can go if not done correctly.

The Cuban government to me looks to be heading in that direction. They look like they are doing it in stages, Let the economy reforms kick in and see how it goes from there. If its successful I can see local elections / regional elections coming up as the next thing to watch.

A communist style government does not mean doom to all. We can see that in democratic countries where governments stray off the reservation and cause problems.

It looks like Cuba is pulling some plays from china. Might as well since they seem to work there.

While I agree caution is needed, we shouldnt wait to long or else we might loose out on a historic opprotunity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join