It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Falling satellite chunk may hit Canada, other locations within hours

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I thought they said we weren't in the path ?


WASHINGTON - The biggest piece of U.S. space junk to fall in 30 years is taking aim at a vast span of territory that includes Canada, Australia and Africa as well as plenty of open ocean, NASA said Friday.

The latest data showed the debris re-entry is expected between 8:45 p.m. and 9:45 p.m.Friday, Sept. 23.

The U.S. space agency stressed there was a "very remote" risk to the public from the 26 fragments of the Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite (UARS) expected to survive the fiery re-entry into the atmosphere.

The latest data showed the debris could re-enter Earth's atmosphere between 11 p.m. Friday and 3 a.m. Saturday ET, according to NASA.

"During that time period, the satellite will be passing over Canada, Africa and Australia, as well as vast areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans. The risk to public safety is very remote," the agency added in an update.

Read more: www.vancouversun.com...


Vancouver Sun




posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by violet
 


Discussion here
edit on 23-9-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Latest update:

As of 10:30 p.m. EDT on Sept. 23, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 85 miles by 90 miles (135 km by 140 km). Re-entry is expected between 11:45 p.m. Friday, Sept. 23, and 12:45 a.m., Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time (3:45 a.m. to 4:45 a.m. GMT).

During that time period, the satellite will be passing over Canada and Africa, as well as vast areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans. The risk to public safety is very remote.

www.nasa.gov...



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I live in the country in Saskatchewan, Canada. I will be outside with my camera. If I catch it on video I will post it, if it crashes with driving distance, I will be taking a piece of it.

edit on 23-9-2011 by superman2012 because: grammar



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by violet
I thought they said we weren't in the path ?


WASHINGTON - The biggest piece of U.S. space junk to fall in 30 years is taking aim at a vast span of territory that includes Canada, Australia and Africa as well as plenty of open ocean, NASA said Friday.

The latest data showed the debris re-entry is expected between 8:45 p.m. and 9:45 p.m.Friday, Sept. 23.

The U.S. space agency stressed there was a "very remote" risk to the public from the 26 fragments of the Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite (UARS) expected to survive the fiery re-entry into the atmosphere.

The latest data showed the debris could re-enter Earth's atmosphere between 11 p.m. Friday and 3 a.m. Saturday ET, according to NASA.

"During that time period, the satellite will be passing over Canada, Africa and Australia, as well as vast areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans. The risk to public safety is very remote," the agency added in an update.

Read more: www.vancouversun.com...


Vancouver Sun

Violet...everyone has been speculating on this.... yes it passed over us last night but has missed us today...do I think it will hit BC?...no...we have had several wobbly orbits due to solar activity but the 'window is being narrowed down now as we speak and I am sure Nasa are pretty clued up or certainly getting closer to prediction...You can go look at the many threads on this today and also look at the tracking sites...I live in BC and it has missed us several times now and as it gets closer it's orbit gets faster and tighter....
websites spaceflight.com etc and track it.....have a great night...we will be safe



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
I live in the country in Saskatchewan, Canada. I will be outside with my camera. If I catch it on video I will post it, if it crashes with driving distance, I will be taking a piece of it.

edit on 23-9-2011 by superman2012 because: grammar


oh oh oh wanna grab me a piece ill pay for shipping =D



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by violet
 
here in Australia is the perfect landing site just look at sky lab . no warning ! as long as it doesent land on my shed and wipe out all my metal music \m/.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I'm in sudbury ontsrio but its raining here so I cant see the fireballs but I just heard what sounded like multiple impacts. I felt the vibrstions of something for sure. In the other thread there was hints at it hitting quebec which is less then the 800km strike zone from here.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I just saw a "shooting star" while stargazing in my family's hot tub. I am currently in the Denver area.
It happened at about 10:50 pm to 11 pm mtn time.
Could this be from the satellite?
It was a small bright bluish flash....like a shooting star, not a BIG fireball



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
Latest update:

As of 10:30 p.m. EDT on Sept. 23, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 85 miles by 90 miles (135 km by 140 km). Re-entry is expected between 11:45 p.m. Friday, Sept. 23, and 12:45 a.m., Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time (3:45 a.m. to 4:45 a.m. GMT).

During that time period, the satellite will be passing over Canada and Africa, as well as vast areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans. The risk to public safety is very remote.

www.nasa.gov...


thanks i couldnt help but notice they took all real time feeds off-line once it reached 150km altitude

wonder why



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Dear Nasa how did you lose a 7ton sat that you own...yet america claims it can track a missile smaller then this...WTF MAN! its the size of a damn school bus!



new topics

top topics



 
1

log in

join