It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When will be the right time to bug out?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Just today we had a Trader on the BBC saying collapse is near. This allow scares me because he is publicizing a collapse and once the panic starts there is no turning back.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

With that said, what is your queue to hit the road and bug out? This topic is one I ask myself all the time and try to find answers to. Because let’s face it. If SHTF and your located in a city or suburbia, you need to get the heck out!

There are those that argue they can hold up at home and fend off the hordes of zombies as I like to call them, referring to waves of starving and thirsty people, broken to the verge of insanity, but I disagree. If we are talking long term survival, how are you going to replenish your food stocks? What if this economic collapse lasts for 10 years? What are you going to do then? And let’s say you do have that 10 year supply of food and water, how are you going to protect it? You can say you’re going to be Rambo and fight off everyone but that’s unrealistic. What’s realistic is expecting a “zombie” aka, desperate person, to throw a flaming Molotov cocktail at your house and you losing everything because you refused to help him. We each have our own ideas on what we are going to do when the SHTF and holding up at home is not one of them for me.

So back to my original question, When will be the right time to bug out in an economic collapse of society? If you’re like me and your retreat is 4 hour drive away, without traffic, you’re going to need a head start. And I am talking realistically, like drop everything, don’t go to work, say good bye to everything, time to get out of dodge. Well, I don’t have an answer for you but I think I have some ideas.

I would have to say the number one queue for me to start making final preparations would be the start of bank runs, people running to banks to pull money out, and large bank lines because of that reason.

Another thing to look for will be increasing riots. We are slowly starting to see this escalade with the recent introduction to flash mobs, flash mobs is when a gang of 20+ people run into a store and steal whatever they can get their hands on and run out. Once you start hearing mob/riot updates on your radio like it was the top of the hour traffic up date, it’s time to start making final preparations.

The queue for time to leave town would be a large bank like bank of America going under. I don’t want to get into the economics of it right now but if BofA goes under, you can say hello to inflation and hyperinflation due to the trillions of deposits the FDIC will have to cover and physically cannot. They will have to go to the Federal Reserve to get freshly minted cash to hold good on their deposit insurance that is mandated by law.

I feel once this happens you will see inflation and hyperinflation start hitting the markets fast! I for see after this point food shortages, supply, and gas shortages. If your still in town to witness these, I fear it will make things more difficult to bug out.

So now I would like to throw the ball in your court. What will be signs you would look for to tell you its time to bug out?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
the time to bug out is always before you do. its always a case if I had done this earlier.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doublemint
the time to bug out is always before you do. its always a case if I had done this earlier.

your a fast reader, you read all that in one min..... wow

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Originally posted by Doublemint

your a fast reader, you read all that in one min..... wow

to answer your question I don't need to know your story

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
You ought to be in position by now. If you're asking the question, it's too late. Everyone who is concerned about this sort of thing ought already to be in a safe place, have a year's supply of food, a source of water, and be as self sufficient as possible, right now.

If you are wanting to buy a geiger counter after the nuke plant has blown, you're a day late and a dollar short. Good luck.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

i'm packing up -now-
got a hideout in coats rica.
muchco suerte amigo

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
You ought to be in position by now. If you're asking the question, it's too late. Everyone who is concerned about this sort of thing ought already to be in a safe place, have a year's supply of food, a source of water, and be as self sufficient as possible, right now.

If you are wanting to buy a geiger counter after the nuke plant has blown, you're a day late and a dollar short. Good luck.

Do you really think we have reached that point in time to leave everthing behind? what were the signs for you?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by p51mustang

i'm packing up -now-
got a hideout in coats rica.
muchco suerte amigo

I dont know if your trolling or being for real? if for real, where are you getting your water supply on a small over populated island? these are questions you need to ask yourself.
edit on 26-9-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Honestly, Camaro...

If, or when, I think a good time to "bug out" is simple...
When you've lost all forms of communication.
When the television goes blank...everywhere.
When the internet fails...completely.
When we lose power or water...for good.

That's the time I'd say to "bug out".

Other than that...to just leave your scenario with the crowd, is just acting like a lemming.
You don't need to join the masses of panicked people.
That would be insane, or just stupid.

For me, the time to panic is when there is no way to contact ANYONE.
If you panic too early and "jump the gun"...you are only making matters worse.

That's why you should keep a good eye of your surroundings.

There seriously is no good judge for the right time.
And you should be prepared already for anything!

Intuition will tell you when the "S" hits the fan.
Don't follow the crowds.

edit on 26-9-2011 by havok because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

you are exactly right.. currently im down from gila bend set to bug to costa rica.
i started a hideout there 4 years ago.
for radiation read-outs real time map see blackcat systems .com
i hope your hunker down does turn bug out .
adapt improvise overcome.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
Honestly, Camaro...

If, or when, I think a good time to but out is simple...
When you've lost all forms of communication.
When the television goes blank...
When the internet fails...
When we lose power or water...

That's the time I'd say to "bug out".

Other than that...to just leave your scenario with the crowd, is just acting like a lemming.
You don't need to join the masses of panicked people.
That would be insane, or just stupid.

For me, the time to panic is when there is no way to contact ANYONE.
If you panic too early and "jump the gun"...you are only making matters worse.

That's why you should keep a good eye of your surroundings.

There seriously is no good judge for the right time.

Intuition will tell you when the "S" hits the fan.
Don't follow the crowds.

ok, but if your in suburbia or a city and that all happens at once and everyone hits the road, your not going anywhere. I think your que to leave is to late. just my opinion. your now stuck in traffic with no means of fuelling up and things are grid locked

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

If you were that concerned...why didn't you move out of suburbia already?

My point is this:
Even in large cities, it will be tough.
But that's a personal decision that should've been made if the concern was that strong.
If you are that worried then you should've moved out years ago.

Not being harsh but just honest.

You are right though.

I feel bad for city slickers....

Well....not that bad.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Yeah I agree, when RobinMobs becomes the norm it's a good indication a home in a city is no longer safe. I stockpiled all kinds of food and a portable gravity fed water filtration system for when it's time to bug out. One day I decided to see if all of it could fit in my car and of course it couldn't so I had to rethink my Be Out Supplies. Now I'm stocked on fishing supplies and camping supplies mainly with a bit of rice stored because it keeps well and creates a great deal more food than the size it takes up.

I took all my stockpiled food and put it a water tight jobsite toolbox
And am currently considering taking it to my be out location or putting it in my garage attic so in case I can't make it outta the city for whatever reason I still have food stored discreetly.

It may sound stupid but my last sign of when it's time to leave for me will be Vesuvius Erupting or Pelee Erupting as Casey predicted. I think from that moment California has roughly 90 days before total destruction and Worse case scenario I will only have to brave the Sierra Nevada's for a few months before I feel it's safe to reconnect with society other than Radio transmissions. Time will tell

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

costa rica is not an island, the population is @ 4 million . my water comes straight out of the mountain side
into the talapia ponds of my neighbor the water commissioner. my water bill is 3 dollars a month.
i am near the diquis hydro electric project . living amongst the boruca indians. 10miles due east of playa tortuga over the maritima ridge.
there is no question in my mind.
pura vida amigo

edit on 26-9-2011 by p51mustang because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

costa rica is not an island, the population is @ 4 million . my water comes straight out of the mountain side
into the talapia ponds of my neighbor the water commissioner. my water bill is 3 dollars a month.
i am near the diquis hydro electric project . living amongst the boruca indians. 10miles due east of playa tortuga over the maritima ridge.

haha, i was think puerto rico. Nice, sounds like you have it all set up. so are you really leaving now or are you pulling my leg. If so, what was the trigger?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

there is no question in my mind.
pura vida amigo

edit on 26-9-2011 by p51mustang because: (no reason given)

^^^^^^^He's correct Costa Rica is not an Island and it is over abundant in fresh water and food. I spent quite a bit of time down there in neighboring country's and as long as the Pan-American land bridge doesn't collapse Costa Rica should be fine. My friend owns a few pieces of Islands down in Bocas Del Toro and the amount of food in the oceans and on land is INCREDIBLE!!! if I could obtain citizenship I'd be there today but Panama has a 3 month visitation limit so it's not possible for me at this time.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I think you are coming at this from the wrong angle. You are looking for something to push you I think it would be better if you made the decisision based on if you want to or not.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
NVM.

Flag anyway
edit on 9/26/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Barring some calamity that forces me to leave, I am a bug in kind of guy. Plus my job is one of those "critical" types, so I wouldnt leave.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
On the flipside to all of this, would it be a good idea to short the market or buy long something like the VIX and make a ton of money if/when the market tanks?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join