It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook tracks you even after logging out

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

In the latest versions of FF and Chrome just use "Private Browsing" feature. No need for add-ons anymore, privacy is built right in.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Part of me is thinking about the current popular view of old people who shred everything in case somebody steals their identity .... how many has that happened to ?

Another part of me says I don't want those fb barstewards stalking me, so I best delete the account.

But What if in 10 or 20 years (I wont last 20 years) I'm the butt of jokes about old folk

decisions, decisions ...

Does anyone know if I go through fb and delete each individuaal post and picture first, and then delete the account will that remove everything from fb, or will they still have a copy somewhere ?

I just realised I already shred everything

edit on 26-9-2011 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Highlander64

I deactivated my FB account last week. One reason was the new news ticker, the other was that over the last month, I started getting alerts that strangers I had never met, or worse, clients of mine I would never "Friend" had accepted MY friend requests! So basically FB had sent out friend requests without my knowledge. I had Defcon 5 lockdown on my privacy settings, so I have no idea what that was all about, and my primary email account that I use is a junk email account with no contact info on IRL friends. I researched the involuntary friend requests and no one knows what caused it...a glitch in the matrix I suppose....www.tagsurfer.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
wow this thread has grown overnight

as OP I would like to thank everyone for their great ideas and input over the past few pages and quite a good read

I have actually never joined FB but my wife and kids and relatives all use it like 3+ times a day and they put way too much personal information on there

however, for them, especially the kids, it seems they are the "I-gen" types who see this as a normal part of their world; and it would seem they either do not understand the rights they are having exploited or they do not care

and this being a conspiracy site, how can we think our kids and the other millions of FB users will not be exposed to the NWO and their agenda when they so easily become 'early adopters' of this kind of technology - it makes it so easy to move the masses along the path they have laid out, believing they have done it all themselves and were never influenced at all

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks Skeptic - have you had a chance to review the blog by Nik Cubrilovic? He gives examples o fthe code the FB cookies are creating

nikcub-cache.appspot.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I got talked into a facebook account due to relatives posting information there. I don't log in every week and every time I don't, facebook sends me an email message reminding me. I keep thinking what an annoying web site every time they send those messages. Some of my nieces are into facebook big time. They are wearing bikinis and looking good. I do wonder when messages are posted, who all can read them? It could be anyone I guess. I originally set up an account with an incorrect birth day and name and emailed facebook telling them to cancel and close the account. I didn't check to see if it was still there for months. It was still there.

I assume all web sites have tracking cookies and can tell where you've been recently and even what screen you're looking at on their web site and maybe even where your mouse cursor is at while on their site. I periodically delete all cookies and history on my pc.
edit on 26/9/11 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by semicolonsmile
Another thing that facebook does that I find rather sketchy is this: If you use facebook mobile, or do anything on facebook with your phone, it posts your phone number on your profile without asking your permission. Then, if you have an android device with the facebook app(not sure about iphone), you automatically have everyone's phone number that has ever used facebook mobile stored in the contacts section of your phone.

Not that I mind being able to randomly drunk dial old high school acquaintances.

That is just untrue.

I use the android app and neither of the two things you state above have happened to me.

Why do people spread these parnoid untruths arround?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
actually it IS true. i found everyone on my friends list's phone numbers when i went on my deleting rampage. i literally stumbled in to that section of my facebook account by accident, but was shocked that everyone's number was there. once you use your mobile phone it places your number in a list. here is instructions for removing it (dunno how good these instructions are now with all the changes FB has rolled out)

howto.cnet.com...

ETA: i never once voluntarily added my number on facebook. but when i used my mobile phone to connect to facebook, it automatically listed my number. i had NO IDEA it would do that.

edit on 26-9-2011 by highpriestess because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by highpriestess

Well, you got me intereted. So I checked. I have used Android to connect to FB using the FB app and also just the built in web browser, on many occasions. I do it regularly.

I have checked my FB account and there is not trace of my mobile number anywhere on there.
There is not list of my friends mobile numbers that I can find.
My wife has checked from her account (As my friend on FB) and she can find no trace of my telephone number either.

So for me at least, what you state has not happpened. I just checked it.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

ETA: I just found the section and yes, there are phone numbers from friends listed on my profile page. Both use iPhones, so this may be an iPhone syncing feature. Interesting...

My number is not showing up (I have accessed FB using mobile web) but never registered my number to use mobile uploads... I'm guessing that if it's not a syncing issue, then it's the other...
edit on 26-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
if what the poster above me is saying is correct, than that would explain mine situation, i uploaded photos from my phone to my facebook all the time. i do not have a phone that has "apps" - no 4g, no touch screen, none of that. i had to picture message my pics to facebook, and when i connected to facebook on my phone is was mobile web, not an app, but actually connecting my phone to mobile web and then going to facebook on my phone's browser. but, by initiating that, it activated that contacts list and all my friends who had their numbers on FB (whether they knew it or not) were listed in a huge contact list. blew my mind.

i do not have an android, so i cannot say how that works. and the instructions on this page i gave you seems to be for an iphone. but, i just wanted to say that the poster you responded to was not just stating some paranoid rumor.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
thanks ladies

- it seems the best way to totally destroy your online privacy would be using an iphone on FB, by the looks of it

be careful then - I am reminded here in Australia we have had many people make headlines for being terminated from their job because their boss or HR dept went through their twitter/FB/myspace account and found some rashly spoken words about their job or boss etc

As pre many of our contributors in this thread, if we are silly enough to share all that online we can't complain if it comes back to bite us

more snippets from the main article

"The question is what it will take for Facebook to address privacy issues and to give their users the tools required to manage their privacy and to implement clear policies - not pages and pages of confusing legal documentation, and 'logout' not really meaning 'logout'."

The office of the Australian Privacy Commissioner has been approached for comment.

The findings come after technology industry observer Dave Winer declared Facebook was scaring him because the new interface for third-party developers allows them to post items to your Facebook timeline without your intervention. This has been dubbed "frictionless sharing".

Meanwhile, Facebook's Timeline feature, which shows users a timeline of their activity on the site throughout the years, has not officially been switched on but many are using it already. Instructions can be found here.

But inadvertently or by design, the Timeline feature also lets people see which users had "unfriended" them by following a few simple steps:

1. Enable the new Timeline feature.
2. Pick a year in the timeline and locate the Friends box.
3. Click on "Made X New Friends".
4. Scroll through the list and when you see an "Add Friend" box, those are the people either you have unfriended or vice-versa.

However, it appears Facebook has now disabled this function, describing it to gadget blog Gizmodo as a "bug".

Read more: www.smh.com.au...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by Shamatt

ETA: I just found the section and yes, there are phone numbers from friends listed on my profile page. Both use iPhones, so this may be an iPhone syncing feature. Interesting...

My number is not showing up (I have accessed FB using mobile web) but never registered my number to use mobile uploads... I'm guessing that if it's not a syncing issue, then it's the other...

yeah, the place it stores them is not real in your face, you have to kind of dig around to find it - but it is there. frickin' slick, isn't it?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by highpriestess

Would never have found it without that link you posted - even then it was difficult because of the new format...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Lady - i did register mine so that i could get that email addy to upload photos to, so i bet you are right... that is when it activated that part of my account. and with the iphone it is a synching thing, the instructions on the link i posted says you must turn synching off
thanks for your input and helping me explain this better. I appreciate it

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I am going into town in a moment. I will test it again.

For the record I am using a SonyEricson Xperia x10 mini pro, and I have uploaded pictures to my FB account using it. I use rthe Android App for FB.

I will upload and connect a bit from town today and go over my account when I get home. If you could point me to other places to check in FB than the obvious Edit Profile that would help.

I'll report back what I find

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jason88
reply to post by RSF77

In the latest versions of FF and Chrome just use "Private Browsing" feature. No need for add-ons anymore, privacy is built right in.

You aware of lso's?
en.wikipedia.org...

If you have adobe flash installed on your computer... private mode does nothing from a tracking point of view.
Read the section on Privacy concerns, they're commonly called 'zombie cookies' for that reason.

There is a great firefox addon for managing them: addons.mozilla.org...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt

I will upload and connect a bit from town today and go over my account when I get home. If you could point me to other places to check in FB than the obvious Edit Profile that would help.

I'll report back what I find

I got there by the following: (there are probably other ways)

Friends link (left column of the page, under your profile picture) > Edit Friends tab (top right corner) or depending where you start it could say Manage Friends List instead > Contacts link (left column of the page)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by kdog1982
Not to worry,ATS does it also.

You're lying. "We" (ATS) has never done any such thing.

Ok,ATS is not doing it,but your advertisers are.
For example,when I'm searching on the web,then I log on to ATS,I will get an ad from a site I have visited.
Is this not true?
If I am wrong,I apologize.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamatt

i am not sure anymore, since i deleted facebook. try the way Lady suggested and if not also look here: click on "find friends" and once there click on the link "manage imported contacts" under that first little section that says "add personal contacts as friends"

i really wish i would have made a note to myself on how to get there, but facebook changes so much i don't know if it would even matter if I had.

edit on 27-9-2011 by highpriestess because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join