It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Statement by the President on the Repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Statement by the President on the Repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell

www.whitehouse.gov

Today, the discriminatory law known as ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ is finally and formally repealed. As of today, patriotic Americans in uniform will no longer have to lie about who they are in order to serve the country they love. As of today, our armed forces will no longer lose the extraordinary skills and combat experience of so many gay and lesbian service members. And today, as Commander in Chief, I want those who were discharged under this law to know that your country deeply values your service.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 20-9-2011 by JaxonRoberts because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
A day that many here on ATS swore to me would never come is finally here. As a gay disabled veteran I have to say it's about damn time. As I have stated here on ATS time and time again, if one is willing and able to serve his or her country, they should be allowed to do so with honor and dignity. This is another brave step forward towards living up to the ideals set forth in the Constitution... That every citizen should have the same rights and freedoms, and that EVERY citizen matters...

www.whitehouse.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

As a "gay, disabled veteran," do you think the repeal of the law will make much difference? Will gay service men and women be comfortable sharing their sexuality with their peers or will there be backlash?

As an example, many pro-athletes have said that a gay man would never survive in a locker room setting, and they are forced to hide their sexuality. These are very tough guys, but they still have to hide it.

I think the lesbian women in the military have it much easier, because it is a masculine role, and they are kind of expected to be gay, and they won't be resented quite as much, but I suspect the gay men will still have a very hard time openly admitting to their sexuality.

What say you?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I don't agree. For the most part, young people today are not as heterocentric as us older folks, and the average age of those in the military is in the low 20's. While us old farts still think it's some kind of big deal, the millenials don't see it the same way.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Let the lawsuits begin. "I'm suing the Marines because the Boot Camp DI was mean to me. I'm sure he was mean because I'm gay. I want an honorable discharge and $10 million dollars.".

Before DADT I served with several people who were gay. With one exception, I would be happy to serve with those people again. Several of them are friends with whom I am still in contact even after 20+ years. My post isn't a slight against them, but, this is going to happen.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
You people should get a grip of yourselves! Whats this Im gay crap?

Maybe you just think you are but really you are a closet hetro!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
This whole thing is a sort of Fallacy.

I have friends still on active duty in the Army (I did my time,) non-heterosexual males in the COMBAT ARMS of the US Army are still being kicked out of units and being shifted to a support capacity (literally being forced to change MOS when there sexuality comes to light.) Yes, they have repealed DADT, however they're being treated like women are in the military if they're open about it, support only, no combat. This is the part they're not talking about.

All of the Infantry, Artillery, Cavalry, etc. are 90% Caucasian Heterosexual males. This isn't going to change until the current young guys with liberal views become the old guys. Same with the Marine Corps. The only reason the Marines are even doing it and I am directly quoting the current Commandant Amos here, "At the end of the day we have to do what the NAVY says."

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

I was proud to sign the Repeal Act into law last December because I knew that it would enhance our national security, increase our military readiness, and bring us closer to the principles of equality and fairness that define us as Americans.

Too little too late and here is why ...

Bradley Manning [wiki]

Personal Disclosure: Hmmm I wonder how many dirty little secrets will also come out of the closet and try and fly under the radar at the same time?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

First, Thank you for your service!

I spent 10 years at sea, and have served with gay people. I think that it was wrong that they had to lie in the past, and I'm glad that they are no able to serve openly. I new several good and dedicated professionals that were discharged becasue they were gay.

I would serve proudly with any of them again!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Submarines

Star for you. When were you in and what boats were you on, if you don't mind my asking? 82-87 for me. Just wondering if we might have chased you at one time or another.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Yeah i dont see this as a good thing, and not that i have anything against anybody, we are all equal, but this seems like a new way to recruit more soldiers for another war, does it not?

Now that they wont be discharged or questioned, would those people actually go and fight another war again? Would they pick up the weapons of mass destruction and KILL?

But it is nice too see them changing the whole idea of being so negative towards your own brothers and sisters, and slowly taking the step to get rid of that agenda.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
ya all know in all branches of services the jokes
and off color remarks are just flying fast and furious... repeal of a law in not going to make it amicably until you change peoples perceptions...

Military Quote Of The Day

"When I joined the military it was illegal to be homosexual, then it became optional, and now it's legal.
"I'm getting out before Obama makes it mandatory."

GySgt Harry Berres, USMC

as for me I don't gave a damn what you do in the privacy of your own homes... I just care about doing the job... not which team you bat for.... that becomes a dangerous distraction in my book

edit on 20-9-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Exactly.

Once they started letting women serve alongside men, the idea that homosexuality was any issue was out the window.

Sex is distracting, no doubt about it. But any particular brand of sex is no more distracting than another.

I think they should go back to the days of using saltpeter in the rations.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Does this law include bi-sexuals? Can bi-sexuals serve openly in the military? Cause if not, that would be discriminatory, no?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Thank you for your service JaxonRoberts.

This is a step forward for the United States, cannot understand why it took so long to finally do this, thanks for keeping your promise President Obama.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The only time in my life that I ever was arrested was when I was arrested for being gay in the Air Force.

In the far off past they would sentence gay service-members to Leavenworth Prison under hard labor to fulfill their obligations. I was lucky as it was 1987!

At any rate, highlight of my life and I would imagine one that would be considered "a turning point", yet I am not sure that would have really made a difference in who I am today, considering the situation the world is in and the truth of the matter.

Funny, my Commander was named Colonel Gnader! We used to call him Darth Gnader! LOL I had to sit there and have him tell me what a waste of a human being I was and how life would offer me nothing but grief; sick and perverse were a few light-hearted attributes thrown my way that day. Nothing worse than I got from my own upbringing so I just figured he was a programmed jerk that relished in his cruelty. I guess NCO's never get used to hearing that crap when they see their best people washed out, I felt bad for mine at the time.

I am glad they kicked me out and I am glad it put a barrier between me and potential employers! I got to skip all of that and go directly to the part where I get to work on who I am as a Soul beyond the paradigms of the "System". I would say I lived a "charmed" life.

Personally, with the "Don't ask" policy over with there will be less waste, it is just going to take some swift and final orders or else.

I can think of other laws and policies that are remnants of a closed-minded Society! Oh well, one at a time!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
Let the lawsuits begin. "I'm suing the Marines because the Boot Camp DI was mean to me. I'm sure he was mean because I'm gay. I want an honorable discharge and $10 million dollars.".

As JaxonRoberts pointed out - - - the military is mostly "kids" 20 and younger.

They're gonna whine and complain about everything anyway.

I'd bet many commanders feel more like babysitters then commanders much of the time now - - prior to this.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Now theres a point! Maybe they not ready to be sure if they want a fanny (and her "a" sometimes) or an arse full stop or both.

Still growing....

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
As a Christian military spouse, I used to be ignorant and say "No. This shouldn't be allowed!".
But as I finally took the time and really analyzed it, how can I say that?
Just because my beliefs don't agree with homosexuality, doesn't mean everyone else should abide by
"my" beliefs.
However, for my husband, he feels different. He obviously doesn't agree with it either, but to him, it's the
"uncomfortable" feeling he gets when gay/lesbian airmen talk about their lifestyles.
That's the way he feels, and that's his personal experience as a member in the service.

All in all, if they're willing to put up with the government's crap, then they should be able to say outloud
that they are gay/lesbian.

Now the fun part is when they start getting married, having children, and wanting Tricare benefits.
I personally think that will start a riot because that's when everyone's true colors will shine about how they
feel about it.

And like someone said earlier, everyone is always joking around saying "you're a fag" or "don't be gay".
Will this spark up lawsuits and rules that people can't joke like that anymore?
If so, my husband's in trouble because they joke like that all of the time.
edit on 20-9-2011 by Pinkgomo653 because: Forgot something

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
You know what this means right?

Gays will identify yourselves and probably be removed from combat and relegated to support roles.

I doubt there will be "all gay" combat units but if all the gays out themselves you can be damn sure there will be 'all straight' combat units.

*My granddaughter is a lesbian and I don't mind, so you guys can't call me anti-homo. Accept me. I was born this way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join