It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MABEL Bipedal Robot is Fast Enough to Run You Down

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

MABEL (ECCS/EPAS) becomes the world's fastest bipedal robot, setting a record of 10.9 kph or 6.8 mph.

MABEL is the world's fastest "kneed" bipedal robot, which just means that it's the fastest robot that can run in a similar manner to us humans, leaving those Toyota robots (4.3 kph) and ASIMO (3.7 kph) in the dust.

MABEL is capable of such blistering speeds thanks to an innovative mechanical design which, although it may not look like it, incorporates a lot of the characteristics of a human runner.
For example, MABEL has a torso that's substantially heavier than its legs, just like a human, and it's also got a system of springs that act like tendons.
This gives MABEL a very human-like, bouncing gait, and the robot spends 40% of its time running in a "flight phase" with both feet off the ground, similar to humans:

"For reference, MABEL's top speed of 3 meters per second probably isn't enough to catch a tolerably in-shape human, as Olympic sprinters can run at up to 10 meters per second over short distances. But the thing about robots is that they're determined, so in the end, it's a good thing that MABEL is tethered to that pole. And that it doesn't have any arms to grab you with. Or any vision sensors, either. So even if you can't run, at least you can hide."
mabel-bipedal-robot-is-now-fast-enough- to-catch-you
War of the future is going to be #ed up

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The comings of Metal Gear? HAHA!

Okay, in all seriousness... This DOES interest me, I am not one to shoot down robotic advancements, however, I do feel as if this will only be contracted with military forces in the very near future. I know some may propose the idea that robots killing robots is better than humans killing humans.. But, and I say this as an optimist, the only thing that I see coming from this in the near future are robots killing humans.

Thoughts?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
10Km P/H........Well not me, But good post.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanJP

the only thing that I see coming from this in the near future are robots killing humans.
Thoughts?

After watching that video i had the same thoughts,
But there are plenty of other uses a robot like this could have..

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
HAL 9000

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_is_Slavery

Originally posted by EvanJP

the only thing that I see coming from this in the near future are robots killing humans.
Thoughts?

After watching that video i had the same thoughts,
But there are plenty of other uses a robot like this could have..

I did a bit of research in the past five minutes haha.. This seems to sum up what I had posted;

www.gizmag.com...

I do not know how to imbed pictures or anything, but there is the link. Basically, DARPA awarded a military contract to Boston Dynamics. This contract seems to be a quadruped version of MABEL.. So... Yeah.. Throw some guns on it's back, and there we go.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
That sound of that thing walking/running gives me the chills and solicits a trauma based reaction from somewhere inside me and i have no reason why.... In other words that thing creeps me the f out. Just imagine 500 of them marching down main st... I'm all set DARPA keep ur freaky deaky toys to yourselves.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I could out run it. But I wouldn't if I was chased by one, just tip it over.

one day they will get their advanced army of robots with internet capability.
They could be both physical and cyberspaced entities. SCARYYYYYYY.

could track your ip, then track you down

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The idea that this will be adapted for warfare is a total non starter. bipedal locomotion is pretty inefficient, you're more likely to see a robotic centipede on the battlefield - even a four legged robot like 'big dog' would make for a better killing machine. This design might one day help paraplegics or be used in anthropomorphic servant robots but never as a soldier.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Damn man, honestly I see that as a possibility today haha! Honestly, it is rather horrifying to me.. Robots don't question military orders, we do.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Arkady

Read the article that I posted about DARPA's contract with Boston Dynamics. Military use is already planned.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I was anticipating it falling down and pulling a Peter Griffin:

But to no avail.

Very creepy to say the least...

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I would like to see this robot operate without being attached to that centrifuge thing. How well does it balance unassisted? Can it turn corners? what are it's capabilities in traversing obstacles? Don't get me wrong, this IS cool; however, I doubt seriously that it can run down anyone unless someone is running in circles while the robot is attached to that device.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
it would fall down if it weren't tethered....it has no since of equalibrium

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

if you look its connected to a pole so yeah it sounds crazy but it might have a problem with weight distribution I'm guessing when it can do that with nothing be scared

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

This is hilarious.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well I'll be glad if we fight robots, Killing people will be messed up.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
That reminded me of a lawn mower tied to a tree. Also made me realize how distant the idea of a technological singularity actually is.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Dude, this honestly scares the crap out of me! Does no one watch movies?! We're going to have a Terminator situation on our hands. There must be a way to shut them all down should that happen?

I hope... ?

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
send 10-20 of them walking down the street of your enemy and they will give up without firing a shot. Just the sound of it walking sent chills down the spine. So how long will we start replacing troops with them and just start hiring a bunch of nerds to stear them like its a video game. I'm sure the cost would have to drop before there like the drones we have inflight everywhere.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join