It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would Happen if Mount Tambora Went off..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Ok my question since ive always loved anything to do with Volcano's not only because there cool but the power they have is unquestionably powerful and cool..but my question and id like to really discuss this since i saw it somewhere and read that in 2 months its alert status has gone from 1-3 out of a 1-4 scale....what would happen if it went off....so heres the questions pin points id like to discuss further just to fill my head with..

1. size of eruption how big do you think it will be and what proof do you have for it to be this size?
2. damage it will cause...will we have a year without a summer again or will it just be a cool light show...
3. when will it go off leave elenin out of this it has NOTHING to do with this what so ever....i want pure facts about a possible time or guest-emit (cant spell apparently) about when it might go off..

heres a link to the volcano im talking about en.wikipedia.org...

so as much detail would be great
thanks!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
We would all die and we wouldnt have ATS anymore.

Thats what would happen.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Calex1987

the ash would cause the temp to drop back down and the ice caps would freeze again and the polar bears would have homes again

but in all seriousness if it did cause another year without sun and damaged crops and livestock we could possibly see a SHTF scenario in which the military would be called upon and states of emergencies would be placed.

the estimated periods between explosions differ between a few hundred years to a few thousand but could it happen around 200 years after the last? anything is possible i suppose and with the way earth has been acting lately id assume it would be a rather LARGE explosion. im more worried about the yellowstone area erupting honestly =/
edit on 20-9-2011 by Bonkrh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

see thats what i figured but i was thinking grand scale of things being canadian we dont follow under same rule as you guys south of us...also cool then them damn bears can stop eating peoples garbage...ever think you would replace a coon with a damn bear...i didnt! haha....but seriously id really like to understand more and get more insight into this because it is a real possibility of letting off a big one it has in the past and doesnt seem to ever really just give a quick poof and its over no it likes to go BOOM and kill alot of stuff.

just saw the last part added haha im not worried about Yellowstone the way i see it is "IF" and "IF" it goes off i wont have time to worry ill already be dead haha....so the way i see it is if it goes off im dead if not i live...but where this volcano can go off and it wont kill me but it might bring us into a possible situation we haven't seen in a very very long time...
edit on 20-9-2011 by Calex1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

Thats what would happen.

I would have to say that this is the worst post I have ever seen on ATS.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

i just did a search for the mountain and saw that there has been some 5.0 earthquakes in the area. now i am really hoping as well that someone comments on this with some better information ! makes me glad i have basically memorized the survival forums
they will come in handy in a situation like having no sunshine... lol

s+f btw
edit on 20-9-2011 by Bonkrh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

if you ignore and dont feed trolls they die anything thats nonconstructive i just ignore not worth my time..

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Interesting enough, I was just reading on it and when it erupted in 1815, the U.S. was covered with ash, and was known as the year without a summer.

Forbes

The April 1815 eruption of Tambora left a crater 11 kilometers (7 miles) wide and 1 kilometer (half a mile) deep, spewing an estimated 400 million tons of sulfuric gases into the atmosphere and leading to "the year without summer" in the U.S. and Europe.

was 10 times more powerful than Indonesia's much better-known Krakatoa blast of 1883 -

No one expects a repeat of 1815 just yet - it takes much more than 200 years for that type of huge pressure to build up again, said de Boer, who teaches at Wesleyan University in Connecticut.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Calex1987
reply to post by AllUrChips

if you ignore and dont feed trolls they die anything thats nonconstructive i just ignore not worth my time..

your right usually I do ignore them but how UNEDUCATED was this lol but your right my blood pressure is high enough lol

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mugger

see while i understand they say it takes more then 200 years...but thats just what we assume...we have no real proof that it cant be built up in less time say by a shifting plate pushing that molten lava into the chamber because it has no where else to go and most of those facts is what got me interested
.......so while he can say it takes more then 200 years but what if the plate shifted and forced magma up into the chamber and the pressure was built up well before the timeline we expect....the reason i ask this is withen aug-sept this year it jumped 2 threat levels from 1-3 out of 1-4 now generally wouldnt you see it gradually climb? not withen say 3 weeks jumping 2 lvls...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips

Thats what would happen.

Does that mean I am the best at it?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
mt tambora is the type of volcano that has highly unstable strata layers. water gets trapped in these layers and when you apply heat it expands and causes cracking. the while top ridge of the volcano is seperating. the western flank could slide off into the ocean in a massive landslide causing a large volume of water to be displaces in a westerly direction sending a massive tsunami to the eastern coast of the united states. this wave would be traveling 600 mph and reach 150ft tall and go as much as 300 miles inland scouring the east coast clean. in the event that this happens there would only be a 6 hour warning to evacuate all those millions of people. it would make the indian ocean tsunami look like ripples in a pond.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
lol im an idiot for getting tambora in indonesia and tunguska on canary islands mixed up. so tambora went off 88 thousand years ago as a mega volcano. this caused a 'bottleneck' in human development because basically everyone died. only a few survived and only 6 women passed their genes on. we have technology now so i dont think the same would happen again. its probbly just a burp.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips

Thats what would happen.

Really? I thought it was very poignant sarcasm and the only valid response to a such an inane question.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
The same volcano is discussed in the OP here

200 Year Earthquake & Volcano Cycle of Destruction?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Mouldilocks

yeh but im not worried about it waking up or w.e i just wanted peoples inputs on lets say tomorrow it went off with the full force it could or what force can we predict if it did go off tomorrow what would it have what would the damage be? ect....on that thread there talking about it waking up and its past and the recent earth quakes...i just wanted base information on what happens if it does go off..ect i love volcanos hence why im asking just for info on this particular one

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Well, any the potential 'what-ifs' put forward in this thread may well come to pass if what the data suggests in the other thread proves to be true.

I would certainly care!

Appreciate that you're approaching from a completely different direction, just thought it may be useful to see other discussions in a similar vein

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Farmers flee as history’s deadliest volcano rumbles back to life after 200 years

September 19, 2011 – MOUNT TAMBORA, Indonesia — Bold farmers in Indonesia routinely ignore orders to evacuate the slopes of live volcanoes, but those living on Tambora took no chances when history’s deadliest mountain rumbled ominously this month. Villagers like Hasanuddin Sanusi have heard since they were young how the mountain they call home once blew apart in the largest eruption ever recorded – an 1815 event widely forgotten outside their region – killing 90,000 people and blackening skies on the other side of the globe. So, the 45-year-old farmer didn’t wait to hear what experts had to say when Mount Tambora started being rocked by a steady stream of quakes. He grabbed his wife and four young children, packed his belongings and raced down its quivering slopes. “It was like a horror story, growing up,” said Hasanuddin, who joined hundreds of others in refusing to return to their mountainside villages for several days despite assurances they were safe. “A dragon sleeping inside the crater, that’s what we thought. If we made him angry – were disrespectful to nature, say – he’d wake up spitting flames, destroying all of mankind.” The April 1815 eruption of Tambora left a crater 11 kilometers (7 miles) wide and 1 kilometer (half a mile) deep, spewing an estimated 400 million tons of sulfuric gases into the atmosphere and leading to “the year without summer” in the U.S. and Europe. It was 10 times more powerful than Indonesia’s much better-known Krakatoa blast of 1883 – history’s second deadliest. But it doesn’t share the same international renown, because the only way news spread across the oceans at the time was by slowboat, said Tambora researcher Indyo Pratomo. In contrast, Krakatoa’s eruption occurred just as the telegraph became popular, turning it into the first truly global news event. The reluctance of Hasanuddin and others to return to villages less than 10 kilometers (6 miles) from Tambora’s crater sounds like simple good sense. But it runs contrary to common practice in the sprawling nation of 240 million – home to more volcanoes than any other in the world. Even as Merapi, Kelut and other famously active mountains shoot out towering pillars of hot ash, farmers cling to their fertile slopes, leaving only when soldiers load them into trucks at gunpoint. They return before it’s safe to check on their livestock and crops. Tambora is different. People here are jittery because of the mountain’s history – and they’re not used to feeling the earth move so violently beneath their feet. Aside from a few minor bursts in steam in the 1960s, the mountain has been quiet for much of the last 200 years. Gede Suantika of the government’s Center for Volcanology said activity first picked up in April, with the volcanic quakes jumping from less than five a month to more than 200.

“It also started spewing ash and smoke into the air, sometimes as high as 1,400 meters (4,600 feet),” he said. “That’s something I’ve never seen it do before.”

[url=http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/2011/09/19/farmers-flee-as-historys-deadliest-volcano-rumbles-back-to-life-after-200-years/]Source[/ur l]

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
see i read that and this is what really got me is that after 200 years a strato-volcano is awakening....now this is normal for volcanos to wake up spew lil go back to sleep ect but its not often we see the next closest thing to a super volcano like yellow stone start giving some life signs and scaring people....so im still on the quest to figure out more! about this lovely piece of nature!

top topics

join