It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas toast? Perry worries GOP.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
*I have to admit, the 'texas toast' part of the headline is what got my attention at first*

news.yahoo.com...

It’s not quite time for his camp to panic but in his third debate in a month – nearly as many as he’s done in the entire decade he’s served as Texas governor – Perry demonstrated why so few presidential candidates who parachute into the race mid-campaign win the nomination.

Perry gave a foreign policy answer that offered no indication he’s thought about how to respond to threats against America, twice bobbled attacks on Mitt Romney’s well-documented departures from conservative orthodoxy, called immigration hard-liners heartless and, in what was otherwise his best answer of the evening, stretched the truth in the course of delivering a well-rehearsed line about why he mandated pre-teen girls to be vaccinated against HPV.

A more seasoned candidate would be better informed on national security policy, fluent to the point of knowing by heart his chief opponent’s core vulnerabilities, and would never offend his party’s base with such a pointed attack. And a more sure-footed one would have recognized that he couldn’t get away with the claim that he issued an executive order on HPV after being “lobbied” by a cancer victim—because it has been publicly established that he met the victim only after he made the decision.

Hmmm.... and Ive been thinking this guy was the "favorite"...or atleast thats what the media has been telling me to believe.

For those who watched him in the past few debates, do you think he's tearing into the front of the pack, or his he slipping? I think hes been slipping. He was the first candidate last night to recieve boo's. He may of been the candidate that even recieved the most boo's but im not sure on that one 100%.

The HPV issue is one of the main things thats hurting him I believe. Once the other candidates called him out on that the debate before last, I felt he just lossed quite a bit of support and it would be hard for him to sell what he did, and he still hasnt been able to really sell it. One other thing thats really hurting him, atleast in the Republican base, is his in-state tuition for illegals. I dont know how someone could sell that to the majority of Republican voters.

Instead, after a roaring August start, Perry’s second consecutive lackluster debate performance will reinforce the growing view among some Republicans that he’s not ready for the big leagues.

Good. Hopefully that growing view gets on some steroids.

When he’s pitted side-by-side with Romney, as he was Thursday, the discrepancy between Perry’s promise and his actual performance is glaring.

What may hurt Perry the most, though, is if the ongoing series of debates create the impression that he simply doesn’t have the capacity to get up to speed. If, after the four additional forums scheduled between now and the Iowa caucuses, Perry shows no ability to give a cogent answer on a foreign policy question or discuss the country’s domestic challenges in a way that veers from his top-line talking points, Romney’s slow and steady approach will have the ex-Massachusetts governor positioned to take advantage.

“The bottom line is he’s failed to meet expectations in the last two debates,” said a veteran GOP operative who is neutral in the race but didn’t want to offend Perry. “He often starts off strong in replies but tends to wander, displaying a lack of intellectual discipline that doesn’t inspire confidence.”

The last sentence in the above says my view of him in the debates the best. He starts talking good....then....where did he go?

Then the article talks about people in Romney camp throwing insults at Perry. Cant say Im a fan of Romney either.

Anyways, this article was on the top of the news stories when I logged on to yahoo. Cant say I expected to see this up there.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
Hmmm.... and Ive been thinking this guy was the "favorite"...or atleast thats what the media has been telling me to believe.

That's the thing. The media only reports what's hot today. You might as well watch E! as to watch "news".
The media are all about fashion and sensational 'current events'. I have always known Perry, like Palin, is not a strong contender and would never make it.

It's over a year before the election. We won't know who the front runner is for months. In the meantime, let the Palins, Perrys and Bachmanns parade around acting like they're important. We'll see at this time next year. People will be saying "Perry who"?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

In the meantime, let the Palins, Perrys and Bachmanns parade around acting like they're important.

Agreed

With the way Perry and Romney have been slinging at eachother back and forth the past couple debates, Im wondering....do the people really want someone who acts like a child on stage? Its like Perry is there just for entertainment most of the time. (Romney is up there recently, but not as bad as Perry in my opinion). Heck, most of their (Perry/Romney) answer time was just bickering back and forth last night from what I saw.
edit on 23-9-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

People will be saying "Perry who"?

Unfortunantly, some of us here in TX will be stuck with him for a few more years....

edit on 23-9-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
He really reminds me of Palin, she just wasn't prepared for the spotlight of a presidential race, and Perry isn't either.

It's really sad that Perry's performance makes Bachman look so good.

I think we will have a established Republican insider running against Obama. The tea parties contributions to this race isn't working out the way they had hoped.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I hope texas elects ron paul.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I rather Perry going against Obama then Romney. If I had my choice I would have Cain as our President. That guy is smart, funny and he actually answers questions. I don't know why he isn't doing that good in the polls.

I know one person who doesn't stand a chance and that is the newcomer from NM(?). That guy just came off as a bigger fool then Bachman.

Back to Perry.

I don't think that vaccine should be that big of a deal. He already admitted he went about it the wrong way and plus young girls aren't being forced to get it. I think its time to let it go, same with Romney care.

Non issues that just needs to go away.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming
I don't think that vaccine should be that big of a deal. He already admitted he went about it the wrong way and plus young girls aren't being forced to get it.

Actually, I think it is a big deal and should remain in the spotlight. What this illustrates is his abuse of executive orders. If he did it once, what's to stop him from doing it again (not necessarily with vaccines, but with something just as horrific, if not worse)?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Mitt Romney was already rising in the polls against Perry before this debate, after the debate the takeaway is that Mitt Romney won hands down and Rick Perry fell apart towards the last 40 minutes. I personally was cheering when Romney then Santorum smacked Rick Perry down. Now if you can be depicted as a stooge by a stooge while another stooge stands idly by then yeah, you have a problem.

The sooner Rick Perry goes the way of Fred Thompson the better. At this point all he needs is one more even mediocre debate and I think he will be a man without an army. Even before the next debate occurs watch as Romney pulls ahead in the primary polling against Perry nationally. In my opinion, at this point in time, the race is Romney’s to lose.

My fellow Republicans would be foolish to choose Perry, Bachmann, Santorum, Cain, or Gingrich over Huntsman, Romney or Paul. Johnson is good, in my opinion, but this is just like a practice for him. Not only is Romney more sane and in appearance more Presidential but his poll numbers show that he is the only man who can truly compete against Obama and win. Right now he leads Florida by 7% against Obama, loses Vermont by only 20%, loses Connecticut, California, Massachusetts by just 13%, wins Michigan by 2%, and is competitive in states that would otherwise be solid for the Democrat.

edit on 9/23/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

My fellow Republicans would be foolish to choose Perry, Bachmann, Santorum, Cain, or Gingrich over Huntsman, Romney or Paul. Johnson is good, in my opinion, but this is just like a practice for him. Not only is Romney more sane and in appearance more Presidential but his poll numbers show that he is the only man who can truly compete against Obama and win. Right now he leads Florida by 7% against Obama, loses Vermont by only 20%, loses Connecticut, California, Massachusetts by just 13%, wins Michigan by 2%, and is competitive in states that would otherwise be solid for the Democrat.

Huntsman governs a state that is ten times the size of Mass with about 1/3 of the population. Doesn't sound too difficult to implement policy, so he gets no vote from me. Romney looked and acted presidential, while Perry looked like a third grader when launching his attacks and responding to criticism. Romney gets the edge on business experience among all of the candidates.

I missed a short part of the debate, that on foreign policy. That was important to me, but I was hungry.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Yup, like I predicted before once people start exposing Perry for his major major flaws, he can't possibly win anything. America was a little slow but they are starting to see the mess he is trying to hide.

Next up is Romney...time for Romney to go down..I hope it is not too late. We need more debates for the candidates to be getting Romney on his actual stances...

top topics

join