It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you all knowledge about a man named Socrates?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Well for some of those that haven't; it was a man condemned for swearing the earth was round; if anyone would have taken the time to look; well they would have seen that it was curbing down gradually and even those that lived in the mountains would have.Now isn't that a cool thread?
edit on 28-9-2011 by MichelJCardin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Is this a joke?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
More importantly he was a genius Brazilian Footballer.

Socrates

Cheers

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Implying that you're great like Socrates?
Now, I know you have delusions of grandeur. Please see a doctor and a psychologist.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

I did no such thing as that; I but but implied that it is in some's nature to become blind to things that does conforme to their regular agenda. And I am not the type to see anyone in the past or now as greater than me only but for their accomplishments in other's eyes ; I have no disrespect for others in the past and nor as I I for myself. They had everything that I had ; I didn't learn nothing from nobody and if I figure out more thing that they did ; well maybe it might be because I was in this era and it's civilized state.
Actually my hat's off to him for standing beside his beliefs; but a smarter man would have stayed alive.
In fact; you know; these are just the types of negative attitudes that drive and have driven me; so whatever dude; sorry about what is going on with you and I hope that you solve these issues; but me I am the most probable sane person you will ever encounter.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MichelJCardin

Socrates wasn't condemned for saying the earth was round.

Many of the Greeks already knew that the earth was round.

Socrates was executed mainly because he made certain aristocrats feel inferior.

The actual charges were corrupting the youth and failing to acknowledge the gods as well as introducing new gods.

Socrates also had numerous chances to escape but refused. His execution had nothing to do with the earth being round.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichelJCardin
Well for some of those that haven't; it was a man condemned for swearing the earth was round; if anyone would have taken the time to look; well they would have seen that it was curbing down gradually and even those that lived in the mountains would have.Now isn't that a cool thread?

So said Plato, he never actually wrote anything himself, and he also was a pedophile, have a read of the Symposium and about his fetish for young boys. Not so great imo.
edit on 28-9-2011 by Gravity215 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
MichelJCardin

no offense, alot of your post's barely make sense from what ive seen, anyway let me add by saying i was first introduced to socrates as a kid through the bill and ted movie lol anyone else?
edit on 01/18/2011 by camouflaged because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Cool story, only that is not why he was put to death, it was for corrupting the youth (which of course was not true). Aristotle believed in a round Earth, he was not put to death.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Gravity215

You expect somebody who lived over 2000 years ago to think about right and wrong the same way you do? Get over yourself. The op is ridiculous too.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

More than likely he did have sexual relations with his teenage students, not little boys.

It was a culturally accepted practice in Ancient Greece.

It would of almost been stranger if he didn't.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by megabytz

www.creationtips.com... Plato, a contemporary of Aristotle and disciple of Socrates, quoted Socrates as saying: “my conviction is that the earth is a round body in the center of the heavens” (Phaedo, 380 BC).

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

I realize that.

I didn't say that he did not think the earth was round. I said he was not executed because of it.

Many of the ancient greeks knew the earth was round simply because ships would disappear over the horizon.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by camouflaged

Dust...wind... dude....

On topic, socrates was put to death for his ability to mentally destroy his opponents in debate. In a greek system where you argued your own case before a court of true peers without lawyers he was a powerful adversary.

...and then when he went to court one of the smartest men who lived decided it would be in his best defense to insult the court and everyone within earshot.

Long story short he died.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Thats' it

That is your thread on Socrates

*puts her head in her hands and sobs quietly*

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

All I learned about him was of that and have never read other than Paul Crop's two of his novels for the purpose of school book reports and chose those for the word count; let's say that I always prefered to be on the listener's side of narration for probably reasons of being able to not have to limit myself to only be doing that at that moment. I may have not have goten all facts in this subject but I do think that I remember learning that if he renounced claiming that earth was not possibly flat; then he would either was freed or somewhat would have had different death circumstances. Maybe I should have read about it but if would instaid of thinking ; I would not create; but I would then become one of "known" knowledge. And what is that saying"The only thing we have ever learned from history is...That no one has ever learnt anything from history"right.
Like I said; I don't like to read but I really liked that in the beginning and stopped to be honest where it began the #1 myths. 10 myths and 10 truths about atheism

You can find the link at megabytz post above

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

I most certainly don't see them at those times as being of independently thinking for themselves and am usually successful in explaining to friends of such likelyhood that they being nieve in most aspects including religious impliments that were put apon them I hold nothing against anyone; as I assume as that their actions were at par with the times; but I do recognise those times as what they are and in nature never kid myself otherwise. And for one thing; I have explained one or two none theoretical circumstances where some understood almost completally and should now read and answer those posts as best I can and second; nothingLOL. But that is why I dealt this thread in hopes of fetting open mindness on things instead of some's negitivities.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by megabytz

Well stated. For those wondering why Socrates chose not to flee, it was for multiple reasons but mainly the following three:

1) True philosophers should not fear death.

Socrates believed that those who lived a Just existence in Life would likely experience a Just existence in Death. He also believed that death could not harm a Righteous man.

2) His teachings would eventually find displeasure amongst the authorities of any place he fled to and he would face a similar fate.

While he had powerful friends, Socrates also made quite a number of powerful enemies. His tendency to question everything and contradict others was too much to handle for certain aristocrats and led to his downfall. Even if he moved, he would never stop questioning others and meeting the wrath of those powerful and influential individuals with too much pride to admit they were not as knowledgeable as they thought.

3) By fleeing he would be breaking his social contract with the Greek state.

This was perhaps the most important reason for Socrates not to flee. He was found guilty by the state and therefore it would have contradicted his values and ideals to escape. As he had enjoyed all the perks and privileges as a Greek, he too accepted the democratic discourse of the state when it found him guilty of the charges against him.

edit on 28/9/2011 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

reply to post by Ghost375

In fact; you know; these are just the types of negative attitudes that drive and have driven me; so whatever dude; sorry about what is going on with you and I hope that you solve these issues; but me I am the most probable sane person you will ever encounter.

I'm not being negative in the slightest. I'm concerned for your well-being.
People that have severe mental problems usually say that they are completely sane.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by megabytz

More than likely he did have sexual relations with his teenage students, not little boys.

It was a culturally accepted practice in Ancient Greece.

It would of almost been stranger if he didn't.

Wow your defending that?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join