It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Reconstruct Video Clips From Brain Activity (dreams)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
--This is cool, but kind of scary. What about the dreams we do not remember? Would we want to remember them? Or our worst nightmares?

UC Berkeley scientists have developed a system to capture visual activity in their brains and reconstruct it as digital video clips. Eventually, this process will allow you to record and reconstruct your own dreams on a computer screen.

I just can't believe this is happening for real, but according to Professor Jack Gallant—UC Berkeley neuroscientist and coauthor of the research published today in the journal Current Biology—"this is a major leap toward reconstructing internal imagery. We are opening a window into the movies in our minds."

Indeed, this is mindblowing. I'm simultaneously excited and terrified. This is how it works:

They used three different subjects for the experiments (incidentally, they were part of the research team because it requires to be inside a functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging system for hours at time and nobody wanted that job). Inside the machine, they were exposed to two different groups of Hollywood movie trailers as the fMRI system recorded the brain's blood flow through their brains' visual cortex.

gizmodo.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
oh this is a fantastic breakthrough

do you know how many fantasy women i have dreamt up !!!

would love to bring them back into a 3d model

Yes even the nightmares!!

can you imagine how many new horror movies we can make with new monsters , new plots !!?!?

oh the possibilities!!

we can even examine dreams alot better now with actual evidence !!

and check for correlation

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
At least now we will be able to say "pics or it didn't happen" in the dreams/predictions threads.

Oh, and S&F. Great thread.

edit on 22-9-2011 by CN1018 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Awesome thread, thank you for the post man, this is amazing...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

Man, I had to read that a few times to actually understand it, Id heard of basic techniques that were aiming towards this, but this is a step forward for sure.

What I remember was they had someone in a fmri who was imagining they were walking through a ce3rtain specific area in their mind, and on changing the scenario, they could detect what the person was thinking - which path he had chosen in his mind, after observation.

This is a bit more wow though, without prior observation they're accurately recreating an outline of what the person is viewing.

I wonder if there is a huge difference between watching a video (as in this case) and remembering one... that is the key to mind reading like this.

insane, you just know this will not be used well.... we wont have a xbox mindcontrol, we'll have "You are under arrest, please step into the fmri for charges to be laid."

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I was ready to rip this apart, but the science is sound. Wondering how the algorithms were able to make sense of the 18 million source videos without having a human watch each one though. Obviously it learned from the test viewer input from a relatively tiny subset of videos. Still, not sure if humans could write such amazing algorithms. I wonder if they are using neural-net-type algorithms for this.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I would spend 10 percent of my monthly income on a device that could record these for me. Screw tv, I will watch my dreams in my spare time.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanJP
Awesome thread, thank you for the post man, this is amazing...
Yep... It used to be called 'Brain Ejaculation'... Any new thought

Mr X_ULTRA/ARTLU...Just wondering what i think of myself... What?... i just want to know thy iself... What do you all care what ithink anyway
... Anyway, did any body isee the Obama photo today with his hand&fingers on the wall in front of the Mongolian president face

edit on 22-9-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because: Had to rewind to isee my mistakes

edit on 22-9-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because: i knew i shouldn't of said that

edit on 22-9-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because: OMG!!! i become so vain

edit on 22-9-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because: ihope there's enough quantum storage space in the digi-world for me
... Hey, what's that?... OMG!!! it's an X-FLARE

edit on 22-9-2011 by CosmicWaterGate because:
______________________________________________________________________________________________

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Same subject matter.
edit on 22-9-2011 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Might prove to be a bad technology for married couples

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
So the system records images from your brain into CGI? its all digital? dude thats insane makes me feel more like this is the matrix and that we're living in a holographic world

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Although it is kinda cool, it will no doubt be used against us. DHS, Fema, CIA and most likely a new scanner at the airports so they can now see you naked as well as read your thoughts.

Anything good is always used against us by those that want to control us and this WILL be used.

edit on 23-9-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This is really cool, but what are the chances this technology makes its way into our homes so that we can hook up before we go to sleep and record our dreams. Imagine what you could learn about yourself if you could see all of your dreams. The scary thing is if it involves computers then it may be possible to manipulate someone's dreams, which would open up a whole new area of hacking and cybercrime.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It's funny because i've had dreams about technology like this. For example, watching a screen of one of my nightmares, but not being in a state of fear while dreaming. Hard to explain.

new topics

top topics

join