It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gang Used 3D Printers for ATM Skimmers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Gang Used 3D Printers for ATM Skimmers

krebsonsecurity.com

An ATM skimmer gang stole more than $400,000 using skimming devices built with the help of high-tech 3D printers, federal prosecutors say.

Before I get to the gang, let me explain briefly how ATM skimmers work, and why 3D printing is a noteworthy development in this type of fraud. Many of the ATM skimmers profiled in my skimmer series are carefully hand-made and crafted to blend in with the targeted cash machine in both form and paint color. Some skimmer makers even ask customers for a photo of the targeted cash machine before beginning their work.

The skimmer components typically includ
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Well this is amazingly scary. Acquiring a 3D printer is a little pricey. However that you can fabricate you're own skimmer that can resemble the ATM you wish to place the skimmer on is insane.
And it won't look like some crappy handcrafted jury rig. It will looked like a precision part.

I urge everyone to check the ATM you wish to use. And to cover your hand with your other one as you enter your PIN.

krebsonsecurity.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 22-9-2011 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Thanks for posting. When I look at these 3D printers all I think about is an open source economy based on designs laid out by the common folks. We could totally design and build everything we need in our home. I guess ATM skimmers are what is required in some peoples home.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Grey fascinating article.

Thanks for posting it.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The skimmer is the part that reads the magstripe on the card. The part being fabricated with the 3D printers are the shells and faces for the dummy ATMs, particularly the card reader slot. In the past skimmer operations would salvage ATMs for their parts to make their dummy fronts or they would mold them from scratch, the trick was getting a phony front to lay over the real ATM face and have it blend in. The "skimmer" would reside inside the card reader slot between this dummy front and the real card reader slot. Usually there would be a DVR (digital video recorder) or pinhole camera tucked inside the overhead part of the ATM shell as well so as to capture the user inputting their PIN on the keypad. The more elaborate ones wirelessly transmit the camera and skimmer data to someone nearby who records it, the less sophisticated ones require the crook to collect their dummy front, skimmer and DVR in order to download their data.

I guess I'm being nitpicky, but the part being made is technically called a "bezel". A skimmer proper is the electronics that includes a magstripe read head and memory to record the data.
edit on 22-9-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Well it's a bezel. But it would house the skimmer inside of it.
So it's a skimmer still i guess.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Link doesn't work. Suppose they pulled the article?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
There's a guy who claims to be able to produce an AR lower with one of these 3D printers.

Print your own rifle

Granted, it's not against the law to manufacture your own firearm provided you are not otherwise prohibited from owner said firearm but it's a lot of work to do it. Even completing an 80% lower is still a lot of work and costly if you don't already have the tools on hand.

Most folks don't like work.

I'm sure if manufacturing your own AR becomes as easy as pressing "print" the ATF will take a second look at personal manufacture and the anti lobbies will run nuts screaming about how every gang-banging inbred idiot is printing themselves "assault" rifles.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiandiii
Thanks for posting. When I look at these 3D printers all I think about is an open source economy based on designs laid out by the common folks. We could totally design and build everything we need in our home. I guess ATM skimmers are what is required in some peoples home.

I would love to be like, ah my xbox controller broke, and be able to print out a new frame and just install the new electronics or something like that....i think you get what I mean.

top topics

join