It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Afghan President Burhanuddin Rabbani assassinated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Former Afghan President Burhanuddin Rabbani assassinated

www.latimes.com

Reporting from Kabul, Afghanistan—
Former Afghan President Burhanuddin Rabbani was killed by a suicide bomber on Tuesday in his home in the capital, the latest in a series of high-profile assassinations to rock the country in recent months.

The bomber, who apparently had explosives concealed in his turban, entered Rabbani's home in an upscale Kabul neighborhood on the pretext of visiting him, said Gen. Mohammed Zaher, the head of criminal investigation for the Kabul police.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Hmmm, I wonder if this will have any effects on the recent Middle Eastern problems.
I mean If the taliban wanted to get together for a peaceful council meeting with the Pres. that everything would be searched on their person...
This will surely slow things down, with him being the main political party in Afghanistan.

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Being from Afghanistan, I can tell you that this was already planned. Back when the mujahideen were fighting the Soviets, it was Rabbani who was supplied by America. It is just a big irony how all of a sudden he was assassinated.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
wow bomb inside the turban ! smart !

reminds me of ahmad shah massoud the norther alliance commander back in the day

who was killed by a bomb inside a camera ! tricked him into an interview and boom

en.wikipedia.org...

these punks sure are getting creative

using preganant mothers as bombs

backpacks

kids

cameras

turbins

whats next ? using fake limbs as bombs !

surley you would think they would beef up security with some of the toys of the TSA to help screen people before you know meeting high level people?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Former President who doesn't have smart enough security to check a turban? HUH? Ok, sure.

Doesn't make much sense to me but maybe I've just been on ATS too long. I guess if they got the other guy mentioned with a camera then this isn't so strange but it sure seems like very lax security OR someone was bought off to let this happen.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
A similar thing happened a few days before 9/11 if those who were watching the news back then might recall. The most critical figure in leading the Northern Alliance (Ahmad Shah Massoud) and perhaps capable of having hunted down and killing Bin Laden without a single U.S. troop being needed was murdered in advance by a "News Crew" that hid a bomb in the camera. A pre-emptive strike just before the war kicked off. I hope we aren't seeing similar moves in this and a couple other very recent events. You can't fault some of these people for not thinking and planning ahead even if follow through isn't their strong point.

Sorry Chucky..I saw your note saying about the same thing right after I submitted this. Well, at least I wasn't the only one wondering about coincidences and such.
edit on 20-9-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: err..

edit on 20-9-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
Former President who doesn't have smart enough security to check a turban? HUH? Ok, sure.

Doesn't make much sense to me but maybe I've just been on ATS too long. I guess if they got the other guy mentioned with a camera then this isn't so strange but it sure seems like very lax security OR someone was bought off to let this happen.

Forget the security... Suicide is not sanctioned by Islam - period, contrary to the claims of radicals. By doing it in this manner the Taliban can go back and use it as en example of how unislamic these peple they kill are.

Were turbins searched prior? No because its a religious symbol. Now, it can be spun when they are searched as an affront to islam. Same with using preganant females / kids.

Although this does show the Taliban arent intrested in peace... just power. Once again ignoring the plight of the Afghan people, instead using that plight to further their own agenda... Just like hamas.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I have yet to see mention of the Taliban as either the ones who did this or accepting responsibility for this. How do you know this to be actual truth? They may have yet there is no reporting of this that I saw(I only read a couple of articles, so if it's reported, I missed it).

So you are just making assumptions then. Which is cool but It's not cool to post assumptions as truth. Show me a link that says the Taliban did this and I might agree with you. As it stands now you are just assuming you know who did this.

I would like to ask one question. How many men in Afghanistan wear turbans? I'd bet it's not just the low person, it's pretty much everywhere over there, even their leaders, so how can you make the connection that this is only targeting the average guy on the street?

It would seem you are making judgments based on assumptions, not fact.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Just so we don't have the "Its from a Western Source argument"

From PressTV - Source

The Taliban militant group has assassinated former Afghan President Burhanuddin Rabbani at his home in the capital city of Kabul, Press TV reports.

Rabbani, who was also head of Afghanistan's Peace Council, was killed when he was in a meeting with Taliban militants and one militant blew himself up during the meeting on Tuesday, a Press TV correspondent reported.

The militant detonated his explosives that were reportedly concealed in his turban.

Five senior Afghan officials, who were present in the gathering, were also killed in the explosion.

The head of the joint secretariat of the High Council for Peace Massum Stanikzai was wounded in Tuesday's bomb attack.

Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The meeting was a prearranged session for Rabbani, who had arrived in Kabul from the United Arab Emirates earlier on Tuesday, according to Afghan sources.

Meanwhile, Afghan President Hamid Karzai cut short his trip to the United Nations in New York following the incident.

As head of Afghanistan peace council, Rabbani was in charge of Afghan-Taliban talks aimed at reintegrating militants who are willing to lay down their arms.

The initiative to form a peace council was adopted at a traditional gathering, or Jirga, in June 2010 following the failure of the US-led forces in establishing peace in Afghanistan.

Emphsis added by me -

Originally posted by TheLoony
It would seem you are making judgments based on assumptions, not fact.

Uhm, no.... that would be you, and only because you dont have all the information.

Before accusing me of something, please make sure all of your information is current.

Thanks
edit on 20-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-9-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join