It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook tracks you even after logging out

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by badtaste87

They don't care if you quit facebook your just among the other undesirable. Your non existent in the eyes of your so-called big borther.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by HighMaintenance

Another trade secret. They change the website around for marketing advantages to see how best they can profit from their users. There is no conspiracy here.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by 7Over22

Damned right 7Over22.
An intelligence agency's dream tool.
Never mind the amount of fighting/affairs and other silliness it helps to facilitate.

Never seen the appeal,never joined.
What's wrong with a phone call/letter/e mail if you want a chat with friends?

Mind you-I do love it when idiot crimminals/gangsta's get busted for posting thier crimes on FB.
I do like to read about such goons.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

It's just ignorance of these people they don't have a willingness to learn anything or a willingness to accept change. It's all the same old news to them some very strange and twisted minds on this forum.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

In all honesty every household in the country is listed. Just because you delete your facebook account doesn't mean you've left the grid for good. Think about that.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Every site you visit tracks where you have been.No surprise there.

That's incorrect, and not entirely possible.

Cookies may only be read by the domain that wrote it in the first place. So, for example, it's not possible for code hosted by ATS to "see" the cookies on your computer written by other sites.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Not to worry,ATS does it also.

You're lying. "We" (ATS) has never done any such thing.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Highlander64

Have you ever considered they will have a backup of your old information. Even my sites do backups on the hour, every hour. Replacing you new data over your old data will not change a thing. But creative thinking you have a one point from me.

link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Cookies may only be read by the domain that wrote it in the first place. So, for example, it's not possible for code hosted by ATS to "see" the cookies on your computer written by other sites.

No, its entirely correct. They use _javascript to connect to 3rd party sites.

This site uses, google, quantcast, comscore, gorilla nation and scorecard research.

Its very easy to track you.

link   

Originally posted by kaleshchand
If the image is on the site you are on (as it is here) then they cannot track you. (unless you click that link to go to them that is).

The tracking can't happen on our link. We use a "pass-through" page that strips referral information so that inbound traffic to FB from ATS never appears to be from ATS.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaleshchand
If the image is on the site you are on (as it is here) then they cannot track you. (unless you click that link to go to them that is).

The tracking can't happen on our link. We use a "pass-through" page that strips referral information so that inbound traffic to FB from ATS never appears to be from ATS.

SO that is something I did not know.

Much appreciated!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I would like to ask the site owner now that he is here. There used to be moderators listed by usernames below each page of the thread. Why is it I cannot see their user names at the bottom of this thread? This comment is still within this topic of the OP as you happened to jump the bandwagon very quickly

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
i already knew this . i have a facebook account but its only for supporting the revolution movement, ron paul, 911 truth, end the fed and so on.

i know im on the 'List'. i stopped caring about it long time ago.

This isn't about what you do or don't do on facebook, its about Facebook's access to and recording of what you do anywhere else on the net that happens to have a FB widget. They peer into everything you do everywhere on the net. What do they plan on doing with that information? Your not even curious?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Posted on another site by a Facebook engineer.

www.broadbandreports.com...

I’m an engineer who works on login systems at Facebook. Thanks, again for raising these important issues. We haven’t done as good a job as we could have to explain our cookie practices. Your post presents a great opportunity for us to fix that. At the same time, your post reaches some incorrect conclusions that I hope to clarify.

Generally, unlike other major Internet companies, we have no interest in tracking people. We don’t have an ad network and we don’t sell people’s information. As we state in our help center (»www.facebook.com/help/?..., “We do not share or sell the information we see when you visit a website with a Facebook social plugin to third parties and we do not use it to deliver ads to you.”

Said more plainly, our cookies aren’t used for tracking. They just aren’t. Instead, we use our cookies to either provide custom content (e.g. your friend’s likes within a social plugin), help improve or maintain our service (e.g. measuring click-through rates to help optimize performance), or protect our users and our service (e.g. defending denial of service attacks or requiring a second authentication factor for a login from a suspicious location).

The logged out cookies, specifically, are used primarily for safety and security protections, including:
- Identifying and disabling spammers and phishers
- Disabling registration if an underage user tries to re-register with a different birth date
- Helping people recover hacked accounts
- Powering account security features, such as login approvals and notifications
- Identifying shared computers to discourage the use of “Keep me logged in.”

Most of the cookies that you highlight have benign names and values. For example, the “locale” cookie is simply user’s language and country. I do understand some of the confusion around the ‘act’ and ‘lu’ cookies. The poorly named ‘act’ cookie is a UNIX timestamp with milliseconds and a sequence number that we use to measure and optimize the speed of the site (‘act’ is an abbreviation for “action”). We use the ‘lu’ cookie to identify public computers and discourage the checking of the keep me logged in box. On single user computers, we use the ‘lu’ cookie to prefill your facebook e-mail address on the login screen if you have *not* explicitly logged out.

We also maintain a cookie association between accounts and browsers. This is a key element of our phishing protections. However, contrary to your article, we do delete account-specific cookies when a user logs out of Facebook. As a result, we do not receive personally identifiable cookie information via HTTP Headers when these users browse the web.

Finally, we’ve confirmed that we don’t, and never have, used cookies to suggest friends. If you send us the user IDs of the test accounts you created, I’m happy to investigate further.

Again, my apologies that your previous concerns were not addressed. Since your reports, we’ve introduced a bug bounty program to streamline and reward whitehat security reports (»www.facebook.com/note.p.... I hope this more secure and reliable channel will be useful for you. We really hope you’ll continue to let us know about issues you see.

I hope these clarifications were helpful. Please let me know if you’d like to discuss further.

edit on 26-9-2011 by Realtruth because: Add link

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Every site you visit tracks where you have been.No surprise there.

That's incorrect, and not entirely possible.

It is just this sort of lies and dissinformation (The quoted text, not what Skeptic wrote) whic is rife in this thread. Everyone is so paranoid about all this information which is being collected. And I have asked time and againwithout answer what on earth I could possibly have to worry abuot, and yet no one can answer me. Everyone goes on about the big bad FB but can't tell me why I should worry too. They just keep saying "Ih but they know everything about you" and they don't of course, but even if they did, how does this harm me or cost me any money, or impinge on my health or my ability to go about my daily business? It does not is the answer. This is a storm in a tea cup is the answer.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
No, its entirely correct. They use _javascript to connect to 3rd party sites.
This site uses, google, quantcast, comscore, gorilla nation and scorecard research.

But the parent domain (abovetopsecret.com) has no idea what the third parties are seeing or recording.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Do the domains operate the same way as a parent company. In the sense you have the parent company that remains the main owner and has the final say, but then a corporation is made and breaks off from the parent company so now the parent company has 90% knowledge over the corporation company depending on how the company is divided?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
well if this is true then I propose an amendment to the bill of rights stating, that no person, persons or company shall divulge information concerning an everyday citizen on the internet to anyone else, without the express permission of said person, and if the information in question is being sold, the person to whom it regards, gets a share of the money.

then lets see what happens with all the pop-ups and adds about stuff you looked at online 2 minutes ago, or spam emails and such.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Kingbreaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

read THIS carefuly
online.wsj.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

cookies CAN actually track and send your browsing habits.
Simple example:

Lots of people use the facebook app on their desktops, thus, opening wide the cookie folder for the app, to snoop and read your browsing habit

Its even easier with java

And concerning ATS, i would be worried ,because your security filter is clearly OUTDATED

edit on 26-9-2011 by AnonymousVan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Bootom line is if you arent doing anything wrong then you have nothing to hide or worry about.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join