It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Post Your Racist Opinions Here’ Thread Nearly Shuts Down Reddit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Uh-oh—massively popular link-sharing site Reddit was "basically" taken down this afternoon, according to a mod. The culprit? A thread encouraging Redditors to post the "extremely controversial things" that they "honestly believe." Yep: Redditors got so excited about a safe space for their racism and misogyny that they almost shut down the site. We've known for a long time that Reddit has an unfortunate tendency to reflect the worst of the internet. Its popular "Men's Rights" section, about which the less said the better, seems to set the tone for the site's views on gender and sexuality; users' casually-deployed racism is something of a site in-joke; and, well, there's a whole sub-Reddit dedicated to sexualized images of adolescent girls.

I find this pretty depressing. It seems like every time things get a little better, they get a little worse. It always surprises me how many people are incredibly racist ( guarantee some people here think I am idgac ). Let someone post their feelings anonymously online and *BOOM* it's just an explosion of poo. The saddest part? I agree with some of the sentiments. As in,

You should be educated to a certain degree AND have a stable income before being allowed to have children.

I know it's not PC and I wouldn't want to strip a child away from it's mother or force abortions but some of the parents I see make me furious.

I've always sort of liked Reddit, and this won't change my opinion of the site but does make me wonder just how far we've actually come in learning to live with each other despite our differences. Sure I hold some racist and misogynistic views ( little ones ) but this general outpouring of pure hate is rather disturbing.

So ATS, are we getting better or worse as a society? Are these little racial and sexist thoughts an issue, or are they just stereotypes because they're true? Lets keep it civil!

Link has some language.
Link

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
in before the lock.

also: OMG shock horror, is anyone supprised?!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
in before the lock.

also: OMG shock horror, is anyone supprised?!

nope...its like that one thread about the guy being charged for his harassment of the dead girl or w.e....nothing surprises me anymore...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

in before the lock.

Well hopefully people won't act like idiots and get the thread locked.

And yeah, I was kind of surprised. Almost knocking Reddit offline with racist comments is a surprising feat.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Calex1987

Oh yeah i dont dispute your bringing it up.

Its just madness these days concerning racial intent, i dont belive anyone these days is really fully allowed to blame their parents anymore, we are too many generations along. So many countries treat everyone as they come, it definitly doesnt make any base for fact that race is relivant for an aurgment (where equal rights and fair trade come apply).

Of course; if XYZ gets jailed or shot for a racial crime, thats because it wont be tollerated anymore. These days a racial 'act' is treated the same as sexist or bully crimes, as it should be. In developed countries.

IMO.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Oh yeah i dont dispute your bringing it up.

Sorry to assume you were. Been having fun in another thread so I'm feeling argumentative. No I suppose it's not that surprising if you look at it in that light. I think it sucks that we can't get over these stupid things but the races are certainly still divided and have their own little cultures so we will probably continue to butt heads.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

just as one is free to be unhappy that another exhibits racist viewpoints, those with racist POV's have the right to share them. and as one has to grow, mature and become educated on how and why certain mind sets exist to understand them and even overcome them in one's self, one should keep in mind that others may have not yet had these opportunities for change.

in a similar vein we should remember that stereotypes, likes and dislikes sometimes exist for valid reason. depending where one was raised, by whom, what they have experienced - there are many factors that bring people to adopt (or abandon) beliefs and viewpoints.

as for having children and the parental responsibility to raise them properly i'm afraid mankind has an incredibly long way to go. too many seem to feel that possessing working reproductive organs is license for all of mankind to churn out infants regardless of the ability and desire to handle such precious cargo properly.

we are required to attend school and prove our comprehension if we want to be a teacher, doctor, nurse etcetera.

we have to study and pass tests if we want to operate a motor vehicle on public roadways.

one has to learn and qualify to cut hair or sell real estate.

while anyone who is capable of reproducing may do so, circumstances be damned.

look at the big picture: how many unwanted pregnancies, abortions, unwanted children, single parent households, infants born to those with hard substance addiction / hardcore alcoholics / recidivist criminals / mental & physical abusers, and children that starve to death annually are we going to ignore before we start doing the right thing? people need to wake up and we need to make changes for the better.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
People who say they don't have a racist bone in their body are lying. Sorry, but there it is. I'm just glad most people keep it to themselves, which is what is important. I don't let my prejudices get in the way of what is right, and most others don't either. It's OK to have an opinion, it's even OK to voice them. People just have to remember that there are consequences to free speech.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

OK, new poll showing that Reddit members all belong to the Teaparty and are Ron Paul supporters out in 3...2...1...
Nothing surprises me anymore.

top topics

join