It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can there be a valued argument against oneness?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I bring this up because it reminds me of theology and people who believe that the existence of their deity can't even be questioned. It seems like there is a lot of people who believe in oneness but I'm not quite sure if I buy it or not. As in questioning other belief systems, simple questions come up such as "physical proof" or seeing to believe. This isn't to say the concept is wrong but just to establish common ground on how people could question the theory or belief of oneness.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
what we understand in the natural world and in the bubble of our universe is already plenty for out plates.

outside this bubble if there is a creator , then clearly we can't diagnose what type of being he must be if he exists... simply because our preception is still within the bubble , just like the observable universe is 14 ish bill years , the rest of the universe light hasnt even reached us yet who knows whats going on , let alone trying to understand the diety .

now whats outside the diety you say ? well thats another bubble that we are no where near yet to comprehending , IF that diety and the outside bubble exists . We can speculate all we like but really its like the flat landers looking at a 3d object out of no where

as for oneness

|In theology, the doctrine of divine simplicity says that God is without parts. The general idea of divine simplicity can be stated in this way: the being of God is identical to the "attributes" of God. In other words, such characteristics as omnipresence, goodness, truth, eternity, etc. are identical to God's being, not qualities that make up that being, nor abstract entities inhering in God as in a substance. Varieties of the doctrine may be found in Jewish, Christian, and Muslim philosophical theologians, especially during the heyday of scholasticism, though the doctrine's origins may be traced back to ancient Greek thought.

what is gods bubble like ... soon as we can see outside our bubble and break that ,, then hopefully we can answer that "

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy

I bring this up because it reminds me of theology and people who believe that the existence of their deity can't even be questioned. It seems like there is a lot of people who believe in oneness but I'm not quite sure if I buy it or not. As in questioning other belief systems, simple questions come up such as "physical proof" or seeing to believe. This isn't to say the concept is wrong but just to establish common ground on how people could question the theory or belief of oneness.

Are you one? Do you associate with many cells or as a single person? If the entirety of existence could be compared to a body, that body would be God. And God has a unique perspective and experience.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

Since this thread is basically a repeat of your earlier thread; Idea of Oneness similiar to theology faith concept?, I will repeat my reply;

Originally posted by Sahabi
Star and Flag, because you raise a very legitimate question.

I tend to talk a lot, so before I continue, my main point is:

You can understand, see, and experience Oneness.

Oneness is not a theology, because there are no restrictive or oppressive laws/rules. It is more of an understanding the mechanisms of existence.

If you can not understand Oneness, allow me to illustrate an example: The Human Body. We have individual cells that grow tissue, repair damage, fight off illness/infection/disease, carry oxygen, etc. We have organs such as the heart which pumps blood throughout our bodies, and lungs that respirate, and a stomach with intestines that digest/process nutrients, etc. These things I just mentioned do their jobs on their own without me telling them to. Take cells and organs out of a body and they can continue to live and reproduce if given the proper environment. Because they work without me giving orders, and because they continue to live and function outside the body, it is my opinion that my cells are sentient beings. A blood cell is not me, but fully combined as a collective, they become 'me.'

There is not one thing in existence that arises or exists 100% independently from something else. Not one thing can 'be' without a relationship to something else. Everything is connected and interconnected. You may see an individual thing, but ponder it and you will realize everything is a chain-linked system to something smaller and something bigger. This linked system that goes down to the subatomic and beyond, while also going to the cosmic and beyond is the 'fractal' concept. Micro to infinity and macro to infinity.

I honestly see the Oneness now. Not at all moments of my day, but intermittently through meditation, or being aware of it, and even spontaneously. First I was exposed to Oneness through my studies, then I began to understand it, then I began to purify my emotions/thoughts/intentions, then I began to meditate while being mindful of Oneness, interconnectedness, dependent co-arising, and the fractal concept.... then for the first time I saw and experienced Oneness. If you read first-hand accounts of spiritually enlightened individuals (especially eastern disciplines), they will tell you that they also see and experience Oneness. They may use different wordings, and may describe it according to their subjective experience, but nonetheless you will see many people do see Oneness.

Here is my first hand account of experiencing Oneness: I Have Seen The Veil

Here is a thread I wrote describing universal consciousness and oneness:
King Dome's Throne Is On Water

Any questions, comments, rebuttals, and differing opinions from any and everyone is greatly welcome!
May Peace be upon us all.

edit on 8/26/11 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralphy

All you are saying is that you have not learned to meditate enough or correctly enough to reach that state if you have at all made the attempt.

It is a valid state of being, and I seriously doubt that anyone that has ever reached it has denied its existence. Lacking the time, or desire to learn the ability, all you can do is to read about it in various ancient and modern text. I wish you good luck in following your interest in the subject.

Given your predetermined opinion without evidence, I will suggest an old Zen saying that is useful here:
"Expect nothing, be prepared for anything."

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
A valid argument against Oneness?

When one person dies, not all people die as well...

edit on 22/9/2011 by Dark Ghost because: changed example

top topics

join