It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Try smokeless nicotine cigarettes, says government (UK)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Since a lot of you are expressing interest in trying Electronic Cigarettes I am going to give you a few tips all new users should know. I studied the in's and outs of e-cigs for 2 months before I bought my first starter kit.

There is a ton of different styles out there and different variables like 2 piece, 3 piece, top fed, bottom fed, dripping, cigarette size e-cig, fat e-cigs, e-cigs that don't look like cigarettes at all, thread sizes, mods, box mods, variable voltages, Tanks, pre-mixed e-juice or DIY E-juice, whats an Ohm rating and why do I need to know this, Why do I need to know about Watts and Voltages and on and on and that's just the model, let alone the legal and medical issues that vary from place to place. I haven't even mentioned all the things you need to know about flavorings or additives like sweeteners etc. It can be very confusing, daunting, overwhelming in fact. Before you jump into a purchase Get Educated.

I'm all about seeing folks who wish to quit smoking get off of harmful tobacco and if you choose to use an e-cig to do it that's great but I don't want you to have a bad experience then give up on it because you haven't been given all the info you need to know to understand these products or make the best use of them as happens often sadly and people go back to smoking cigarettes. This is about saving your life it's important to get it right.

Mall or petrol station e-cigs are way overpriced most of the time. Buy online if you can to keep cost down. Read everything you can and choose your first starter kit wisely. Here are some links to help get you educated so you can make the best choice for you.

www.e-cigarette-forum.com... - Beginners Guide - Start Here

vapingguides.com... - Vaping Guides Blog with Illustrations

www.e-cigarette-forum.com... - Frequently Asked Questions about E-cigs

The Electronic Cigarette Community has it's own live video Internet TV Shows where you can watch e-cig reviews and ask questions of the host in real time:

www.syndicateradio.tv... - Elixir TV

vapetv.com... - VapeTV

You Tube also has many e-cig related videos.

And you can of course become a member (Free) of The Electronic Cigarette Forum and ask questions. A great bunch of folks just like you and me helping others. www.e-cigarette-forum.com...

These should at least get you started and heading down the path to Vaping Zen

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall
ALRIGHT I caved I did some research and was surprised. As a current smoker there is no doubt this is a great alternative and possibly a better method to quit smoking all together. My main question would be are cartridges interchangeable between brands and how "authentic" and good tasting is the menthol and tobacco flavor?

I just spent over $200 for myself and my wife for two starter kits..

I wish you would have seen my post above before you purchased. I don't know what you ordered but chances are you could have saved money. In any event, I wish you The Best on this adventure and will always try to be available to answer any questions you may ask of me. This goes for anyone else too.

The cartridges are interchangeable between like thread sizes. 808, 901, 501 etc.. your atomizer or cartridge if it's a pre-filled 2 piece type will fit a thread size such as one of these. All 501's for instance will fit all 501 devices. They are not directly interchangeable with the 808 or 901 but you can buy adapters to make say a 501 atomizer work with the 901 model.

For beginners, the age old question is where to get a good tobacco flavor for an e-cig. This is hard to answer because even the best most of the time will not taste exactly like the regular or menthol flavor you are used to, but they can get pretty close. The Electric Cigarette Forum has tons of threads devoted to this issue. I have not found one that I think really taste like tobacco exactly. I do like a flavor called Wyatt Earp by a company called FreedomSmokeUSA that's a non menthol flavor.. However I suggest you get a few sample bottles of different flavored e-juice. Almost all vendors carry small sample bottles and they are cheap, a few dollars each. In this manner you can try different flavors without wasting a lot of money till you find the ones you like.

Even between batches and vendors making changes flavors can change. Best thing to do is join the E-cig Forum and ask in the new members forum. They will tell you what flavors are currently popular. www.e-cigarette-forum.com...

Myself, I haven't use a tobacco flavor in a while.. right now I'm enjoying Pineapple Milkshake and Mountain Dew as well as believe it or not, Coffee flavor.

Oh BTW folks. the Fire thing Can happen. That's because the batteries some brands use, Lithium Ion batteries can catch fire if they are not protected via a protection circuit or if they are dropped or mistreated. That's just the nature of Lithium Ion batteries. This is however very rare and most manufacturers carry good name brand batteries that have good track records.
edit on 18-9-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by R3N3G4D3

i can blow smoke rings with my brand of e-cig's

I went out to dinner the other night, sat at the table and puffed away

"I'm back baby"

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
i dont know all the details, but wouldnt cigarettes be a lot less damaging to peoples health if the just stopped the tabbacco companies from adding chemical preservatives to them. sure it gives them a longer shelf life but thats not worth risking peoples health for, is it?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Thanks for the great info JP. I've been planning to switch on over soon.
I've noticed a trend that many people on this website don't realize that it is the smoke that contains most of the carcinogens. Nicotine itself, while very addictive, isn't nearly as carcinogenic as the stuff they add to cigarettes and what's in the smoke.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Anyone seen "The Tourist?"
What was up with them discouraging e-ciggs, and encouraging regular tobacco?
"Don't smoke that...it gives you the same buzz, yet doesn't kill you [as fast]. You'll be cooler if you smoke something that we added poisons to."
that's what their subliminal message was...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

i was looking at these things. i decided against it because therses a chem in them thats untested on humans according to the site i was going to buy from. now the same guys who put fluoride in my water want me to use them. i think i`ll give em a miss

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aceofclubs

i was looking at these things. i decided against it because therses a chem in them thats untested on humans according to the site i was going to buy from. now the same guys who put fluoride in my water want me to use them. i think i`ll give em a miss

So don't trust the people who put fluoride in your water, but don't trust some random Internet site either. The only things that should be in your smoke juice are either PG or VG (both of which have extensive studies on humans and are currently found in 'foggers' at any night club, so you're probably already breathing them in), nicotine extracted from tobacco, and any additional flavoring (or none). I would really like to know what this 'untested' chemical is, and would also warn you to stay away from them. There are many sites where you can buy juice completely made from scratch, and know exactly what's in it, and there should be nothing to give you pause. Or you could just give up because you were too lazy to look into it yourself, and because the big bad government said it was ok so it must be bad.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris
i dont know all the details, but wouldnt cigarettes be a lot less damaging to peoples health if the just stopped the tabbacco companies from adding chemical preservatives to them. sure it gives them a longer shelf life but thats not worth risking peoples health for, is it?

Less damaging? Sure. A lot less? Probably not. Most of the carcinogens (by volume, not by number) simply come from the burning of the organic matter and inhaling it, which is going to be present in cigarettes no matter how they preserve it.

Contrary to what some have stated earlier in this thread, e-cigs do not 'burn' anything, the atomizer just heats the liquid up to the point where it turns into a vapor. It's still the same composition as what went in, unlike the smoke from burnt tobacco.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
E-cigarettes sound like a good idea but I have yet to see any studies on how much nicotine they deliver
I smoke pretty strong regular cigarettes so I really need the nic´

edit on 18-9-2011 by cripmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
From reading through the posts I think I see the problem with these "e-cigarettes." If any one of us smokers buys a pack of Malboro or for hand rollers, a pack of Golden Virginia loose tobacco then we are fairly sure of its origin. Although the product is lethal in the long run there is a measure of consumer confidence in that, "If I smoke this cigarette it will not make my head go bang or irradiate me."

When you buy an "e-cigarette" you don't have a clue where it came from. It could be coming from a company in "Yew Dong" that also produces low grade animal feed and recycles nuclear fuel rods.

edit on 18-9-2011 by PW229 because: typo

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Great post..Much appreciated as so many of us have an issue with tobacco products.....

I have a legitimate question with this....assistance From ats members is greatly appreciated.

My question??? I am a long time snuff user and would like to quit this habit. I know there are going to be those who say just go cold turkey..My attempts with this have led to fail...plain And simple.
Will e-cigs and their nicotine content help me with eliminating this smokeless product from my life?

I apologize if this is off topic..I'm desperate in my quest to quit.

Thank you for OP for posting this story..star and flag for you!

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by PW229

When you buy an "e-cigarette" you don't have a clue where it came from. It could be coming from a company in "Yew Dong" that also produces low grade animal feed and recycles nuclear fuel rods.

Or maybe they cook E and '___' on the side, I have zero confidence in any of these companies.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I want organic E-WII'D ^^

Sorry mods you can take it off, I just had too ^^

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Akasirus

no, no you get me wrong....i made the decision on the fact that in the ingredients list was a chemical that i looked up and found was not tested on humans so thought id pass on being a guinea pig

but now that the gov says to try em i like them even less

its one of the first sites to come up if you want to know.i`m on about the blue ended ones that give off vapor that everyone seems to have at the min. i was a bit gutted they would have been good for going out

give me a link if you know of clean just nicotine ones. i`ll check em out

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Dave Norris - It's not just preservatives added to tobacco. Natural untainted organicly grown tobacco still contains over 4000 (some say as hight as 6000 but I'll round off to 4 to make this easy) chemicals when it's burned 70 of these are known carcinogens. The rest of the 3930 chemicals are Unknown. This means that we have no idea how these effect the body. They could also be cancer causing agents, they could mess with your DNA, or anything.

Aceofclubs -

mentions there was said one ingredient that the company wasn't sure about - one unknown is better than 3930 wouldn't you think? That should make you throw down your tobacco cigs and run not walk to your nearest e-cig supplier.

This is part of the Big Lie and Coverup from Big Tobacco. They hid these facts for years and years from the public.

There is an approved list of 599 chemicals used in the manufacturing /processing of cigarettes.

Tobacco companies reporting this information were:
American Tobacco Company
Brown and Williamson
Liggett Group, Inc.
Philip Morris
R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company

While these ingredients are approved as additives for foods, they were not tested by burning them, and it is the burning of many of these substances which changes their properties, often for the worse. Over 4000 chemical compounds are created by burning a cigarette, many of which are toxic and/or carcinogenic. Carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, hydrogen cyanide and ammonia are all present in cigarette smoke. Forty-three known carcinogens are in mainstream smoke, sidestream smoke, or both.

This whole list is posted. Check it out

quitsmoking.about.com...

Aceofclubs -

I'd like to see this website you spoke of. It's possible as I have mentioned they are talking about the chemicals in some of the flavorings, which are known for not having long term testing. These can be easily avoided for anyone worrying about the use of these flavorings. Manufacturers are aware of the public's view on these so they list if they use these in their flavoring or not. For the most part, the E-cig Industry is made up of honest folks who care about the health of their customers.

cripmeister -

I know people who used to smoke 70 cigarettes of full flavor a day who have switched to e-cigs. Many people were heavy smokers who enjoy a high nicotine content. Myself I use 24 mg, which is considered high. I have not heard of anyone using higher than 36 mg.

I say, get the cheapest e-cig kit you can that allows you to use your own juice and put it to the test. This can be done for under 50 bucks. vaping is a little different than smoking because it doesn't hit you right away - takes a few minutes longer to get absorbed because the nicotine is more absorbed through the mouth and throat and less through the lungs as smoke does. Get several sample bottles of e-juice with different strengths, for a high nicitine user I'd say try 18 and 24 strength. Start vaping and then you get to that point where you KNOW you've had enough nicotine, you stop. It's just like that nick'd out feeling you get smoking cigarettes, except you do not get a head rush - its the carbon monoxide in burning tobacco that causes that. Trust me, every e-cig user will tell you you do get enough nicotine it just hits you slightly differently but you can feel it.

As for studies, there are studies. Browse through the threads here for more info: www.e-cigarette-forum.com...

PW229 -

This is a concern of e-cig users. There are lots of manufacturers who practice safe handling and quality control that are known and some bad manufacturers that are known too. These have been discovered and are reported on so the public will know what vendors to use who are considered good reputable vendors. No one wants to use a product that will cause them to be better off than the bad cigarettes they are trying to get away from. The Electronic cigarette Forum lists these reputable suppliers as well as continually discusses them and the issues involving them. www.e-cigarette-forum.com...

wutz4tom -

Yes, I believe they can help though you would have to adjust to using the e-cig, something that your not used to because your not a smoker. My best advice to you is to contact the good folks at CASAA for information about this. Or Join The E-cig forum and post a message about it there. www.e-cigarette-forum.com... I do believe I have read of some people using e-cigs for just that purpose.
casaa.org... Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association

edit on 18-9-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I am puffing on an E-cig as i type this. Before i made the switch i was a solid pack a day smoker, and i was going broke doing it. While trying to find a source of name brand cigs online (illegal i know) i came across the E-Cig.

After reading up on it for an hour or so i figured i would sleep on it and go from there.

The next day i went to a local gas station to pick up a pack and they had 1 time use electronic cigarettes. So i picked one up. At $10 it seemed pretty expensive, but i figured a "free trial" online would be a lot more expensive in the long run if i decided i didnt like it.

I smoked on it for a day and a half, so compared to what i normally would spend on a pack it about equaled out. The taste was not like a real cigarette, but i never felt like i was missing any nicotine in my system.

I had tried to quit a few weeks earlier, and after 3 days i felt like i was going to turn green and go on a HULK rampage at the slightest annoyance. That sealed the deal for me, so i got the $40 starter kit they sold along with the 1 time use kit.

This was great for me because it gave me the chance to experiment with it, and try different things.

The kit was a knockoff/re-branded Vapor King KR808 atomizer style. The 1 time use was the same style, but with a longer, larger capacity, battery with a Cartomizer.

After going 2 weeks using these the batteries started going dead on me faster and faster, my atomizer died, and the cartomizers were getting clogged due to refilling them with the only e-cig juice i could find locally, which was a much thicker VG juice.

I broke down and got a couple regular packs to hold me over while i waited for my new equipment and juice to arrive.

I ended up picking up the T-Rex, which is an eGo type of e-cig. I went with the cartomizers because they hold a lot more juice and you don't have to fill them as much. I also picked up 2 bottles of juice, totaling 60 mg of 24mg pg/vg blend tobacco flavored goodness.

This whole purchase cost me about $65, and i couldn't be happier.

Granted the one i originally purchased was a gas station brand, I highly recommend staying away from the KR808 model. The batteries don't last long, and when first making the switch it would be better to keep the hassle to a minimum to prevent being forced to pick up a regular cigarette while you are waiting.

My T-Rex has been running strong on a full charge for a day and a half now, and i have refilled the same cartomizer 3 times, its still working as well as it did on the first puff.

Since making the switch my lungs feel better, i don't snore as much, or as loudly, i don't feel out of breath as quickly, and i have recently finished "evacuating" my lungs of the left over nasty.

I am no expert by any means, but if anyone has any questions, or wants clarification feel free to U2U me.

DC

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Akasirus

ive given up anyway so i dont need either, my vice is caffeine now.... mmmmmm redbull

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Thanx for the great link! I went in & signed the petition to "un-ban" e-smokes in Canada...hopefully it won't fall on deaf ears.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

I took the advice of people on this thread to order ecigs for both my wife and myself. I was all hyped up, ready to do something better for myself and then...

I received the ecigs and right on the box it says the following

"WARNING: This product contains nicotine, an addictive substance known in the state of California to cause birth defects and cancer. Be aware of the risks associated with this product prior to use,"

Obviously this is not a product that is completely safe and "just water vapor" as many of the cheerleaders in this thread portray. I'm starting to believe this thread was run and created by ecig salespeople because the lies are running rampant. Cigarettes cause cancer and so do ecigs. Enough healthy bs talking. It cost me a lot of money believing in you.

Thanks so much for convincing me to spend $200+ dollars on something that is also going to give me cancer by using it..
edit on 23-9-2011 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join