It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Hit by Space Junk, Lives to Tell the Tale

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Woman Hit by Space Junk, Lives to Tell the Tale

www.foxnews.com

And you thought lightning strikes were rare.

A defunct NASA satellite is set to plunge to Earth, with a 1-in-3,200 chance that someone could get hurt, according to the space agency. That has many wondering: What’s it like to get hit with a piece of space junk?

Lottie Williams -- perhaps the only person in history to ever get hit by falling space junk -- knows the answer. Back in January of 1997, she and two friends were walking through a park in Tulsa, Oklahoma around 3:30 a.m. when they saw a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The only person known to be hit by space junk...wow...

With all the hoopla lately about the falling satellite I thought this would be interesting to share. This junk was similar to the fuel tank of the Delta II rocket that launched a US airforce satellite but never fully confirmed.

What are the odds?!?

www.foxnews.com

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggyproductions05

The only person known to be hit by space junk...wow...

With all the hoopla lately about the falling satellite I thought this would be interesting to share. This junk was similar to the fuel tank of the Delta II rocket that launched a US airforce satellite but never fully confirmed.

What are the odds?!?

www.foxnews.com

Perhaps 'cos the others didn't live to tell the tale...

link   
Double post.
edit on 9/21/2011 by 1AnunnakiBastard because: (no reason given)

link   
wouldnt mind it hitting my house and car

think about it new house new car new everythign you own.

nasa has to compensate for destruction of private property.

yeah it sucks but it can also be beneficial under some circumstances.

from what i have heard tho they say its going to strike on the eastern coast so most people have no worries.
edit on 21-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
No reason to doubt the story but I find this odd.
The Fox article says this:

Williams then sent it CORD (the Center for Orbital and Reentry Debris Studies), where they did further analysis confirming the piece of blackened, woven material to be part of the fuel tank of a Delta II rocket that had launched a U.S. Air Force satellite in 1996.

www.foxnews.com...

The CORD article says this:

The debris that struck Ms. Williams has not been examined to confirm its origin.

www.aero.org...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggyproductions05

What are the odds?!?

According to NASA it's 1 in 3200.

Given that there are weekly lottery winners with prize payout odds of 1 in 8,000,000 I think the odds aren't even in our favor really...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Wow... talk about God hitting the smite button and forgetting to correct for crosswind... this is right up there with the stewardess (occured back in the 70/80's if I remeber right) who fell 33k feet while strapped into her chair from the plane explosion. The part of the plane she was in somehow remain intact, and she was able to sruvice the plunge...

which again, would be God hitting the smite button and forgetting to correct for cross wind.

Originally posted by boncho

What are the odds?!?

According to NASA it's 1 in 3200.

Given that there are weekly lottery winners with prize payout odds of 1 in 8,000,000 I think the odds aren't even in our favor really...

You really threw some sunshine down on that one.....
edit on 21-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Arent those the odds for the current satellite thats about to fall? I think the odds are meant like this - there is a 1/3200 chance that 1 person could be injured out,,

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

thanks for pointing that out. Im trying to find more info on this now.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I think the odds of it hitting 'someone' was 1 in 3,200. However the odds of it hitting a particular person, ie; yourself, were a lot longer... I'm sure it was more like 1 in 22,000,000,000

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggyproductions05
reply to post by boncho

Arent those the odds for the current satellite thats about to fall? I think the odds are meant like this - there is a 1/3200 chance that 1 person could be injured out,,

I assumed odds on falling satellite debris would be the same. But you are right both cases are probably different.

And I think you are right about the second part too, I need to consult my bookie.

edit on 21-9-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-9-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I've been thinking lately about when Skylab fell in 1979. There was a strange phenomenon associated with it. I wanted to find a link before I brought this up, but for some reason I can't find a damn thing on it.

Anyway, in the months before it de-orbited, it seems there were a lot of Asians (all or almost all men) who woke up screaming "Skylab!" and died of heart attacks. It was all over the news at the time; funny I can't turn anything up. I hate to admit that I found the entire thing hilarious....

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
anyone watch Northern Exposure?

when Rick became one with the satellite? and they had to make that special coffin? and then everyone at the funeral just started laughing?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
Anyway, in the months before it de-orbited, it seems there were a lot of Asians (all or almost all men) who woke up screaming "Skylab!" and died of heart attacks. It was all over the news at the time; funny I can't turn anything up. I hate to admit that I found the entire thing hilarious....

I followed the reentry of Skylab quote closely when I was a young kid.
In fact it was only about a year ago that I threw out the clippings I'd collected from the newspapers at the time.
I dont recall ever reading that strange story.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

They wouldn't give you fair value for all you stuff.

you would end up getting a worse car, cheaper smaller home, non of your personal items and probably somehow be pout into debt.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

In fact it was only about a year ago that I threw out the clippings I'd collected from the newspapers at the time.

You're kidding me. My brother and I used to talk about it all the time, when it was happening. But the fact that you, having collected all those stories, haven't heard about it just makes it more weird. And the fact that I couldn't find anything online--even on Wikipedia. I'm mystified....

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by BohemianBrim
anyone watch Northern Exposure?

when Rick became one with the satellite? and they had to make that special coffin? and then everyone at the funeral just started laughing?

Good times. Amazing show.

So did this thing land on her and fell off later and that's how she found it?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

So Lottie should have bought a Lotto ticket ;-)

And also, you lessen the odds by avoiding walking in a patk at 3am in the morning. Looks likhe God might not play dice, but you can almost hear him yell "Bingo!"

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

You're kidding me. My brother and I used to talk about it all the time, when it was happening. But the fact that you, having collected all those stories, haven't heard about it just makes it more weird. And the fact that I couldn't find anything online--even on Wikipedia. I'm mystified....

YAY! I finally found confirmation:

Source

Ely Alonzagay

i remember the several years age of yong, the story of SKYLAB a lot filipino becomed dead which heart felure ...scary,knows the lord creator of earth heaven , to safe people

It's not much, but at least someone else remembers it. Also, it wasn't just filipinos; it was fairly common in several Asian countries.

(Thank God. Sometimes I have this experience like I've fallen into a parallel universe, and nobody remembers many of the things I remember....)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join