It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One week and the World will have Cold Fusion - Oh really?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Update on Andrea Rossi & the eCat "Cold Fusion" Device.

Anyone who is not familiar with Rossi and his scheme, can get the groundwork in a few older threads.

The basic breakdown of this story, is that early this year Andrea Rossi came out center stage with a machine he says produces more energy than you put in, in the form of steam. There have been a number of promises/insinuations that this will revolutionize the world in regards to energy production.

Most of the press that Rossi receives is from either peswiki, pesn or NyTeknik.

Peswiki is described as:

"PESWiki is guided by the New Energy Congress, a network of 50+ energy professionals who are dedicated to clean energy technology advancement."

PESN is described as:

"Reporting on free energy news developments from around the world, with emphasis on non-expendible power sources and earth friendly devices."

NyTeknik is described as:

"Ny Teknik ("New Technology") is a weekly Swedish newspaper with news, debates and ads in the field of technology and engineering."

Since early this year, Rossi has been promising a 1MW plant by October. If you check the calendar, you will notice that is just a week away. The eCat saga, continues...

With the upcoming, planned release of the eCat, Mats Lewan, a staff writer at NyTeknik traveled to see the eCat in person and report back his findings.

Mats Lewan is a staff writer at Ny Teknik, Stockholm, Sweden. Mats Lewan holds a Master of Science in Engineering Physics from the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden.

Media Release of the trip here.

Report here.

Detailed report here.

Video of the "1MW plant" below:

The detailed report from Mats is probably the only reporting on this worth reading. Found here. As it is the best source of information from the people that are reporting on it devoid of hype. To date, the measurements taken on the eCat have been substandard. The machine has not been peer reviewed, and everyone that has looked into it, seems to have been taken on ride by Rossi.

Rossi has strict limitations on what analysis he will let be preformed on the eCat. Right now, there is rumor that he will let NASA test it. But I don't hold much weight to that, because he has already misrepresented his relationship with NASA, and has rejected a number of offers to test his device. Although, rumors like this must be good for investor confidence.*

Back to the Mats'...

If you take a look through it, you will notice the same inadequate analysis that has been provided by everyone who has taken a look at the eCat.

I will repost a few lines from the report, and you will notice right away the inadequacies.

Supposedly this Ecat needs 10 minutes of full power electric input after every 30 minutes of self sustaining operation, for stability reasons, in the worst case.

It does, does it? So Rossi can't covert just a little of this steam to feed it back into a closed system? Why not? 1 year of elaborate demonstrations, and nothing along those lines....

Vaporization
Steam quality was not measured.

You don't say...

There is always an "out" on the reporting. An admission by the observers for them to cover themselves depending on how this turns out. I just can't believe people have pushed for more detailed study on this. I guess we find the out come in a week (Not really, this stuff drags on forever).

On a lighter note:

Rossi is now taking donations...

Andrea Rossi has been quite open about the financial challenges he has been facing lately, particularly following the split with Defkalion Green Technologies which took place after they were apparently unable to meet contractual financial obligations.

So much for not charging any money until this is proven with a 1MW plant like Rossi said in the beginning...

I am assuming all the risks. No one is risking any money except me,” said the Italian engineer Andrea Rossi “I get paid (by Defkalion) only when the installation is delivered and if it works. I do not want people to spend any money until I have started and tested my one-megawatt plant,” said Rossi.

Seems a lot of the articles out there that conflict with the changing story are disappearing...

Conspiracy?

So now that Rossi is broke, and on the verge of saving the world, I encourage anyone who believes in this to send some donations his way.

I'm going to keep my cash for some good ol' gasoline at the pump. Expensive as hell these days, but hey, what you gonna do... Create Cold Fusion??

edit on 24-9-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Hmmm. Coleman coolers covered in Duct tape, some spare wiring and plumbing scavenged from abandoned houses and a small sea land van (Probably the biggest expense), a couple of fans to make humming noises.

While the theory has merit. I think he’s scamming people.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by boncho

Hmmm. Coleman coolers covered in Duct tape, some spare wiring and plumbing scavenged from abandoned houses and a small sea land van (Probably the biggest expense), a couple of fans to make humming noises.

While the theory has merit. I think he’s scamming people.

I'm pretty sure he claims to have spent half a million on those Coleman coolers.

Probably could have got the same result with spinning magnets.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I did not wacth all the video but I love all the free energy devices ware thay make more energy than thay put in. then why do you need the power cord going in??? get it going then unplug it, but it will never happen anybody that comes up with that will be bought out or killed

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

There are detractors, primarily science journalist Steve Krivit. He’s a longtime follower of the cold fusion/LENR scene and is quick to point out it’s not “real” fusion.

They're calling it an "Energy Catalyzer" ,while the media and enthusiasts are calling it Cold fusion..

...but its not an actual cold fusion reaction.

Physicists from Sweden say “the used powder is different in that several elements are present, mainly 10 percent copper and 11 percent iron. The isotopic analysis through ICP-MS doesn’t show any deviation from the natural isotopic composition of nickel and copper.”

wattsupwiththat.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Much of our nuclear physics was learned studying collisions of particles with energies of tens of keV with solid targets or other particles. There is no reason to assume that what happens at 100keV is what happpens at 3eV, a difference of 5 orders of magnitude, yet that is exactly what some in the physics community are doing.
Rossi's device should be considered a LENR device. LENR describes weak nuclear force interactions that we have not really studied in detail. See the Widom-Larsen theory in Eur. Phys. J.C. (2006) as an example. The theory requires no suspension of any physical laws as 'heavy electrons' are allowed by QED in fields of 10eV/ Angstrom. The term 'cold fusion' connotes the circus surrounding the electrolysis experiments of Fleischmann and Pons and the knee-jerk condemnation of the work by some in the physics community but fusion may be a small part of what is actually occurring.
Of course, dogma rules and the hot fusion community couldn't accept that two chemists with a battery, a beaker, and borrowed palladium had bested them. Some even wrote books condemning the pair without trying to understand the phenomenon. Those folks, deficient in imagination and scientific curiousity, will soon be explaining what they 'really meant' by spinning their previous comments when they are shown to have failed as scientists.
Over the last few years, more and more evidence of these reactions has been accumulating. Whether Rossi, Piantelli, Mills, or someone else actually commercializes the technology is uncertain but it will be developed and commercialized in our lifetimes.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

Mills has created vacuum energy, as in, he has created a vacuum that sucks up investor funds without producing a return. And Rossi fails to publish, attempt to publish or collaborate with people so his work can be verified.

I'm sorry, but if I was sitting on something so revolutionary I would devise a plan to have it taken seriously and released.

These people fail to do so.

I know the standard conspiracy is that oil companies are trying to suppress everything. But it doesn't meld well with reality. Why spend all the time and effort into trying to improve safety off standard nuclear reactions when there is something so much easier lying around? There are groups of engineers worldwide that spend the majority of their time trying to refine energy creation, reduce pollution and increase safety and efficiency while reducing cost.

If the eCat worked as Rossi says it does, I don't think there would be anything out there as cost efficient.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mystic Technician

The isotopes Rossi claims to create during his stated reaction implies Cold Fusion (if I remember correctly.) But yes, he doesn't call it Cold Fusion.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The fuel will cost less than 20% the cost of coal, currently the least expensive fuel on a BTU basis, and use only 1-5% of nickel production. Interestingly, the unused Ni isotopes can be recovered and used in stainless alloys as always. Prices will fluctuate at first as people acquire long term supplies of Ni but after an initial rush, things should stabilize. It is entirely likely that other metals will also be active.
A major advantage of this technology is that it would not require infrastructure changes and strand assets like solar and wind power would but would just replace heat sources in existing plants.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
reply to post by boncho

The fuel will cost less than 20% the cost of coal, currently the least expensive fuel on a BTU basis, and use only 1-5% of nickel production. Interestingly, the unused Ni isotopes can be recovered and used in stainless alloys as always. Prices will fluctuate at first as people acquire long term supplies of Ni but after an initial rush, things should stabilize. It is entirely likely that other metals will also be active...

According to Rossi...

If it gets tested somewhere I will shut up. But until then, I don't put much stock into this scheme.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by pteridine
reply to post by boncho

The fuel will cost less than 20% the cost of coal, currently the least expensive fuel on a BTU basis, and use only 1-5% of nickel production. Interestingly, the unused Ni isotopes can be recovered and used in stainless alloys as always. Prices will fluctuate at first as people acquire long term supplies of Ni but after an initial rush, things should stabilize. It is entirely likely that other metals will also be active...

According to Rossi...

If it gets tested somewhere I will shut up. But until then, I don't put much stock into this scheme.

It is good to be skeptical. Many scientists are aware of the phenomenon and are working in the shadows because of the way Fleischmann and Pons were treated. It is worse in the US as Europe and Asia are open to the idea and will not disregard the data out of hand. The oil companies don't want to supress the technology because they can't; they want to be a part of it because it is the future. They know that they have a few decades as the world transitions to the new technology and they have so much money that they can buy in early.
Rossi says that Nickel works best but others have discovered that other metals also work. As the technology is developed, they will also be explored. It appears that the metal has to dissolve significant quantities of atomic hydrogen as proton-electron pairs. Any catalyst chemist can list them: Ni, Pd, Pt, Nb, Ti and others come to mind.
Rossi will run a large scale demo sometime in October and we will hope for an unequivocal experiment. Piantelli is also moving forward and holds many patents on the Ni-H system. Unfortunately, Mills is stuck with a plasma that is easily quenched.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Looks like October 6th is going to be quite interesting:

On October 6 we will have the opportunity to make a long (more then 12 hours) test of one of the modules of the Rossi 1 MW generator. The module will be opened to us and we will have the opportunity to verify volumes and weights of the internal components. Heat measurements will be done condensing all the steam produced in heat exchanger and a secondary circuit where no water will be vaporized. This is NOT an official test of the University of Bologna because the contract is not active yet. Brian Josephson
source
Brian David Josephson

new topics

top topics

join