It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which decade do you think it was the best? 1990s, 2000s and this current decade?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
70's 80's and 90's had classic game hits(Pong, Donkey Kong, etc) but the 2000's video games have proven more technology and performance in their gameplay. Look how advanced the PC is. We can play Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 dead with 200s tech, etc.

We also had social site just in case we can get into contact instead of talking on the phone with each other. In that, we can also used social site to contact each other for work. In the 90s, they don't have that.

Anyone it's my opinion regardless of music, tech, etc.

What do you think was the best decade in terms of music, society, wars, etc for the USA?
edit on 26-9-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I'm gonna go ahead and cast my vote for the 60's, simply for the cars.

Muscle Cars, FTW

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
80s - HANDS DOWN

It was an area not only of cool, new and innovative music, but mostly what Stephen King once referred to as "Science Fiction" area.

The first home computers came out in the 80s, Space Shuttle, New Wave, Punks etc..etc...everything in the 80s felt awesome and exciting.

The 90s were "ok" in a sense that it brought music i really liked like techno/trance...but that's about it. In terms of excitement i don't think anything can beat the 80s.

edit on 26-9-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I will ignore nostalgia and realize that the decade of 2000 - 2010 (11) was the best because of the sole reason of the internet. At no other time was every conceivable piece of information available to us all, at the click of a button.
(yes i know the internet was around before then but trust me it wasn't the same when you were still looking up chat rooms with dos language)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I really love the topics this evening/morning (I must tear myself away!). Had to reply to this thread though because I just LOVED the 70's.

I was born in 58 so really I was a bit young to appreciate the 60's but it was still very much part of the atmosphere of the 70's in my opinion. I got to wear my hot pants then and my lace up boots, yes, white with the big fat heel. I loved the long hair on the guys and the fabulous bellbottoms and crochet boleros, the suede belts made up of circles and a tie finish. In those days it was quite cool to be cool and I think we were much cooler in the 70's then today. These young people today have all the gadgets unimaginable in the 70's but we had our wonderful vinyl singles from Woolworths and the fake ring section
We had the Triumph Dolomite Sprint ( whoa I loved that car) and we thought nothing of dancing on the tables in the youth club with our cup of orangeade and our dancing was totally crap in those days, all arms and legs with rhythms of their own. I loved the smell of summer and the whole vibe that buzzed about, it was a real new world being in the 70's as a teenager. I experimented with hair dye and MASCARA - whoo whoo, the Maybeline one that was blue with a big fat comb, lashes like spider legs.

I will never forget the 70's the great music, the musicians that gathered at the youth club and thumped out led zeplin and deep purple - and PURPLE - was,nt everything purple and smelling of Patchouli? Smock tops and sew on your own appliques (mine was an apple!) - I had my own transister radio and a reel to reel tape recorder what else do you need as a teenager in the 70's - living in bliss and ignorance has to be a wonderful decade !
We had powercuts but we had candles and we seemed to have each other and that was all that mattered.

Bring it all back today, I want it now!!
edit on 26-9-2011 by ELEVATOR7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

I had internet at school and home by 1997, probably half of students had internet in 1998 in my area in the US. The wild west days of the internet rocked

It's probably just a matter of when you were born of course, 60s were the best, 70s ect. 90s music seemed a lot more dynamic than 2000-2010's music.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I don't think my local radio stations give me a choice anymore.
It's going to be 90s Seattle grunge with a hint of pop, lady gaga, and 2000s teenie bop bubble gum wanna be rap.

I prefer a slice of every decade depending on my current mood, aren't we all like that though?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Most of you dont know but before the internet, texting devices, Video games and popular tv people actually got out of the house. They camped with the family, played sports, socialized and lived. Now its quite different as drive in's, camp grounds, and social spots are over grown with grass echoing a more innocent time.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
i just became a grandpa, so i have to say Now and the rest is gonna be great. Own my home and some property, semi-retired and out of my mind... Scary stuff happend all along the way but never was it boring or not entertaining to say the least.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
Most of you dont know but before the internet, texting devices, Video games and popular tv people actually got out of the house. They camped with the family, played sports, socialized and lived. Now its quite different as drive in's, camp grounds, and social spots are over grown with grass echoing a more innocent time.

You gotta keep it old school though. I still do all of those things, got campfires in my backyard even, but the kids have their media devices now and it definitely takes away from kick ball and hide and go seek time.

I hate those damned DS's! How many parents agree with me?
Can't get a kid to do anything longer than 10 minutes before they want to get back on those things.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Geeze, remember how easy it seemed... even with all the assasinations, Civil and fem rights, VietNam, Nixon, Reagan, Serial killers ect. somehow it still seemed okay... i can't figure out why it seemed okay yet still was just as messed up as it is now.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
even though i wasnt born till the 80s and so my personally fond memories are from the 80-90s,

i would have to say altruistically before vietnam war. because of what my parents been thru almost lost their lives like millions of others did cuz of nixon who paved the way for a downward spiral world of nasty and nastier ats truths to be uncovered..

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I wasn't alive then, but I would say 50s. My 'knowledge' is based mainly on the tv show Happy Days, the movie Grease, and what my grandma tells me about growing up.
It just seems like a more innocent time, where you could find a woman to love and spend your life with... a time it was easy to find a job, buy a house.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
I wasn't alive then, but I would say 50s. My 'knowledge' is based mainly on the tv show Happy Days, the movie Grease, and what my grandma tells me about growing up.
It just seems like a more innocent time, where you could find a woman to love and spend your life with... a time it was easy to find a job, buy a house.

What a sweet post - of course its also true to say that people were very optimistic as there had been two world wars and in the 50's it was a time of 're building' and people were so glad to be alive. Many houses were built in the 50's (housing estates) and some had their pre fabs which were just truly wonderful for them. I love your line about 'innocent times' because you are right really, it was a whole new world for people to build on and they were freeing themselves from much suppression and many dark days.

I really liked your post.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

The memories.

Now.....

Hey remember that time on that couch?.... o Nvm.l8rs

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
1990s hip hop

2000s advance in computing

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
im gonna go with the 90s. of course that was when i grew up and because the 90s seen the greatest leap in technology than any other decade before. the kids of the 90s witnessed the evolution of video games, Internet, you name it. it was a time right before technology invaded our pockets and daily lives. our social network was the park where all the neighborhood kids hung out. our massive multiplayer was hide and seek which we played in the woods where you got hurt and dirty having to much fun to care... the decade you grew up in will always be the best.
edit on 26-9-2011 by strafgod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by strafgod
the decade you grew up in will always be the best.
True true... so true.

Unless you had a bad dad where he made you wish you never were born

Lol sorry for the down turn lol.....

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

I had to agree, in the 1990s when i was a kid(born in 1992) my brother used to go out a lot. He was in high school at that time used to mess around a lot. He goes out a lot with his friends. Now he's old and go to work mostly he stays home and chat on this online service. He doesn't go out a lot. Times change. Somewhat in the 1990s everyone had kind of morals but not anymore because everyone seems to be immature nowadays.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

oh.. right i forgot to add the "bad dad" epidemic of the 90s.
lol

<<   2  3 >>

join