It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush's legacy: Numbers of poor and unemployed rise

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   

O So you all you Bush haters, tell me with a straight face that we are doing horrible and the US Economy is in pieces when people can afford those cars for 16 yr olds in HS!!!
We are doing horrible. Economy sucks. People can afford such luxuries due to a little system called"credit".

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
ChemKid,

You know very well that this new law is going to be exploited by the companies, and it will be misused and misinterpreted. It will be abuses and the common and needy American citizen is going to get cut up in the middle.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Marg6043,

The single mother who works in you neck of the woods will probably still get OT pay. Odds are she works a job that is classifed as a job that OT will continue to exist. That is my point exactly! This image of starving kids and disheveled mothers has to stop! I was a single father at 20! So don't tell me about how rough it is. You do what you have to to make ends meet and feed your kids. The smart person it that situation would only take a job that keeps OT pay coming in. The system is what the system is. If you don't like what is going on, here is a novel idea, VOTE! This bill has been on the tabel since the Carter Administration! Nobody wants you to know that, NO! Just put the headline, "BUSH TAKES AWAY YOU HARD EARNED OT!" on the front page of every paper and fuel the hate of a man who is trying to make it better for the common good. Most people don't even know who their local poiticians are! Those are the people that have the most effect on your everyday life! But no, you keep on ignoring the locals by not getting involved and making your political decisions based on sound bytes heard on MTV news between rap videos. The sad thing is people are voting for Kerry just because he is not Bush, thats weak. Not knowing what Kerry stands for and voting for him is a very scary thing. Lets see what happens in the next 1yr or so. If Kerry gets elected and he doesn't pull thru, I'll be one of the ones in the I told you so group!

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Why does the economy suck? Wow another sound byte! Credit has been around since the creation of money. Don't say that credit caused a poor economy. It's the weak individual who lives above his or her means that creates the problem! I was taught, if you wanted something you work hard and save for it. That thinking has been flushed down the american toilet. It goes back to work ethic, many Americans have none. It's the ME, ME , ME...NOW, NOW, NOW generation that has ruined themselves, not the economy. Don't blame the basball bat manufacturer for the murder of a little old lady beaten to death, blame the individual that misused it!

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Chem- glad to see you're among the elite and totally unafected by the economy. Now, I'd like to get your parents perspective on this.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Is there actual data to prove that the Bush administration is responsible. How long does it take for an administration's policies to take effect? How much power does a single administration have? I'm just asking questions, not making an argument.

I do, however, have one point. Earlier, someone said there were some call station jobs leaving the US and moving to Canada. These are exactly the type of jobs that have been created recently (same pay rate anyway) that are described as "low income" jobs. My question is, what candidate, Republican, Democrat or other has a realistic platform to create high paying jobs that can support a family.

I think we have expanded beyond our means and place too much emphasis on corporate profits. If the profits don't meet expecations, the stock plummets. In order to meet our high expectations, companies need to lower cost. It truly is a catch-22. I wish someone had the solution.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Newsflash: The reason so many lack medical insurance is because the cost of health care is going up

The cost of health care is going up because of the ballooning cost of malpractice insurance

The cost of malpractice insurance is ballooning because lawyers will sue the hospital, supporting staff, and anyone else they can find if their settlement damands aren't met

Now... guess who likes to sue every doctor and his barber if someone gets hurt anywhere in their hospital? Hint: He's the Democratic VP candidate.
--

As for those employment numbers...

well... anyone who thinks that 5% is a huge number is either a panic-monger or someone who has never read a history book. Sorry, but just over 5% is about right for a recovering economy (which, might I add, began to slide under Clinton).

Really... the Bush bashing isn't just out of hand... it's pretty much turning into an excercise in ignorance at this point...

[edit on 27-8-2004 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Everyone says the economy sucks. I'm not part of an elite. As stated before I too live paycheck to paycheck. Life is not easy. No one said it was. I haven't gotten a raise in the past 3 years, I drive an SUV to work and Pay $2.00+ for a gallon of gas. But I work hard and adjust for hard times. My wife and I just had a baby girl. We made that choice and planned accordingly. We put as much money aside before she was born to help offset my wifes maternity leave. We didn't expect the government to help, we weren't looking for handouts, and as far as the unexpected, if I could see into the future I would be rich myself. Why does the economy suck? I have yet heard of specific cases. How have you been personally affected, I would love to hear comments. Just because you don't live in a big house with a big car and a hot wife the economy sucks. I just think the countries American Dream expectations have been blown way out of proportion. People forget, what you see on TV is ENTERTAINMENT! That way of life is not real. For the fortunate .0002 percent of the countries celebrities that may be how life is measured. If you had their money, you may live that way too, but by no means should it be concidered the American Dream to be rich and famous. What ever happened to a happy simple life? If one thinks that you have to be adored by the masses to have "made it" in todays economy thats sad.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Finally, someone who gets it. Thanks onlyinmydreams.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I have to agree with Chemkid. While I am living better than I deserve, I am by no means "wealthy" according to today's standards.

In order to put things into perspective, take a trip to Mexico. Down there, most people live in primative houses with extended family. But, you know what, you will always see them with a smile on their face. They love their family, they appreciate what they have and they don't have credit card debt and then blame their problems on the government. It does seem like a simple life.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
you all realise that at this time in clintons first term it was 5.6% unemployment and its 5.5% for bush, in 2001 things started sky rocketing and that was before he did any major economic changes, dont blame bush here, blame 9/11, enron, chinese growth, mexican trading deals regarding illegals working here and taking jobs, and many other things that clearly hurt our economy.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by dcgolf
Is there actual data to prove that the Bush administration is responsible. How long does it take for an administration's policies to take effect? How much power does a single administration have? I'm just asking questions, not making an argument.

I do, however, have one point. Earlier, someone said there were some call station jobs leaving the US and moving to Canada. These are exactly the type of jobs that have been created recently (same pay rate anyway) that are described as "low income" jobs. My question is, what candidate, Republican, Democrat or other has a realistic platform to create high paying jobs that can support a family.

High income, low income. They're going overseas for larger profits.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I just love these Bush supporters. So blinded by the party line. If this were Clinton doing this they'd be screaming bloody murder. And they talk about whiney liberals. Its the same tired response Bush supporters come up with every time because they simply have no excuse. Sorry republicans but you've had congress for most of Clinton's term and all of Bush's term and you guys have hosed this economy beyond repair. And the way you people think is just laughable. You shoot someone and then blame the victim for being a bleeder. Its pretty pathetic.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Have a nice trip. If it is so bad here, leave. Follow the prosperity that the current administration has managed to destroy and send overseas.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
A BIG part of the reason Health care is rising so fast is because of the cost of prescription drugs. Bush has done nothing but PANDER & WH*RE for the big pharmaceutical companies. FORCING BY LAW for americans to buy drugs at FULL INFLATED retail prices and OUTLAWING free market purchases from Canada and group rate purchasing negotiations with pharmaceutical companies.

As a side note I am not particularly in favor of National Health Care, but to OUTLAW the free market is OBSCENE.

Bush ONLY cares about the Rich and the Super Rich. ChemKid honestly Bush would barbeque you and your wife and kid for lunch for all he cares about you. Wake up guy, find someone who has YOUR best interests at heart to support politically.

EVERY piece of legislation Bush and this congress [mostly Republican] have passed have been written EXCLUSIVELY to benefit the corporate grease pigs. They become expatriot to avoid taxes so you pay more ChemKid. They outlaw the small investor from sueing when they are defrauded by corporations.

Get OFF the Chems ChemKid and Wake up. If not for yourself then at least for your kid.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   
IF Bush gets reelected I can only hope the republicans lose control of congress. At least that way the idiot's ideas don't get passed.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemKid
Everyone says the economy sucks. I'm not part of an elite. As stated before I too live paycheck to paycheck. Life is not easy. No one said it was. I haven't gotten a raise in the past 3 years, I drive an SUV to work and Pay $2.00+ for a gallon of gas. But I work hard and adjust for hard times. My wife and I just had a baby girl. We made that choice and planned accordingly. We put as much money aside before she was born to help offset my wifes maternity leave. We didn't expect the government to help, we weren't looking for handouts, and as far as the unexpected, if I could see into the future I would be rich myself. Why does the economy suck? I have yet heard of specific cases. How have you been personally affected, I would love to hear comments. .
You are just going to back republicans and Bush no matter how hard the house falls on your head.
Good luck. Nothing I can say will sway you. Time alone will prove me right and you wrong. so long

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:05 AM
link   
So, here we are a few posts later and no one has answered how this horrible economy has affected them personally! How bad do any of you have it if you are sitting at home hooked on the internet for $20 per month on a computer worth $400+ give or take, sitting in a apartment or house with a rent/mortgage payment of at least $600 a month with spare time commenting on how horrible a life it is under the Bush Regime. Funny, I didn't think cardboard boxes in alleys had cable or DSL lines.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemKid
I think its really weak that everyone keeps bashing Bush about the economy and how bad we are doing here in America. I think its alot of BS! The same people who actually believe the hype propigated by the liberal media are the same ones with 4 room satelite dish receivers, x-boxes, ps2's, SUV's, $400,000+ homes, etc. When I went to high school during the Clinton administration I was driving a used 70 Chevy Chevelle with faded paint and a muffler dropping off. My car was one of the many used cars fading in the sun in the parking lot. Now you drive by my same school and all you see is Maximas, Lexuses, Tricked out Civics, Grand Cherokees etc... So you all you Bush haters, tell me with a straight face that we are doing horrible and the US Economy is in pieces when people can afford those cars for 16 yr olds in HS!!!

Well, let's see, live in a trailer park, no cable, no suv, husband travels close to a hundred miles a day for a job that pays enough to keep us afloat, and I needed to get the assistance of a state senator before a doctor agreed to treat a broken ankle without insurance or a insane down payment.

gee, don't seem to fit your description....and well, the economy stinks!!! the clearest sign of it is the financial chaos in the federal, state, and local governments. Our federal government is putting us more and more in debt, have passed mandates but failed to provide funding to bring them about. and of couse the state and local governments are being forced to pick up the slack.....which is causing increased fees, taxes, ect, while cutting needed services to the communities. And, they are already saying it will be worse next year.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Have a nice trip. If it is so bad here, leave. Follow the prosperity that the current administration has managed to destroy and send overseas.
Better yet, lets get rid of the current government. I should not have to leave.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join