It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plant RNAs Found in Mammals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Plant RNAs Found in Mammals

the-scientist.com

MicroRNAs from common plant crops such as rice and cabbage can be found in the blood and tissues of humans and other plant-eating mammals… One microRNA in particular, MIR168a, which is highly enriched in rice, was found to inhibit a protein that helps removes low-density lipoprotein (LDL) from the blood, suggesting that microRNAs can influence gene expression across kingdoms.

“...the food we eat may directly regulate gene expression in our bodies"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
There you have it:

You are what you eat.

Actually, this tidbit of scientific information is ancient knowledge, and one of the premises underlying Ayurveda and Chinese Medicine. So glad Western allopathic medicine is finally catching up.

The news comes from a study published today in Cell Research: Exogenous plant MIR168a specifically targets mammalian LDLRAP1: evidence of cross-kingdom regulation by microRNA.

…MicroRNAs circulate in the blood by hitching a ride in small membrane-encased particles known as microvesicles. The researchers found about 40 types of plant microRNAs circulating in the subjects’ blood, some in concentrations comparable to major endogenous human microRNAs.

The two microRNAs studied were found in the blood, lungs, small intestine, and livers of mice - suggesting that they're "taken up by the epithelial cells lining the gastrointestinal tract, packaged into microvesicles, and secreted into the blood stream, where they can make their way to target organs."

Researcher Zhang says, "I’m confident other people will find more exogenous plant microRNAs that can pass through the GI tract and also have effects on the host physiology."

Not a big surprise I know - but nice to have empirical verification.

the-scientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Ooops. Forgot to mention - one of the microRNA's studied interferes with the body's ability to remove "bad cholesterol" from the blood.

…MIR168a is highly enriched in rice - and was found to inhibit a protein that helps removes low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" from the blood. MIR168a targets the low-density lipoprotein receptor adapter protein 1 gene (LDLRAP1). In the liver, MIR168a binds to LDLRAP1 mRNA, reducing the protein levels and ultimately impairing the removal of LDL from the blood.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

The two microRNAs studied were found in the blood, lungs, small intestine, and livers of mice - suggesting that they're "taken up by the epithelial cells lining the gastrointestinal tract, packaged into microvesicles, and secreted into the blood stream, where they can make their way to target organs."

Very interesting, not to beat a dead horse but this is the method of delivery ...
when GMO is consumed by the animals, and how its poison makes way to the organs
to destroy them.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Originally posted by burntheships

Very interesting, not to beat a dead horse but this is the method of delivery ...

Meet and match with my dead horse. ...This is exactly the path ingested prions take in the body - except they left out "systems," and the fact that the immune system spreads "alien contaminants" through the body.

Not to dismiss the fact that the larger system is phenomenally elegant when we don't mess with it - we are ALL connected in 'mysterious' ways.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Yes, its all very connected. And I think these two horses we beat are
close cousins.

Imagine the impact when these animals are loaded up with several GMO grains
for feed. And for that matter...what about us lowly humans?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

close cousins.

Close cousins indeed.

Seems to me genetic modification and engineering involves/requires the creation of prions - prions being the mechanism of change or modification - including "genetic" change.

Not just GE and GMO involve creating prions - but most industrial process (including food processing, drug manufacturing, chemical manufacturing - and on and on). Remember, genes code for proteins - the building blocks of life - and:

Virtually any protein can misfold and become infectious, given "suitable" destabilizing conditions.

Protein misfolding and aggregation: new examples in medicine and biology of the dark side of the protein world

…even the toxic effects of protein aggregates, mainly in their pre-fibrillar organization, result from common structural features rather than from specific sequences of side chains. These data lead to hypothesize that every polypeptide chain, in itself, possesses a previously unsuspected hidden dark side leading it to transform into a generic toxin to cells in the presence of suitable destabilizing conditions. This new view of protein biology underscores the key importance, in protein evolution, of the negative selection against molecules with significant tendency to aggregate as well as, in biological evolution, of the development of the complex molecular machineries aimed at hindering the appearance of misfolded proteins and their toxic early aggregates.

These data also suggest that, in addition to the well-known amyloidoses, a number of degenerative diseases whose molecular basis are presently unknown might be determined by the intra- or extracellular deposition of aggregates of presently unsuspected proteins. …

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

close cousins.

Close cousins indeed.

Seems to me genetic modifiication and engineering involves/requires the creation of prions - prions being the mechanism of change or modification - including "genetic" change.

Not just GE and GMO involve creating prions - but most industrial process (including food processing, drug manufacturing, chemical manufacturing - and on and on). Remember, genes code for proteins - the building blocks of life - and:

Yes, the genetic modifcation does indeed involve the process of creating prions!

Sofi, you have your lab coat on today, I see.

I found this interesting, (scary) and it also relates to mad cow, which I know you have posted much about!

Proteins can have allergenic or toxic properties, but no one at Monsanto had done a safety assessment on them. “I was afraid at that time that some of these proteins may be toxic.” He was particularly concerned that the rogue proteins “might possibly lead to mad cow or some other prion-type diseases.”

Kirk had just been studying mad cow disease (bovine spongiform encephalopathy) and its human counterpart, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD). These fatal diseases had been tracked to a class of proteins called prions. Short for “proteinaceous infectious particles,” prions are improperly folded proteins, which cause other healthy proteins to also become misfolded. Over time, they cause holes in the brain, severe dysfunction and death. Prions survive cooking and are believed to be transmittable to humans who eat meat from infected “mad” cows. The disease may incubate undetected for about 2 to 8 years in cows and up to 30 years in humans.

When Kirk tried to share his concerns with the scientist, he realized, “He had no idea what I was talking about; he had not even heard of prions. And this was at a time when Europe had a great concern about mad cow disease and it was just before the Nobel prize was won by Stanley Prusiner for his discovery of prion proteins.” Kirk said “These Monsanto scientists are very knowledge about traditional products, like chemicals, herbicides and pesticides, but they don’t understand the possible harmful outcomes of genetic engineering, such as pathophysiology or prion proteins. So I am explaining to him about the potential untoward effects of these foreign proteins, but he just did not understand.” www.globalresearch.ca...

Afterr reading that, it makes me wonder how some of these scientists get grant money.
Sofi, you have them beat!
edit on 20-9-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Great link, article! Thanks. ...I'm feeling vindicated these days - much that I was writing on prions years ago was absolutely heretical, unthinkable - and I took a lot of heat. Now, a sudden rash of (published) research in the field supports that earlier stuff. ...I think we're on the cusp of a major paradigm shift in biology, centered around the "Genetic Heresy" of the 'prion hypothesis.' Welcome the light.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I think we're on the cusp of a major paradigm shift in biology, centered around the "Genetic Heresy" of the 'prion hypothesis.' Welcome the light.

I really hope so. I shudder to think what might happen if this genetic
madness is not stopped! And I must say thanks again for all your great posts,
and the information you have brought to us here at ATS.

You were on the cutting edge years ago, and you still are!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Thanks bts.
...You're no slouch yourself - thank YOU for all your wonderful work!

I shudder to think what might happen if this genetic madness is not stopped!

Which reminds me. A quote I posted elsewhere needs attention here:

Prion diseases …can be sporadic (spontaneous), familial (genetic/inherited) or acquired (transmitted by infection).

...I've been using that quote for years from one source or another - prion diseases are sporadic, familial or acquired. It's so basic, didn't stop to think about focusing on that "sporadic-spontaneous" bit. ...But think about it. Authorities have recognized and admitted for years that prion diseases can appear out of nowhere spontaneously. ...Something happens to 'destabilize' a protein's environment; it misfolds; becomes infectious in it's new form; causes a prion disease. ...What destabilizes a protein's environment you ask? Just about anything - change in temperature, exposure to a chemical, magnetic forces, more - can alter proteins' environments, creating 'disharmony' and internal monsters. We really do live in a changing and changeable world.

Given proteins' propensity to misfold, we are absolute fools to allow GE, GM, chemical industries and the like - it's hard enough to maintain a life-supporting balance in the 'natural' world.

...and I can't help thinking that all the ancient and folk medicines that talk about 'harmony' knew exactly what they were talking about.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

...and I can't help thinking that all the ancient and folk medicines that talk about 'harmony' knew exactly what they were talking about.

Thats really fascinating, when you think about it. So true, while our life span expectancy has
increased, comparitively speaking...much of civilization lives out of sync, out of harmony...
and we could look to many of our "advancments" as the culprits. Thats true especially
in the area of the 'food' we consume as a civilized society.

I need a refresher course...but I find myself thinking that this is where the aminio acids
come into play, along with the invisible factors such as stress, and negative emotions.

edit on 21-9-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

our life span expectancy has increased, comparitively speaking

Erm. No.

today's children will be the first generation in memory to have a shorter life span than their parents

2005: A Potential Decline in Life Expectancy in the United States in the 21st Century

This decrease in life span is being blamed on the "obesity pandemic." BUT DUH. Prions require cholesterol to propagate so they take over the cell's machinery and make cholesterol - which buggers metabolism and causes obesity. …Prion diseases are pandemic; obesity is pandemic.

Yes, we all have some power here - decrease our stress (good luck if you want to eat and pay bills), eat well (not on today's wages), think positive…

...Am personally feeling quite negative right now because I know I've posted on this before, with links - but nothing to be found. Don't have time to do the work again!!!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Oh, your right there. I completely agree with you on that and should have clarified...
our life expentancy increased, but now is decreasing. 100% agree with you.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Oh good.
...now that that's out of the way, I should say I'm always torn on the presentation - I'm fairly positive and harmonious in my own mind, but when it comes to communicating 'the issues' find that I get stuck on emphasizing that there are real problems to be addressed. When the existence of said real problems is denied, moving forward in discussion is ...difficult. Which no doubt explains why women invented art.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

When the existence of said real problems is denied, moving forward in discussion is ...difficult. Which no doubt explains why women invented art.

Nicely put!

Art is a bridge, yes. Where would we be without it?
I think your a David Dees fan too, yes?

top topics

join