It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When will be the right time to bug out?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

look- i am at defcon uh-oh..i am spending time here as i -literally- pack my gear-
check the price of gold, ponder how to return to pejibaye.-and when exactly..
i was just there jan-aug. make my border stamp crossing at san vito into panama.
i am uneasy. all this week i have spent every waking hour in pursuit of the truth.
i am regularly off topiced at ats and have been reporting on my facebook.
i cant take too much of the yappity yap from the crowd .
must be the mood disorder and ptsd.
i'm not arguing with anyone anymore - no time for that now.
yeah- put talking heads on and listen to " life during wartime"
i'm from the Hotchkiss clan.. arms makers.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
when you hear of a pandemic virus, or when you see the market get to the point it hits 1000 plus a day down, when people get into the streets and riot, when martial law is enforced, so many reasons, just be alert to the situations happening

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Originally posted by schuyler
You ought to be in position by now. If you're asking the question, it's too late. Everyone who is concerned about this sort of thing ought already to be in a safe place, have a year's supply of food, a source of water, and be as self sufficient as possible, right now.

If you are wanting to buy a geiger counter after the nuke plant has blown, you're a day late and a dollar short. Good luck.

Do you really think we have reached that point in time to leave everthing behind? what were the signs for you?

I have a bit of a different take on this. My first answer was short, so I'll explain a little more fully. My fault. I don't really believe in a "Head for the hills!" kind of approach. If there is some sort of economic collapse I figure several things might happen.

1. There will be riots in the cities.
2. There will be disruption of the supply chain.
3. There MAY be disruption in utilities.
4. There may be a breakdown of social order generally.

There will not be millions dead and a comet won't hit us. It will simply be uncomfortable and we'll need to rely on ourselves. So the idea is to get yourself into a relatively safe place right now. Why wait? If I lived in a big city, I'd move to a more rural location so that when the urbanites riot, I won't be in their path.There will be lots more attractive targets closer to them. So the first order of business is to isolate yourself from that. You don't want te living in Watts or Chicago's south side.

The second issue is a disruption of the supply chain. You fix that by storing enough food and toilet paper to allow you to live for awhile. I figure a year's worth is a reasonable compromise. Unless you're an experienced farmer and rancher, you won't be able to hold out forever, but the supply chain won't be disrupted forever either. One way or another people are going to get themselves fed. The shock won't be there forever and barter will work after a fashion. Buy a few cases of beer for trade.

As for utilities, that means making sure you have a supply of fresh water and, if you're so inclined, have a way to generate your own power. If you can set yourself up for solar, great, but more likely you'll be looking for warmth. That means a wood stove with plenty of available wood. I live in a forested area, so that's pretty well solved. I'll never run out of wood. I have enough gas for the chainsaw to cut through several cords and failing that, an axe or two. I have two generators and several hundred gallons of diesel. That won't last forever, but it will maintain my ability to refrigerate, at the very least. If all that fails, I've got lanterns, candles, and a camping stove. I always have backups to backups.

Fourth, if there is a breakdown in social order, I have first of all placed myself in a somewhat protected area and also armed myself. I don't expect to have to actually haul out the assault rifles, but as a deterrent that is at least available to me and can be used for hunting food. I don't fancy myself a butcher, but in a pinch I could probably do it. I also have civilized neighbors. I know that is a relative term, but I think it pays to be the least civilized person around. My neighbors talk a lot, but they're scared of guns. That's to my advantage.

The key to the whole thing for me is getting into position beforehand so I don't feel compelled to leave or go anywhere. I know my own territory a lot better than I would know some new place where there would already be people not happy to see me arrive as a refugee. I'm much more vulnerable on the move compared to in my own place. This is all predicated on my belief that an economic depression doesn't mean everyone goes crazy or everyone dies. It means a time of disruption and hardship. You can really never do enough and I don't consider myself completely prepared for every eventuality. Even if I did everything perfectly, there's still a chance the satellite would fall on my head.

The basic philosophy is to buy your batteries before the lights go out. I figure if things get weird, I can handle it for awhile.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

You ought to be in position by now. If you're asking the question, it's too late. Everyone who is concerned about this sort of thing ought already to be in a safe place, have a year's supply of food, a source of water, and be as self sufficient as possible, right now.

If you are wanting to buy a geiger counter after the nuke plant has blown, you're a day late and a dollar short. Good luck.

Do you really think we have reached that point in time to leave everthing behind? what were the signs for you?

I have a bit of a different take on this. My first answer was short, so I'll explain a little more fully. My fault. I don't really believe in a "Head for the hills!" kind of approach. If there is some sort of economic collapse I figure several things might happen.

1. There will be riots in the cities.
2. There will be disruption of the supply chain.
3. There MAY be disruption in utilities.
4. There may be a breakdown of social order generally.

There will not be millions dead and a comet won't hit us. It will simply be uncomfortable and we'll need to rely on ourselves. So the idea is to get yourself into a relatively safe place right now. Why wait? If I lived in a big city, I'd move to a more rural location so that when the urbanites riot, I won't be in their path.There will be lots more attractive targets closer to them. So the first order of business is to isolate yourself from that. You don't want te living in Watts or Chicago's south side.

The second issue is a disruption of the supply chain. You fix that by storing enough food and toilet paper to allow you to live for awhile. I figure a year's worth is a reasonable compromise. Unless you're an experienced farmer and rancher, you won't be able to hold out forever, but the supply chain won't be disrupted forever either. One way or another people are going to get themselves fed. The shock won't be there forever and barter will work after a fashion. Buy a few cases of beer for trade.

As for utilities, that means making sure you have a supply of fresh water and, if you're so inclined, have a way to generate your own power. If you can set yourself up for solar, great, but more likely you'll be looking for warmth. That means a wood stove with plenty of available wood. I live in a forested area, so that's pretty well solved. I'll never run out of wood. I have enough gas for the chainsaw to cut through several cords and failing that, an axe or two. I have two generators and several hundred gallons of diesel. That won't last forever, but it will maintain my ability to refrigerate, at the very least. If all that fails, I've got lanterns, candles, and a camping stove. I always have backups to backups.

Fourth, if there is a breakdown in social order, I have first of all placed myself in a somewhat protected area and also armed myself. I don't expect to have to actually haul out the assault rifles, but as a deterrent that is at least available to me and can be used for hunting food. I don't fancy myself a butcher, but in a pinch I could probably do it. I also have civilized neighbors. I know that is a relative term, but I think it pays to be the least civilized person around. My neighbors talk a lot, but they're scared of guns. That's to my advantage.

The key to the whole thing for me is getting into position beforehand so I don't feel compelled to leave or go anywhere. I know my own territory a lot better than I would know some new place where there would already be people not happy to see me arrive as a refugee. I'm much more vulnerable on the move compared to in my own place. This is all predicated on my belief that an economic depression doesn't mean everyone goes crazy or everyone dies. It means a time of disruption and hardship. You can really never do enough and I don't consider myself completely prepared for every eventuality. Even if I did everything perfectly, there's still a chance the satellite would fall on my head.

The basic philosophy is to buy your batteries before the lights go out. I figure if things get weird, I can handle it for awhile.

Imagine how large Mega cities are, millions within one city, know imagine this millions of people suddenly no electricity, also these people are mostly unaware of reality, they believe what they are told ( sheeple) know it is 3 days into no electricity they are not prepared because they are unaware, they are hungry, many are sick, and so on, know imagine the mass death which will occur if earth looses electricity for just 3 days.
I feel good about where I live, 150 miles to the nearest large city, about 26 miles to the nearest small city. Hughe lake, plenty of fishign ability, hunting is ripe where i am. I feel semi safe. A bug out scenerio cna be anything...nuke, alien invasion, virus epidemic, it would all depend on the situation. Peace

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
After our oldest child finished high school and a vocational school last year, we bugged out of the city, bought a simple brick house with a huge tornado shelter and acreage far away from any major metropolitan area (nearest large town is 90 miles away, the population of that town is a whopping 100,000), and started storing up food and water.

I think that people who are in the city should have a bug-out place already picked out. Maybe a friend or a relative who lives in the country and has agreed that you can go there if you bring some food, weapons, etc. Our particular community has quite a few families who are ready to start a self-sufficient community in case of disaster. There are lots of farms and livestock out here, we won't go hungry.

My husband and I are typically loners, but in case of societal breakdown, it pays to have a group of people with a common goal. One lone family may have trouble fending off intruders who want supplies, but a group of people defending each other would work much better. Perhaps those in cities and suburbs can connect with their neighbors who are like-minded for a "just-in-case" scenario. Talk to your neighbors, you may be surprised how many feel the same as you do!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
After our oldest child finished high school and a vocational school last year, we bugged out of the city, bought a simple brick house with a huge tornado shelter and acreage far away from any major metropolitan area (nearest large town is 90 miles away, the population of that town is a whopping 100,000), and started storing up food and water.

I think that people who are in the city should have a bug-out place already picked out. Maybe a friend or a relative who lives in the country and has agreed that you can go there if you bring some food, weapons, etc. Our particular community has quite a few families who are ready to start a self-sufficient community in case of disaster. There are lots of farms and livestock out here, we won't go hungry.

My husband and I are typically loners, but in case of societal breakdown, it pays to have a group of people with a common goal. One lone family may have trouble fending off intruders who want supplies, but a group of people defending each other would work much better. Perhaps those in cities and suburbs can connect with their neighbors who are like-minded for a "just-in-case" scenario. Talk to your neighbors, you may be surprised how many feel the same as you do!

What made you guy move away. Was it the thought if impending collapse?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The term "bug out" would seem to imply there is some where to go.

I have spent the past seven years in preparation for the time when the SHTF, so I say let it come.

I have food stored up and room to grow my own.

I have alternate energy sources online and using them.

I have water stored and two wells from which to draw more when needed.

I hsve set up defensive positions for my protection.

So let it come!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by hdutton
The term "bug out" would seem to imply there is some where to go.

I have spent the past seven years in preparation for the time when the SHTF, so I say let it come.

I have food stored up and room to grow my own.

I have alternate energy sources online and using them.

I have water stored and two wells from which to draw more when needed.

I hsve set up defensive positions for my protection.

So let it come!

im in the same boad. I think the Defensive postions will be set up once things start to fall. We have stockpiles of fences, barbwire, and cenderblocks. I need to make an order for some sand bags as well. We have everything in place but the defenses.

defenses are last things to go up. you dont want people looking at you funny when you have a fenced compound with search lights, fox holes, pill boxes, and towers on your property. lol

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
sometimes its more fun to be in the mob, enjoy the ride. why hid, the game is more fun in the center of the heat. no man is an island, p.s. i see the great crisis that Neitizsce saw, the nihilistic one, if your interested check out the videos on youtube called "the madmen" by him, something to think about.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
what is "bugging out"?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by gossipnancy
what is "bugging out"?

Run like a bug running for its life. It is the land version of abandon ship. You drop everything and run with just the clothes on your back and what little you can carry with little or no plans to every return to that location.
Run for your life.

www.merriam-webster.com...
edit on 9/27/2011 by fixer1967 because: spelling

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Just a guess here, but a good time to be ready would be in January of 2018.

But there are options in the works on that one....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join