It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rant: Stupid questions.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I am typing this on 23/09/11. I was just looking through old photo albums from when I was in high school and old memories came back from when I was in class and alot of people put their hands up and asked stupid questions that are off-topic like one person said "Why is the sky blue?" why do you need to know that? It's not exactly going to get you a job in the future, unless you need to know the answer to Why is the sky blue, Or why is the sea blue? do you need to know that for a good job in the future? that's just my opinion but if you think its a MUST HAVE for a qualification that's up to you, but I'm just saying.

What do you think?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by KnIghtWytchh

This is how you respond to a stupid answer:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

"Why is the sky blue?" is one of the questions thrown to Clifford Stoll at his doctoral dissertation defense for a PhD in astronomy. He would answer the question, then the same professor would say, "Can you be more specific?" the idea, I think, was to see if Stoll actually knew what he was talking about. It is a kind of standard question that may be asking more than you may think. Taken out of context or asked in a smart a$$ fashion, the question makes no sense, but in the right place, it may make you think just a little harder.
edit on 9/23/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by rstregooski

This is how you respond to a stupid answer:

Thats brilliant!
What movie is this?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Sometimes, people seek knowledge even when there is no monetary gain. I know, it's absurd.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
There's never a stupid question.
Only stupid answers.

And if young people don't get good answers to questions, they might just get them from the counter-culture.
The Beatles - Because.
Because the sky is blue it makes me cry.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
There are no stupid questions.

Only stupid answers.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Education shouldn't be about just getting a job.

That's just wage slave conditioning, not education.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

So true.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rocket88

Billy Madison...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by KnIghtWytchh
I am typing this on 23/09/11. I was just looking through old photo albums from when I was in high school and old memories came back from when I was in class and alot of people put their hands up and asked stupid questions that are off-topic like one person said "Why is the sky blue?" why do you need to know that? It's not exactly going to get you a job in the future, unless you need to know the answer to Why is the sky blue, Or why is the sea blue? do you need to know that for a good job in the future? that's just my opinion but if you think its a MUST HAVE for a qualification that's up to you, but I'm just saying.

What do you think?

I think it's strange that you are on ATS in the first place, if you only want to know things that can help you get a job. I guess you skip A LOT of threads and posts around here...

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Neil wrote "out of the blue into the black...once you're gone you can't come back.

"What is the color when black is burned .what is the colour?

posted on Oct, 2 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers..the most obvious thing's seem really complicated.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

You're saying people shouldn't be curious? If people never wondered these things, we wouldn't have half of the things we take for granted these days.

Somebody wonders why the sky is blue. They experiment using what they know, until they deduce the reason. That understanding of light, etc. then goes on to lead to other experiments, such as how to project light in certain ways, transmit it, etc., and eventually, you have the television.

All because someone wanted to know why the sky is blue.

top topics

join