It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you all knowledge about a man named Socrates?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gravity215

Originally posted by megabytz
reply to post by Gravity215

More than likely he did have sexual relations with his teenage students, not little boys.

It was a culturally accepted practice in Ancient Greece.

It would of almost been stranger if he didn't.

Wow your defending that?

I actually just went and got my copy of it and i have all of plato's work.

Socrates describes the beauty as a boy who has just hit puberty and virgin boys. I remember the first time I read this and I was disgusted and couldn't finish it.

You're suggesting that the father of modern philosophy and the man who thought up the original concept of utopia (in the book the republic), was unable to see that taking advantage of 12-14 year old boys was wrong when he was able to critic just about everything else about the society at the time. Even worse taking advantage of his students.

This attitude about there being no right or wrong just what society says is okay is why the world is so messed up still today. If everybody today was a pedophile would you think it was right?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

edit on 28-9-2011 by Seiko because: decided against.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Gravity215

You are forgetting the issue of historical context. What we find immoral and disgusting today is not the same as what society found immoral and disgusting back then. You can't dismiss the valuable contributions of an intellectual based on behaviour he took part in that was considered culturally and socially acceptable back at the time.

---

This attitude about there being no right or wrong just what society says is okay is why the world is so messed up still today.

Where do you think your beliefs about what is Right and Wrong stem from?
edit on 29/9/2011 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Ya and is that what you have been telling yourself all this time; that you were sane?

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichelJCardin
reply to post by Ghost375

Actually my hat's off to him for standing beside his beliefs; but a smarter man would have stayed alive.

it's not nice for some of the posterpeople here to be negative, also VIOLATES ATS T&C regarding:

ARGUMENTUM AD HOMINEM VERITAS

****stick to topic****
****no personal attacks****

My hat's off to people that tell the truth and get wetworked too.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichelJCardin
Well for some of those that haven't; it was a man condemned for swearing the earth was round; if anyone would have taken the time to look; well they would have seen that it was curbing down gradually and even those that lived in the mountains would have.Now isn't that a cool thread?
edit on 28-9-2011 by MichelJCardin because: (no reason given)

So said Plato, he never actually wrote anything himself, and he also was a pedophile, have a read of the Symposium and about his fetish for young boys. Not so great imo.
edit on 28-9-2011 by Gravity215 because: (no reason given)

OFF TOPIC POST NOT RELATED STEERING THREAD TO PEDOPHILIA DISCUSSION NOTED

Aristophanes' play The Clouds portrays Socrates as a clown who teaches his students how to bamboozle their way out of debt. Most of Aristophanes' works, however, function as parodies. Thus, it is presumed this characterization was also not literal.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join