It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italian Scientists Go On Trial for Failing to Predict Earthquake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

A group of Italian scientists went on trial Tuesday for failing to predict an earthquake that killed more than 300 people in central Italy in 2009 despite signs of increased seismic activity in the area.

www.myfoxny.com...

We certainly can't say it's an "act of God", because there is no God....right? I think we should put the scientific community on trial for hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, lightning induced forest fires, flooding, etc.
This is a bit ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The professionals that are responsible for monitoring this stuff, and get paid to do it..should have some accountability..but as to how much..I guess thats the question.

They should have at least issued a warning of the possibility of one, if they were aware of the activity, in my opinion.

edit on 20-9-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
What is happening to our Society? Saudi Arabia executes a man for Sorcery after he scammed an undercover cop with some bull about casting spells for $1,600 and now we're trying scientists for failing to predict something the scientific community generally agrees CANNOT be predicted?? What is next?? We throw people into the water and declare them innocent if they drown? I don't recall that worked very well the last time it was tried, but hey..I never thought I'd see scientists held liable for not predicting an Act of God, either.

The whole world needs a month or two of daily Valium supplements or maybe Ketamine

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Oh hell no, whatever happened to the supposed act of "God" ? Aren't they catholic over there ?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Oh hell no, whatever happened to the supposed act of "God" ? Aren't they catholic over there ?

?? are you for real?

Slippery conditions can be considered an act of God, but the weather report still points them out for highway conditions.

If there was a lot of seismic activity, the least they could have done is made people aware.

Maybe we should do away with tornado sirens as well?..considering they are an act of god?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Somedays you think you ve seen it all and then this....

absolutely ridiculous how nowaday you can not make a single step without asking your lawyer.
So far there is no way to predict earthquakes - so how the heck should somebody be hold accountable for it ??

On the other hand it is well known that many many buildings in italy are really badly built, because the mafia is one of the biggest operators on the building and housing markets, and to make more profit, they just build lousy structures which collapse on any occasion. Those are the guys who should be put to trial.

Besides; IF the scientists get convicted, i assume nobody will ever want to talk about earthquakes or study them, it would be too risky.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

Originally posted by Heartisblack

?? are you for real?

Slippery conditions can be considered an act of God, but the weather report still points them out for highway conditions.

If there was a lot of seismic activity, the least they could have done is made people aware.

Maybe we should do away with tornado sirens as well?..considering they are an act of god?

No I wasn't serious! But I am wondering did the government pay him off not to say anything ?
There is really no way to detect earthquakes, the way they're acting as if they wanted this dude to tell them the date/time and hour which the quake was happening!
edit on 20-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by svetlana84
Somedays you think you ve seen it all and then this....

absolutely ridiculous how nowaday you can not make a single step without asking your lawyer.
So far there is no way to predict earthquakes - so how the heck should somebody be hold accountable for it ??

On the other hand it is well known that many many buildings in italy are really badly built, because the mafia is one of the biggest operators on the building and housing markets, and to make more profit, they just build lousy structures which collapse on any occasion. Those are the guys who should be put to trial.

Besides; IF the scientists get convicted, i assume nobody will ever want to talk about earthquakes or study them, it would be too risky.

Preach honey, how the hell are they holding accountable for it ?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

The experts are accused of giving overly reassuring information to residents who could have taken adequate protective measures if they had been properly informed.

I think this was the issue.. if they could have said.."well..we think you are safe, but we really can't predict what could happen, and you may be wise to take precaution"..maybe they wouldn't have been sued?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MRuss

I see we are going back to the days of killing people for saying the Sun is at the center of our solar system.

I thought Italians were more intelligent than this...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join