It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida driver sues for right to flash headlights at speed traps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Erich Campbell thought he was just being helpful when he flashed his lights on a busy Tampa highway to warn other drivers of a speed trap. Highway patrol though otherwise.

I thought you all would like this story and thought how many people on ATS have gotten a ticket for flashing there headlights or know someone who has? I never have been pulled over but i have known friends who have. I have friends who are high officials in the justice department and some of them are sheriffs and police officers and they all agree with me as a police officer, your duty is to reinforce the law, and not make up your own rules. Life will be much more enjoyable. Please visit link to read full storie.

www.wheels.ca...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I have two words for the man if a cop pulls you over for that, automatic headlights. Just say it's my automatic headlights I can't help it sorry...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Unless it's a law in the books that he can't flash his headlights - it's his car & he can do whatever he wants.
If he want's to warn other drivers that there's a trap then that's his business.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by coldkidc
Unless it's a law in the books that he can't flash his headlights - it's his car & he can do whatever he wants.
If he want's to warn other drivers that there's a trap then that's his business.

Most states have laws against this because you blind the people in the other lane. If they aren't speeding then there is no need for him to flash his lights besides most speeders have radar detectors. This is nothing more than a stupid lawsuit.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I live in a rural area and flash my light when livestock, deer, and other things are in the road. Headlight flashing has been around since the 40's at least. My dad did on a east west trip from one coast to the other coast... Trucks did it too. CB radios and scanners help too. I rarely speed with cruse control. My foot can get heavy on the road. Never, never in town.
edit on 18-9-2011 by Papagrune because: edit sentice

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Interesting thread. I thoughout my life have done just that, flash my lights to warn others. The response is the same when someone warns me, WE ALL SLOW DOWN!! What respectable law enforcement officer or judge wouldn"t see that as a plus. Alot of FHP troopers get a big head with their authority. I don't know if its like that with other state police officers, but ive seen it many times in Florida. I would have my day in court if someone ticketed me for that. Flash that FHP!!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Flashing your headlights is for warning - what does it matter what the warning is? It could be the driver being signaled does not have his or her headlights on at night; it could be something in the road such as a stopped vehicle or downed branch, etc. It's not like you have time to perform Morse code with your flashing...it's a pretty ambiguous signal and many times i have seen it from on-coming traffic and been a bit bewildered what they were referring to - was I speeding (no...), were my headlights off (no...), was it even me that they were signaling (maybe...). Sometimes people are speeding more than they normally would, and perhaps a friendly flash-flash would wake them up from some zombie state sooner than getting a ticket for unusual behavior which is less costly than a ticket. And isn't the purpose of a ticket/fine to be a deterrent? I mean, as long as the speeding was deterred, what is the big deal?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sphota

And isn't the purpose of a ticket/fine to be a deterrent? I mean, as long as the speeding was deterred, what is the big deal?

That was actually very impressive and has me laughing.

I'm usually a cop supporter as I wanted to get into law enforcement and got my degree in criminal justice (if it paid better I'd be doing it... maybe). I will say that it is a bit nuts to ticket drivers during the day for flashing their lights. It's not going to hurt anyone and I see nothing wrong with it. Hell I do it. I do think that it should be ticketed at night though. I have been blinded to the point where I had to pull over by some idiots doing that on back roads around here.

Also, before anyone rips too hard on speed traps realize that some have a VERY legitimate reason for being there. Places where there are a high number of fatalities/accidents need to have a visible deterrent to keep dumbasses from killing others. Half the time I think they are there for a good reason, half the time because the city needs to get that revenue.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Best argument against is this scenario.

Cops are on the side of the road looking for a child molester who kidnapped some kid. Thanks to the warning flashes from on coming cars The child molester is able to pull off and evade. This will apply to warning drunk drivers, speed goofs who endanger everyone, criminals etc etc......

Think about the other side of the coin.
edit on 18-9-2011 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by coldkidc

Most states have laws against this because you blind the people in the other lane. If they aren't speeding then there is no need for him to flash his lights besides most speeders have radar detectors. This is nothing more than a stupid lawsuit.

I would like to see that law, I am not doubting what you say but to say it is there because "you blind people" in the other lane is pretty ridiculous. Have you ever been blinded by the flash from those stop light cameras taking a picture? Point being, those flashes from stop light cameras are far more distracting then flashing headlights.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
cops dont want you interfering with one of there Main resources of rev-anew .
Speed traps are not much removed from entrapment.
on hiway 20 in fl half way between tallahassee and panamacity there is a small town as you come into this town
there is a posted speed of 45 mph 10 FEET later there is a POSTED speed of 35 if your not from that area and are unaware of this TRAP (ENTRAPMENT you will get pulled over and a ticket .
in monticello fl there's a 45 mph right in front of the windixie 3/4 of a mile closer into town theres a 35 mph sign.
now you pass the 35 miles sign and top the hill in front of the burger king and speed up to 45 ((wich is in site they will ticket you .
Its all a game they play 99% of the tickets they give out are nothing but a way to make money.
at 5 am on the way to work not another car in site ticketing someone for 55 in a 45 is a wast of there money.
some people are stupid and believe cops are there friends and will protect them .
Cops are MORE dangers then any criminal that has ever lived . With a criminal you KNOW what they will try to do with a COP you never know .with a criminal they will be charged ((notice i didn't say stopped )) with the crime wile cops will never be .
people come on here claiming some cops are good . another contradiction as if there is even ONE bad cop in there station they are ALL bad . IF you are in a car with a guy and he goes in robs a place EVEN IF YOU DIDINT have clue he did it you are charged with the crime as well .
So going by that LAW all cops are bad .Whats even worse the so called good cop you are or say you know also KNOWS a bad cop and SAYS NOTHING .Again making the so called good cop a asserie to there crime .
Cops are and always have been your worst danger dont ever fool your self other wise

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
cops don't like that.

been that way as long as i can remember. 60's.

we used to drive from ma to fl every year.

it was common place for people to warn each other of speed traps.

if it slows people down, that's a good thing but it takes revenue away from the state.

top topics

join