It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Hicks:- A philosopher and a Swearer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Now I don't know about you good people here on ATS, but I loved Bill Hicks.

He had a fantastic slant on the World and also a great insight into the mechanics of Humans.

It was a GREAT shame his life was ended so soon, tragically taken away from us at a very young age. Now he would often criticise the media, yet needed them to keep his message going.

Bill Hicks in my opinion was not only extremely funny, but there was always a message, a meaning or indeed a warning.

Now, this has probably been posted before (maybe on numerous occasions), but I feel we need to keep the message going.

The world is like a ride at an amusement park. It goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it’s very brightly coloured and it’s very loud and it’s fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, “Hey – don’t worry, don’t be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride…” But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. Jesus – murdered; Martin Luther King – murdered; Malcolm X – murdered; Gandhi – murdered; John Lennon – murdered; Reagan… wounded. But it doesn’t matter because: It’s just a ride. And we can change it anytime we want. It’s only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one. Here’s what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money that we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.

Bill Hicks December 16, 1961 – February 26, 1994.

I hope you enjoyed his insight on life (well a snippet at least) and I hope each and everyone of you chooses the eyes of love. Peace.

ETA:- Video
edit on 20/9/11 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I recently introduced my 19 year old brother to the rollercoaster ride that was the good Mr Hicks.

What he said was exactly what I thought on first becoming aware of him. Something along the lines of him having a very clear message he's getting across, while doing it in a way that's really funny and probably opening the eyes of some of the 'uninitiated' who become curious as to his philosophies and opinions.

See my signature

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

edit on 20-9-2011 by Shirak because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Mouldilocks

I'm seeing your signature and couldn't be more in agreement.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

I'll keep it short and sweet.

Bill I miss you man, the world needs more people like you. I have made sure to squeegee my third eye like you instructed.

RIP Bill Hicks

Another Dead Hero

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

Can you imagine what Bill would have made of 9/11 and the aftermath that we are living in today?

Man, I too wish he was still here with us!!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Love Hicks, as the person and what he had to say. The doc on his life was really good too:
www.1channel.ch...
Hicks on Ufo's

Peace,
spec

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Between Hicks, Carlin and Monty Python - that's three comedy acts for the uninitiated - one can learn most all they need to survive this crappy world we live in.

Today, it seems many get their news from two comedians in Colbert and Stewart and from the few times I've watched those shows, they have more actual news than the so-called news networks.

Sad that we need comedians to tell us the truth.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Can you imagine what Bill would have made of 9/11 and the aftermath that we are living in today?

Man, I too wish he was still here with us!!

Lol I have always thought about this too. Just think about what his reaction to Bush winning the 2000 election would be, I could only imagine the long loud rant that would occur.

Man now I'm depressed, time to listen to Rant in e-minor.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony

Sad that we need comedians to tell us the truth.

Sad? I would probably say it's 'Funny' how we need comedians to tell us the truth.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Thanks for the laugh...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have never heard of this individual before, but based on the quote you posted in the original post he appears to speak some truths.

This is a world governed by not just fear but greed as well. There is simply not enough love and generosity going around.

We have the means to solve all of the worlds problems, but not the will to do so. And it would require the efforts of all people on earth, because fear and greed are like cancers that can easily subvert love and generosity, and can grow rapidly.

How does one cure fear and greed? One simply can't. Or if one can, the success must be awfully low.
One solution would be to kill everyone who possesses these traits. However how does one keep from becoming the very thing they wish to destroy.
As well since these are traits that are of the heart, and not something tangible qualities how can one be sure they have gotten it all, because it will only grow back stronger.

I do have a solution. I wish I did.

It is so frustrating watching people try to search for heaven in all the wrong places ex. material wealth and religion.

When I say religion I mostly mean mostly the abrahamic religions, as their entire theme is that this world does not matter. And if it does its only a staging area or test for entry into heaven.

Instead people should be trying to create a heaven here on earth. Why do we need god to provide heaven if we can provide heaven ourselves.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I saw the man live in 92, and am proud to say it. (and laughed my ass off) But I must say much of his wisdom escaped me until a couple years later, after listening to much more. I cant agree with him politically on most counts but that doesn't deny his brilliance.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
/thread

Bill would have fit right in on ATS.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Yes...great stuff! You have stumbled upon the antidote to our society...humor! Humor about our society...what better way to cope with the ever increasing craziness! Thanks for the reminder!

top topics

join